Bears sign corner and TE

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
I'm starting to agree with Jeff Mans that this might be the worst roster in the league this year. I gotta see the results but right now I'm losing any sense of optimism.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
My daddy can beat up your daddy...hahaha.

How old are you kid? You act like you just got in your teens.

Fucking child.
Why are you always so hostile and stalking of certain members of this forum like in all of your postings every day when we are all bear fans and should literally be a Bears brotherhood but you act like your brothers ****ed your mother most of the time on this board it's literally repugnant and udderly YUCKY way to behave 24-7-365 why don't you take a chill pill!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Both solid signings. Bears needed veteran depth at both positions. Probably don't need to add another TE now, unless it's a project late in the draft or as a UDFA. Still need at least 1 more CB. Young is probably similar to Trufant (but at nickel instead of outside). If he's healthy during camp and none of the young guys step up, he'll make the team and probably play decently if not very well. If he can't stay healthy, and Vildor, Graham, draft pick don't step up, you may need to add a guy later. I still wouldn't be opposed to adding a guy like Steven Nelson right now and letting the chips fall where they may. Still need to draft a CB, I think.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm starting to agree with Jeff Mans that this might be the worst roster in the league this year. I gotta see the results but right now I'm losing any sense of optimism.
Its all about the QB...

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Why are you always so hostile and stalking of certain members of this forum like in all of your postings every day when we are all bear fans and should literally be a Bears brotherhood but you act like your brothers ****ed your mother most of the time on this board it's literally repugnant and udderly YUCKY way to behave 24-7-365 why don't you take a chill pill!
It is weird that his entire ccs persona revolves around 1 member that he supposedly hates. I wouldn't be surprised if he has @Anytime23 avatar picture up in his bedroom with the creepy obsessive way he acts towards him.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Probably don't need to add another TE now, unless it's a project late in the draft or as a UDFA.
Why? Kmet hasn't exactly established himself as a guy you can't take off the field or else. If you think you've got the next Darren Waller-esque type player on the board in the 3rd (Isiah Likely for example), why not take him? Cause Cole Kmet is already on the roster? Nah.

Still need at least 1 more CB. Young is probably similar to Trufant (but at nickel instead of outside). If he's healthy during camp and none of the young guys step up, he'll make the team and probably play decently if not very well. If he can't stay healthy, and Vildor, Graham, draft pick don't step up, you may need to add a guy later. I still wouldn't be opposed to adding a guy like Steven Nelson right now and letting the chips fall where they may. Still need to draft a CB, I think.
This is why I like these types of signings. Get guys who have something to prove on the cheap. You need bodies, guys who can capably perform the job so you're not dying to fill positions and thus pass up on potential game breakers because "damnit I really needed a tackle." It's why I'd like to see one more vet brought in on the O line before the draft.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It is weird that his entire ccs persona revolves around 1 member that he supposedly hates. I wouldn't be surprised if he has @Anytime23 avatar picture up in his bedroom with the creepy obsessive way he acts towards him.
100%
I guarantee my username is written down a few times by his therapists

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Why? Kmet hasn't exactly established himself as a guy you can't take off the field or else. If you think you've got the next Darren Waller-esque type player on the board in the 3rd (Isiah Likely for example), why not take him? Cause Cole Kmet is already on the roster? Nah.

This is why I like these types of signings. Get guys who have something to prove on the cheap. You need bodies, guys who can capably perform the job so you're not dying to fill positions and thus pass up on potential game breakers because "damnit I really needed a tackle." It's why I'd like to see one more vet brought in on the O line before the draft.
It's not even about Kmet necessarily. But he's the starting TE. Griffin has been a starter and played 54% of the snaps for the Jets last year (more than any skill player). Then you have Horsted. Don't really need to keep more than 3 TEs (again, we gotta stop thinking about the Nagy era where we had 4-5 TEs on the roster that he didn't use), especially when 2 are capable of a high number of snaps.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
It's not even about Kmet necessarily. But he's the starting TE. Griffin has been a starter and played 54% of the snaps for the Jets last year (more than any skill player). Then you have Horsted. Don't really need to keep more than 3 TEs (again, we gotta stop thinking about the Nagy era where we had 4-5 TEs on the roster that he didn't use), especially when 2 are capable of a high number of snaps.
It's not about 4 and 5 tight ends, it's about grabbing talent in the draft that you can build with. The tight end position, probably more than any other position on the roster right now, is an example of what you should have, at minimum, going into the draft. Kmet still has some potential, you like Horsted as a situational pass catcher and we got a guy with starting experience on the cheap who can play and not be awful. In terms of entering the draft, I don't have to pick a tight end in order to avoid trotting out some league-worst talent at the position.

But, there's not enough there to stop me from grabbing an impact player if the opportunity arises. If I've got a 3rd round grade on a guy like Charlie Kolar (just for argument's sake here) and he's available for me in the 5th, are Jesper Horsted and Ryan Griffin going to stop me from taking a guy I feel is a plug and play starter as early as this coming season? They certainly shouldn't anyway. And if I've done my job as a GM and made sure as many positions on the roster are in a similar spot (at least some passable starters) then I shouldn't feel the pressure to HAVE to draft a certain position and thus take a 5th round graded corner over a 3rd round graded tight end. That's how I build a team over the long haul that can compete and that can eventually afford to lose guys to free agency (and thus get comp picks) because I'm never really drafting guys because I need someone to play his position, I'm drafting guys because they're consistently the best players available.

Of course this only works if the GM/scouts can do a good job identifying those guys. That remains to be seen.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Blassingame is also a TE, although he is going to align in the backfield a lot.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

This might be a Moon Night situation with @dabears70 as Steven Grant and @Anytime23 as Marc Spector.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
My daddy can beat up your daddy...hahaha.

How old are you kid? You act like you just got in your teens.

Fucking child.

Why are you so angry all the time man?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
It's not about 4 and 5 tight ends, it's about grabbing talent in the draft that you can build with. The tight end position, probably more than any other position on the roster right now, is an example of what you should have, at minimum, going into the draft. Kmet still has some potential, you like Horsted as a situational pass catcher and we got a guy with starting experience on the cheap who can play and not be awful. In terms of entering the draft, I don't have to pick a tight end in order to avoid trotting out some league-worst talent at the position.

But, there's not enough there to stop me from grabbing an impact player if the opportunity arises. If I've got a 3rd round grade on a guy like Charlie Kolar (just for argument's sake here) and he's available for me in the 5th, are Jesper Horsted and Ryan Griffin going to stop me from taking a guy I feel is a plug and play starter as early as this coming season? They certainly shouldn't anyway. And if I've done my job as a GM and made sure as many positions on the roster are in a similar spot (at least some passable starters) then I shouldn't feel the pressure to HAVE to draft a certain position and thus take a 5th round graded corner over a 3rd round graded tight end. That's how I build a team over the long haul that can compete and that can eventually afford to lose guys to free agency (and thus get comp picks) because I'm never really drafting guys because I need someone to play his position, I'm drafting guys because they're consistently the best players available.

Of course this only works if the GM/scouts can do a good job identifying those guys. That remains to be seen.
I mean, that's basically what I said. A 3rd day pick or UDFA. There's not a position on the roster that's set enough to not take an upside guy on Day 3, not even QB or RB. But with Griffin, I feel like TE joins QB and RB as positions I don't even think about in the 2nd or 3rd. Could put DE on this list as well, because they have good talent there and probably the deepest position on the team, but that's such an important position and you can play several guys there per game.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I mean, that's basically what I said. A 3rd day pick or UDFA. There's not a position on the roster that's set enough to not take an upside guy on Day 3, not even QB or RB. But with Griffin, I feel like TE joins QB and RB as positions I don't even think about in the 2nd or 3rd.
And I'm saying if a stellar talent at TE were to fall to you in the 2nd or 3rd relative to other players available, you take that guy without a second thought. Considering McBride is the consensus top TE in the draft and figures to be available well into the 2nd like Kmet was when we drafted him, yea I wouldn't pick him in the 2nd. If he managed to drop to the 3rd then maybe, if he's rated that much higher than all the other guys available.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
And I'm saying if a stellar talent at TE were to fall to you in the 2nd or 3rd relative to other players available, you take that guy without a second thought. Considering McBride is the consensus top TE in the draft and figures to be available well into the 2nd like Kmet was when we drafted him, yea I wouldn't pick him in the 2nd. If he managed to drop to the 3rd then maybe, if he's rated that much higher than all the other guys available.
Ah, I got ya. I don't agree, but certainly makes sense.