Bears sign DL DeMarcus Walker from Titans

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Needed**** I mean geeze sorry I have a critique of the off season lol chill out. Don’t rip your dick off to a single moderately negative comment.

Going into the year I thought they needed a whitehair replacement, a center, a RT at minimum.

I’m cautiously optimistic to the Davis signing though I’m incredibly uncertain where he’s going to play or how the line shifts
Patience. This is the right way to build a team. None of these teams that went crazy in free agency had any sort of sustained success.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Like Davis....but isn't he primarily a RG?

Who are they moving and where to?

Jenkins to LG or RT (he's more comfortable on the right but can he play tackle) or Davis to LG (can he play the left side)
Whitehair to C is the most recent rumor. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Would like 1more FA DL signing. That’s it.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Patience. This is the right way to build a team. None of these teams that went crazy in free agency had any sort of sustained success.
Look it’s unrealistic to get 6 starters in 1 single draft, and it’s even less likely when you consider AT THIS POINT (yes I realize it’s still early and things can change) the bears have essentially pidgeon holes themselves into needing to draft positions rather than drafting BPA.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Whitehair to C is the most recent rumor. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Would like 1more FA DL signing. That’s it.
I sure hope that isn't the plan.....and it still means someone is moving to the left side who's mostly played the right side

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What were your 2 weakest position groups coming into FA?

Obviously your point is true but imo they needed 4 new DL, and 3-4 new OL.

You can’t do all that in 1 season as you have said … so far looks like Poles has added a guard that might be a long term solution but currently signed to a short term deal. Yes it’s early, still plenty of time in FA, draft hasn’t happened, but the bears need a C, a RT, a 3t, a 5t, an edge rusher …. I would’ve liked to have seen one solid signing at these positions ??‍♂️

Edit: not each position but maybe having acquired a C, an RT, or a 3t.
I look at it like this - the last time the Bears had a roster capable of being competitive for a sustained amount of time was the Lovie years. The core players on that team were drafted and signed over several years starting with Urlacher in 2000. It doesn't happen overnight.

I'm sure Poles is wise enough to keep his powder dry and roll money over into the next couple of off-seasons. There will be better FA groups in the coming years which he'll need to dip into again, because next year the roster will be reevaluated and there will still be holes, albeit hopefully less of them.

I don't like the idea of overspending in FA at the start of a rebuild. What if he does great in these next couple of drafts and we end up with another core of players capable of sustained success? I'd like to be able to sign them all in 3, 4, 5 years time rather than lose half of them because he mismanaged his money too early.

ndgt10

Liked Posts:
7 mil per
Always been a backup/rotational piece
Coming off career year
At this point, the best de on the roster

What could go wrong
It's only a 3 year deal lmao

alswank87

Liked Posts:
Not exactly what I expected from Poles. I thought he would’ve made a huge splash by now. Not getting McGlinchey seemed to surprise him, if that rumored offer is true. Looks like Orlando brown is still out there, but a lot of people don’t think he fits the scheme. It looks like DT is going to be addressed in the draft. Jalen Carter might slip, if not, they can trade back.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
You're either rolling into the season with Trevis Gipson and Dominique Robinson as your starters at defensive end, or Braxton Jones and Teven Jenkins as your starters at offensive tackle. The Bears can only draft one guy at ninth overall and those late second round picks are pretty poor bets to make an immediate impact.
And that’s fine. It takes time to build a team. Not one off-season after you finally get rid of all the shut the prior GM left fucked up. This game ain’t going nowhere. Plenty of time. And all fans will still be cheering for them. No matter how bad they suck year after year.

Nuremberg Bear

Liked Posts:
You're either rolling into the season with Trevis Gipson and Dominique Robinson as your starters at defensive end, or Braxton Jones and Teven Jenkins as your starters at offensive tackle. The Bears can only draft one guy at ninth overall and those late second round picks are pretty poor bets to make an immediate impact.
Just imagine to take a 2025 1sr instead of Moore. Then you would crying like a baby or worse that Poles didn't singed Mayer (or what his name is).

But I got it, in your genius GM experience you had in Madden, you already have signed Taylor, Jones and Davenport for 60 mils. And still then you would crying that there are still so many holes...

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
I would rather they get a true DT that can open plays up for our DE's and be a force on the D.
Gipson and Robinson need that type of support in order to flourish on this D. Replacing them with other new DE's for this amount of money? I'd rather use that on a quality DT. Having said that, I really miss Akiem Hicks. That guy opened plays up for everyone.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I look at it like this - the last time the Bears had a roster capable of being competitive for a sustained amount of time was the Lovie years. The core players on that team were drafted and signed over several years starting with Urlacher in 2000. It doesn't happen overnight.

I'm sure Poles is wise enough to keep his powder dry and roll money over into the next couple of off-seasons. There will be better FA groups in the coming years which he'll need to dip into again, because next year the roster will be reevaluated and there will still be holes, albeit hopefully less of them.

I don't like the idea of overspending in FA at the start of a rebuild. What if he does great in these next couple of drafts and we end up with another core of players capable of sustained success? I'd like to be able to sign them all in 3, 4, 5 years time rather than lose half of them because he mismanaged his money too early.
all your points in this thread are correct. I didn't expect transforming the Bears from dead last to OMG SUPAR BOLE in one offseason. that's psychotic. also the teams, like the Pace Bears, that constantly blew their loads in FA are perennial salary cap nightmares. people have been calling Poles a shithead and saying "derp, he did the easy part" with cutting the expensive dead weight players for a year now.

I'm hoping fixing some of the offense will translate into Fields revealing he can be a great passer too. that should be this coming year's goal. if they lose a lot of games too then well...

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why do people continue to listen to Montucky.

In one post he's saying the Bears better not over pay for Jawaan Taylor. Then in another he's praising the Chiefs for overpaying Taylor

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did people expect all pros with every FA signing? Poles is here to build a sustained contender not blow their load on a win now FA haul. This isn't the Rams of two years ago. You need to fill holes with competent bodies while you build a roster through the draft. I would be very surprised if both a DT and DE aren't among the first four picks.
This is a bit premature with how much money he has on hand but Poles will hold enough back to pounce on after draft vet salary cuts etc. This isn't over for a while and difficult to judge until, at least, camp.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Also, are any of the rookies from last year allowed to improve? Or is that something that can only happen to other teams?
They're not. Braxton Jones is currently playing CoD with Kyler Murray. Velus Jones Jr. is putting de-stick'em on his hands.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If it gets Mustipher off the field and you stick with Whitehair for one more year.....

giphy.gif

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
This is a bit premature with how much money he has on hand but Poles will hold enough back to pounce on after draft vet salary cuts etc. This isn't over for a while and difficult to judge until, at least, camp.
He has extensions to consider

J Johnson
Kmet
Mooney
Claypool

1-2 of them are going to get extended they should account for that

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Walker feels like a desperation move after missing out on DreMont.

7 million a year for a career backup? He'll be a starter here at that price but like I said he's a rotational backup player so far.