Bears release Tarik Cohen & Danny Trevathan

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Figured on Cohen. Seeing him hobble around reminded me of watching RB3 in the off-season trying to walk down a set of steps with a kid in tow post surgery. He could not handle the stairs. I new at that moment his career was over.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am never going to rip on Trevathan. I was a huge fan of the intial signing.

The extension he got might be one of the worst NFL contracts I ever bothered to look at, but I have already let my feelings about the mastermind behind that financial nightmare be known in this thread.
What boggled my mind the worst was Danny T already got paid and was retained through an expensive "favor" level contract by John Fox. We didn't owe him nothing...he and his wouldn't starve for generations. It was "one of the worst NFL contracts I ever bothered to look at," also because it was unnecessary by seemingly over double his open market. Too long. Already drafted behind with high character, and a high impact position with shelf life. The unbelievable part from a football perspective is Danny was speed hampered in the beginning. He wasn't a guy that could lose a step he was already making up for a step.
After largely getting away with an abomination contract and length/age the first go around they doubled down even with signs of missed games creeping up.

I don't think the franchise got better or passed on our legacy by losing Mack or Goldman. I don't think we need to crater here, we should be trying to build momentum and win the game of attrition game by game. Does a second round pick strengthen the foundations of anything as much as having the reps and example of Mack? Getting off the field is necessary to help a young QB...

I don't like going backward to such little return when you can get amazing players around amazing players and build something long term. Whats salary to us if we aren't able to push all the chips in? What are we going to buy now that makes us better than Mack can?

I hope Goldman and Cohen get a chance to stick around for jobs at appropriate salaries. Goldman had a down year so this is not unexpected, but as bad as his 2021 tape is I think personally that it takes a year back after an absence of that length. He had a pass with me and I think we lose something there at a time we won't have Hicks.

Nichols and Daniels on cap friendly long term deals that eat the money early seem like good ideas at their age. Especially when you look ahead to needing to trade or release Whitehair.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Poles could somehow trade Eddie Jackson now...

Ernie54

Liked Posts:
So was Kwiat over Trevathan. How'd that work out.
Always thought that was a bad decision. These cuts send a clear message to players on the roster-Bears will no longer tolerate incompetence. If you are one of the whys, good luck with your new team.