1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Legends back?

Article I found from the Tribune...

Chicago Bears: They should bring legends back into the fold - chicagotribune.com

It would be more appropriate to see him selling the team as an ambassador than to see him taking shots at it as a former player who feels distanced.

This is where the Bears could benefit from being more like the Blackhawks. When he became president of the Hawks, John McDonough embraced club history and hired team legends Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito and Denis Savard to represent the team.

The Bears never have had to try very hard to sell themselves because they are the Bears. They have come a long, long way from the days when George Halas would stop by the Chicago newspaper offices to hand deliver press releases. Even in lean times, they rarely have problems selling tickets or generating television ratings.

But that doesn't mean they couldn't benefit from bridging the gap between themselves and the public. One way to do that would be to have players such as Sayers being front men for the team.

It's not like this franchise has a shortage of living legends who would be willing and able, either. Start with Sayers, Dick Butkus and Mike Ditka. You might even reach back to Doug Atkins. Keep it going with Dan Hampton and Richard Dent and other members of the 1985 team.

It would create a feel-good situation. It would make current players know they are a part of something bigger. It would make some of their great players feel connected and vital. And it would stop the kind of headlines that were generated Wednesday when Sayers made some pretty innocuous comments about the Bears — his Bears.

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is funny because Sayers was just ripping the entire organization.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
No way he is a bitter old man like me because every year we watch as these players get more and more money. Hell its easy to say that rookies make more money before they step on a pro field the we made in our whole career

omc1969

Liked Posts:
No way he is a bitter old man like me because every year we watch as these players get more and more money. Hell its easy to say that rookies make more money before they step on a pro field the we made in our whole career

Sad but true!

RustedShut

Liked Posts:
It's cool to hear their input, but they are hardly experts. Sayers proclaimed that Urlacher was 33 - he's only 31. :bears::buttrock:

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
As long as they aren't bitter old men. I am all for it.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is funny because Sayers was just ripping the entire organization.

No he wasn't. Not really.

I read the article and his comments really weren't as critical as the press made
them out to be.

Gale Sayers criticizes Cutler, Urlacher

He said "Cutler hasn't done the job. They need a couple wide receivers, a couple defensive backs. They haven't done a good job."

Based on last years 7-9 record he's right. Now, it wasn't all Cutler's fault, but he's responsible for a lot of those ints. Notice he didn't say "Cutler is a bad QB" or "he's good, but not good enough;" Just that he hasn't (yet) done the job.

The receivers may be better this year with another year of experience, but a good big veteran sure wouldn't hurt, and everyone agrees that upgrading the defensive secondary was a priority.

He also said "If Lovie doesn't do it this year, I think he's gone. He had a good team the Super Bowl year. Nothing came together for him the last couple years."

Doesn't EVERYBODY believe Lovie will be gone if the Bears don't make the playoffs this year? The Super Bowl team WAS good, and the teams from the last 3 years ... not so much.

Lastly, he expressed "doubts [that] Urlacher will return to form after missing last season with a wrist injury."

It's probably overly optimistic to believe that Urlacher will be as good as he was in '06, (He still has back problems) but he should be about as good as he was in '07 and '08, maybe a little better with more pressure from the D-line. And that's still pretty good.

Sayres wasn't "ripping" the Bears. he was just expressing the same opinion most fans have.

Now, I love Gayle. He was a great football player who's career was tragically cut short by an unfortunate injury. However, even though I just defended what he said, as a fan, I don't really care what he thinks of the team and I wish he would just keep his mouth shut.

And as a legendary Bears veteran you would think he would be a bit more diplomatic in what he says about his former team. Unfortunately, sports writers need to write copy everyday, and they think Chicago Bears fans care what Sayres thinks.

We really don't.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:

I read the article and his comments really weren't as critical as the press made
them out to be.

He said "Cutler hasn't done the job. They need a couple wide receivers, a couple defensive backs. They haven't done a good job."

Based on last years 7-9 record he's right. Now, it wasn't all Cutler's fault, but he's responsible for a lot of those ints. Notice he didn't say "Cutler is a bad QB" or "he's good, but not good enough;" Just that he hasn't (yet) done the job.

The receivers may be better this year with another year of experience, but a good big veteran sure wouldn't hurt, and everyone agrees that upgrading the defensive secondary was a priority.

He also said "If Lovie doesn't do it this year, I think he's gone. He had a good team the Super Bowl year. Nothing came together for him the last couple years."

Doesn't EVERYBODY believe Lovie will be gone if the Bears don't make the playoffs this year? The Super Bowl team WAS good, and the teams from the last 3 years ... not so much.

Lastly, he expressed "doubts [that] Urlacher will return to form after missing last season with a wrist injury."

It's probably overly optimistic to believe that Urlacher will be as good as he was in '06, (He still has back problems) but he should be about as good as he was in '07 and '08, maybe a little better with more pressure from the D-line. And that's still pretty good.

Sayres wasn't "ripping" the Bears. he was just expressing the same opinion most fans have.

Now, I love Gayle. He was a great football player who's career was tragically cut short by an unfortunate injury. However, even though I just defended what he said, as a fan, I don't really care what he thinks of the team and I wish he would just keep his mouth shut.

And as a legendary Bears veteran you would think he would be a bit more diplomatic in what he says about his former team. Unfortunately, sports writers need to write copy everyday, and they think Chicago Bears fans care what Sayres thinks.

We really don't.

Great points. He stepped up and said it.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

them out to be.

We really don't.

Sayers runs his mouth too much..he's been adept at that for years.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree
At least he's not as bad as Fran Tarkenton...

Status
Not open for further replies.