Bears rookie minicamp notes: day 3

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs
#Bears gathered for a team photo at end of rookie minicamp pic.twitter.com/YiGVbyrPHW

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 2h
#Bears 1st rd pick Kyle Long spent some time at right tackle today but largely because of shortage of players. Jordan Mills went to RG.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 2h
#Bears intrigued by play of undrafted CB CJ Wilson over the weekend. He had top speed at NC State.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 1h
#Bears expected to sign CB Maurice Jones to contract. He was in minicamp on tryout basis.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 1h
With only 89 players on roster, #Bears do not have to cut anyone to add Temple CB Maurice Jones as an undrafted free agent. He is 5-9, 193.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 20h
Former #Bears LB Wilber Marshall says 2nd rd pick Jon Bostic has an "opportunity to do something great." http://trib.in/12lC0Iv

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 20h
#Bears LB Khaseem Greene could be a natural playmaker at the position per @DanPompei http://trib.in/14e14kJ

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 21h
#Bears WR Marquess Wilson, 7th rd pick from Washington State, excited for fresh opportunity. http://trib.in/10qlxyx

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 3h
With good friend Eric LeGrand in mind, #Bears rookie Khaseem Greene living NFL dream : http://bit.ly/ZSjtQW

Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 2h
Kyle Long practiced at right guard and right tackle today. Some snaps included him at RT, and fellow rookie Jordan Mills at RG. #Bears

Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 1h
The #Bears have been experimenting with putting helmet cams, putting one on QB Matt Blanchard. What's the point? Here's what Marc Trestman said about the use of the helmet cam for his QBs:

“Really haven’t even looked at it. We’ve got [the videos] in our system right now. We really haven’t spent any time evaluating what we would get out of it or what we have gotten out of it. But it was to fun to do it. I’ve peeked at it but I really didn’t study it. We’ll see what unfolds this week and what we think we can do with it or move it around. Can we put on a top of the helmet as opposed to the side of the helmet? It’s kind of just fun just working with it, but it’s not a major part of our focus. It’s taken on a little bit of a life of its own over the last 24 hours and I don’t know if deserves that much attention.”

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 2h
Matt Blanchard was the only veteran at practice today. The others were given the day off to rest up for OTAs this week.

Aaron Kromer says he used Long at tackle and Mills at guard today in order to check out their versatility. Only 7 OL dress on gameday.

#Bears held their first outdoor practice of the Marc Trestman era today: pic.twitter.com/YbqEQpsNkj

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 13m
Aaron Kromer on Kyle Long missing next month: "With technology today, he won't physically be here, but he'll be here."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 10m
Aaron Kromer says he will watch video with Kyle Long via Skype to work on technique and gameplan implementation.

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 8m
Long on missing time: "I'll be taking progressive steps to get to where I want to be as a player to be able to help this football team."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 6m
"It's unfortunate that I won't be able to be out here for OTAs," said Kyle Long. "Just trust that we'll be able to take care of that."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 4m
Marc Trestman on QB helmet cam: "I don't look at it as being something that we're going to have out here on a daily basis."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 3m
Marc Trestman on QB helmet cam: "It was fun to do it this weekend."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 1m
Trestman:"[Helmet cam's taken] a little bit of a life of its own over the last 24 hours & I don't know that it deserves that much attention"

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 1m
Marc Trestman: "We're working to create an environment as much like a game as we can throughout our practice."

Matt Bowen ‏@MattBowen41 5h
How did #Bears rookies respond to mini-camp? My Chicago Trib column on Long, Bostic & adjustment to pro practice: http://trib.in/15zJpbN

Chicago Bears ‏@ChicagoBears 1h
LM: #Bears undrafted rookie Michael Ford adds depth, competition to return game. Story: http://bit.ly/19dX58J

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Bears rookies pacing themselves in minicamp
Adjusting to speed of NFL practices one of the main focuses of three-day event

Matt Bowen

Scouting the Bears

3:27 PM CDT, May 11, 2013
Advertisement
Click here to find out more!

Rookie minicamp should be viewed as an introduction to the NFL for the Bears' top draft picks. It's a sampling of the pro-style practices under coach Marc Trestman that players might define as up-tempo and fast.

There are no pads, no contact and — more important — no veteran competition at Halas Hall this weekend.

First-round pick Kyle Long isn't competing against Henry Melton in team drills, and linebacker Jon Bostic isn't running the inside vertical seam in Cover-2 against Martellus Bennett or Brandon Marshall.

Instead, the focus of this three-day camp is on athleticism, technique and the conditioning levels of these draft picks who are transitioning after workouts, pro days and 40-yard dashes.

I wasn't surprised to see some rookies play like they were carrying pianos on their backs at the end of the first session Friday. That's when legs get heavy, hamstrings get tight and technique begins to suffer.

Every rookie has been there — hands on your hips, short of breath and realizing these pro practices are no joke. Throw in some extra special teams drills, and guys get winded quickly.

In watching Long and Bostic on the practice field, they looked the part because of their pure athletic ability. That should have been expected during this camp. And it meshes with the scouting style of general manager Phil Emery: draft athletes and draft speed.

Long lined up at right guard. His size is obvious, as are his movement skills. The No. 20 pick showed the ability to mirror (slide the feet, match lateral speed) in pass protection, get to the second level in the running game and play with a strong, athletic base.

There is plenty to work with here. I can see the draw from a pure scouting perspective to draft a player with Long's skill set. Play him on the inside as a rookie and look to develop him at tackle once he matures.

Bostic is a fit for this defense. He runs like an outside linebacker. This is a passing league in which linebackers are asked to play coverage, drive on the ball and match to speed in the open field.

Bostic showed clean footwork during drills, the ability to open his hips in coverage and a burst in pursuit when the ball got to the edge.

At Florida, Bostic played more Cover-1 (man-free) and Cover-3 (3-deep, 4-under zone) than the core Cover-2 the Bears lean on. Once the pads go on and Bostic has to compete in drills during camp, his run/pass keys will need to be quicker, as will his ability to read route stems in the middle of the field.

However, the foundation is there to work with a young linebacker I can see lining up in the middle or at the Sam (strong-side) and Will (weak-side) positions.

Now that the rookies have a taste of what the league will demand from a practice and conditioning standpoint, they can work to improve their functional strength and prepare for the real competition in Bourbonnais.

Because that's where these rookies ultimately will earn the respect of proven veterans.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Playmaker Greene could be natural fit for Bears 'D'
Safety-turned-linebacker has knack for creating turnovers, pressuring QB

Dan Pompei

On the NFL

8:01 PM CDT, May 11, 2013
Advertisement

If Khaseem Greene can do for the Bears what he did for Rutgers, he soon will be in a group that includes Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman, Julius Peppers and Henry Melton.

Because what Greene did was make plays, as his new teammates have.

In fact, you could call Greene an extraordinary playmaker.

The fourth-round pick made 27 impact tackles at linebacker, tied for the most in college football, according to STATS. Impact tackles are defined as tackles on gains of 1 or 2 yards that do not result in first downs.

Greene forced six fumbles last year, also tied for most in the country.

He made plays moving backward. His coverage burn percentage of 51.6 percent was best among linebackers at the combine.

And he made plays moving forward. He had 21 pressures and 18 quarterback knockdowns, fourth-most among linebackers.

Said Greene: "I like to blitz. I like to cover. I just like to hit, really."

He has a nice package of skills, especially considering he became a linebacker only two years ago. Greene came to Rutgers as a 210-pound free safety. But he kept growing to the point where he now weighs 245.

If the trend continues, Greene will be playing defensive tackle next year. But he intends to make the needle on the scale start moving in the opposite direction.

"Coach (Greg) Schiano told me the bigger I got, the closer I would get to the ball," Greene said. "We needed more speed at the linebacker position, so he switched me."

Greene's safety roots help explain some of his strengths as a linebacker. And some of his weaknesses.

"The main thing it's done for me is help me be a better coverage linebacker," Greene said.

After all the work he did at safety, he said he now finds it second nature to cover running backs and anticipate pass-route moves. He knows what to expect from a tight end. He understands how a slot receiver will try to get open.

Greene can run sideline to sideline, and he can stay with the tight end down the seam. He has the athleticism and bulk to play any of the linebacker positions in the Bears' scheme, though he appears best suited for the position where he is starting out: the weak side.

Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker should be able to do a lot of things with Greene. He certainly has proved to be a dynamic blitzer.

"I'm quick," he said. "I've got a quick twitch. I'm instinctive."

But Greene does not always move like the most natural linebacker. That's understandable given his relative lack of experience at the position.

There is a difference in reading the play from 15 yards off the line, where safeties line up, and 5 yards off the line, where linebackers typically begin. Safeties have more time to react and more margin for error.

Greene does not always play downhill fast. If he did, he might have been a second-round pick instead of a fourth. But he said he believes he is improving at playing downhill.

He also is working on getting his pad level down.

"That's the big thing that (playing) safety does to you is it naturally keeps you high because you are always in an up-tall stance," he said. "You are so used to everything coming to you and you having time to do things, instead of now being a linebacker, it's see it, react, go."

Greene also missed 16 tackles last season, a big number. Part of that may be attributable to the fact he was going for the ball so much. He has become effective at batting the ball out.

"It's become second nature," he said. "A lot of times I do it without thinking. I see an opportunity and just go do it."

Greene said he has watched Tillman's style and plans on trying to learn from how he creates fumbles.

"My mentality is I want to get the ball back and I want to get it to my offense, or it would be even better if the defense could pick it up and score," he said. "That's my philosophy when it comes to defense is getting to the ball, creating takeaways and then just going from there."

Sounds like Greene should fit in quite nicely on the Bears defense.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Rookie Bostic has link to '85 Bears
Second-round pick's father grew up with another linebacker from Florida: Wilber Marshall

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

3:25 PM CDT, May 11, 2013
Advertisement

Before Jon Bostic chose to attend Florida, he got some advice on college football from Wilber Marshall, maybe the best defender ever to play for the Gators.

Now that Bostic is at the next level as a second-round pick of the Bears — 29 years after the team used the 11th overall pick to draft Marshall — one of the stars of the 1985 defense doesn't feel the need to pass on advice.

"He's got his opportunity to do something great," Marshall said. "Now that (Brian) Urlacher is gone, hopefully he can get a fast start. He's got a lot of speed and he's a very smart kid. He can pick up things very quickly. He'll be just like Urlacher. Just like Mike Singletary."

Such praise might be a bit much for Bostic at this point. But Marshall has a rooting interest. He has been friends with Bostic's father, Jon Sr., since they grew up together in Titusville, Fla. Bostic didn't study Marshall closely until after he enrolled at Florida and made the transition from defensive back, which he played in high school.

Bostic's speed — at 6-foot-1, 246 pounds, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds at the scouting combine — was easy to see Friday on the first day of rookie minicamp at Halas Hall. His footwork was also good, as one would expect from a former defensive back who was trained by a DB. Jon Sr. played for the Lions from 1985 to '87.

The Bears signed former Bronco D.J. Williams to replace Urlacher, but if everything goes right, Bostic will be able to challenge for playing time. How long it will take to get on the field is up to him.

Lance Briggs, a third-round pick in 2003, became a starter in his fourth game, and Urlacher moved into the lineup in Week 3 of 2000. They're the last two draft picks at linebacker to have any production for the Bears.

"I am going to try to make the first impact on special teams and do what I can, and hopefully I get on the field," Bostic said.

Some might view following a franchise player such as Urlacher as an intimidating task because it's going to be difficult for Williams, Bostic or anyone to become the player the eight-time Pro Bowl selection was. Bostic views it as a positive challenge.

"There can't be a drop-off," he said. "That's for the whole defense. We have to make sure that defense stays in the top five."

Some scouts didn't give Bostic high grades for his instincts at the position, perhaps because he is still relatively new to it. But he has football smarts and played four years of varsity ball at Palm Beach Central with his father serving as a position coach.

"It is pretty evident when you watch his tape that he got better every year and played his best football as a senior, which is a real testament to the type of kid he is and his work ethic and how he takes coaching," said D.J. Durkin, Florida's linebackers coach last season and now the defensive coordinator.

"He was a guy that had played at a young age in his career and played a lot of football for us, and sometimes those guys become hard to coach. He's not one of them."

The coaching staff challenged Bostic to get better at handling blocks and playing physical at the point of attack before his senior season.

"There was great improvement in that, and a lot of it was with technique and the way he was doing things," Durkin said. "His senior year he played square, taking on blocks, defeating blocks, really became more of a physical player. ... He worked really hard to do that, and it showed up."

Earlier this week, Bostic's father sat down with him and they talked about a few things.

"Thirty years ago going into camp is different than it is now, so I can't really tell him what camp is going to be like," Jon Sr. said. "So I said, 'Look, be humble. Don't act like you know everything, but don't be afraid to show someone how much you know.'

"That's the biggest advice I can give him: 'Remember, they are bringing you there for a reason, and you have to find that reason and show them they made a good choice.' Other than that — and this is what I have told him his whole life — have fun."

His father also passed along Marshall's phone number. Bostic said he owes the former Bear a call.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Wilson eager to join Bears' WR competition

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter

2:56 PM CDT, May 11, 2013
Advertisement

A case can be made the Chicago Bears needed to find a vertical target in the draft and while that might not be Marquess Wilson’s strong suit, it’s hard to ignore the big production he had at Washington State.

The seventh-round draft pick enters an interesting situation with a clear opportunity to battle for a roster spot. Devin Hester is no longer working with the wide receivers and plans to utilize Eric Weems with the offense never really materialized last season when he got just 129 snaps (8.06 per game).

That means there is wide open competition after the top three of Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery and Earl Bennett and the Bears obviously saw enough in Wilson to not be deterred by problems he had in school with coach Mike Leach. Wilson, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine, said those issues are in the past and he’s starting with a clean slate.

“He’s been great,” Bears coach Marc Trestman said. “He started at zero here with everything and we’ve talked it through and we know all the issues, which are very minimal. He’s a young guy and we’re evaluating him here and continue to try to help him grow as a person as well as a player.”

The Bears list Wilson at 6-4, 184 pounds, and he looks very lean so the team will surely want him to show his commitment in the weight room and bulk him up. Trestman said it is premature to say if Wilson needs to add weight but added he is only 20 and should fill out a little naturally.

“He has got a lot of growing to do as well, I am sure, and being around here and being involved in our weight program over the next few months is certainly going to help him,” Trestman said. “He is going to get stronger. He’ll get thicker, he’ll have more girth to him as he moves forward as well I am sure. He will be around at a place where he will be able to eat right.”

It will be interesting to see how Wilson develops in terms of learning the playbook and the nuances of the position. Jeffery got on the field quickly last season as a rookie and he came out of South Carolina a year early.

“I thought he was better today certainly than he was yesterday,” Trestman said. “He was a little bit leg weary I think from the travel and I thought he stepped up today and was a little more involved and had his feet underneath him, had a little more balance and you could see his movement and his skill level certainly.”

Wilson said it’s been challenging trying to absorb so much information at one time.

“This offense is pretty tough,” he said. “But it’s like that either way anywhere you go. If you’re new to it, you don’t know much about it and then you just come in and it’s just all pushed on you. You’ve got to work hard. You’ve really got to be in the books when we get our playbooks and we’ve got to study with each other and just get the plays down and execute.”

As far as what happened to him in school, he’s looking ahead and not focusing on what he went through last fall.

“I was just happy I got drafted,” he said. “I was just happy that I got a second opportunity, another chance to go out here and play football again. I just want to take full advantage of that opportunity and be close to the team and just work hard out here for them.”

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
First-round pick Kyle Long isn't competing against Henry Melton in team drills, and linebacker Jon Bostic isn't running the inside vertical seam in Cover-2 against Martellus Bennett or Brandon Marshall.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

those are going to be huge challenges for these young players... but just remember... when preseason comes... its only going to make these guys better... and that's the only way to look at it...

I would hope they learn to play the position the way the coach wants before they are expected to come in and shut down NFL stars... understanding the system is a big part of executing your role in that system...

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
I'm very happy with the kids we have added. Some here don't like Bostic, but he was a kid I really wanted to see us get before the draft. He has the speed, and ability to be a very good player in chicago, I can't wait. I also like Greene, though I get the feeling he may be a bit more raw than some believe. Frey isn't a rookie, however I really am looking forward to seeing him develop as well.

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"The Bears list Wilson at 6-4, 184 pounds, and he looks very lean so the team will surely want him to show his commitment in the weight room and bulk him up. Trestman said it is premature to say if Wilson needs to add weight but added he is only 20 and should fill out a little naturally."

He's going to grow another inch, or two, and add at least 25 pounds before he's done growing. (I sure hope this kid succeeds)

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

It's rookie mini camp, of course he's not. What's your point Les?

Cutlerfan0615

Liked Posts:
It's rookie mini camp, of course he's not. What's your point Les?

I believe he is stating not to jump the gun on anything.

It's good to get word of progress though.

"The Bears list Wilson at 6-4, 184 pounds, and he looks very lean so the team will surely want him to show his commitment in the weight room and bulk him up. Trestman said it is premature to say if Wilson needs to add weight but added he is only 20 and should fill out a little naturally."

He's going to grow another inch, or two, and add at least 25 pounds before he's done growing. (I sure hope this kid succeeds)

Really an inch or two? From 6-4? Though I think he is actually 6-3, but still.

I'm unsure tbo, but that would be awesome if he pans out. C'mon Mike Leach, tell me you did some crazy shit.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I liked the Bostic pick. I don't like that Emery said he will make a solid special teams player. I expect a 2nd round pick to be starting right off the bat. Do you guys think Bostic will be starting at some point this season? I hope so.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I liked the Bostic pick. I don't like that Emery said he will make a solid special teams player. I expect a 2nd round pick to be starting right off the bat. Do you guys think Bostic will be starting at some point this season? I hope so.

Personally think the DJ Williams is probably good enough to hold Bostic off for one season.

Also, day 1 started at MLB from the 2nd round is a pretty high expectation imo. The main thing is that these pics can develop into long term starters. Imo, thats a lot more important than them being instant impact players.

Oh, and the line about them playing on ST... thats coach speak and something they say about every single draft pick, every year. It in no way means they expect the player to be a ST specialist. All they are really saying is that the guy can contribute to the 53 man roster.

Rusty Trombone

Liked Posts:
i dont what brigg's last season on his contract looks like, but i could definately see a year from now bostic starting a WLB and DJ getting the extension at MLB.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say let Bostic start at mlb and slide williams to slb to get our best pass rusher there