Bears Sign Former Titans Safety Dane Cruikshank

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Good signing. One has to wonder if Poles is using analytics to determine which free agents excel in Bear weather, because ultimately that's what matters.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah this continues the strategy of Poles seeming to want to only sign south of 30. If they impress then they get extended with the Bears or leave as FAs and go into the comp pick pool at a young age where they can still expect to get a decent contract.

This probably also explains why he probably wasn't in on Armstead or the other OL rumored as it seems he wants to stick with the under 30 guys unless he absolutely has to sign someone older which he probably will wait until closer to or after the draft to do that.
I thought everyone already knew all of this!?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good signing. One has to wonder if Poles is using analytics to determine which free agents excel in Bear weather, because ultimately that's what matters.
Analytics for Bears weather. Fucking genius.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Dane "Doug Plank" Cruikshank. Analytics complete.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He didn't play much nickel for the Titans. He played in their big Dime package hence why he would often line up on the TE. Your nickel back usually matches up against the slot WR and one of the 2 LBs in your nickel package matches up on he TE.

Not saying he can't play in nickel or play as a high safety but that would be something he hasn't traditionally done before. Looking at his measurable and reading his scouting report, he definitely would appear to have the speed and explosion to be able to match up against WRs or play as a deep safety.
Yeah, I know he didn't play nickel much for the Titans. I think they tried him there a bit early in his career but then invested in pure nickel CBs the last couple years. But he was a college CB. He's definitely got the speed, but doesn't have the quickness and COD to cover slot WRs. I think though, if you play teams like Miami and KC who put their TEs in the slot almost exclusively, you can match him up in your nickel defense.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Since he can cover TEs and is good at tackling, can't he be our SAM backer who never leaves the field because he is good in coverage?
I do think he has the potential to play LB on pure passing downs, but he'll get run over as a run down SAM. Also, the Bears have no need for him as a coverage LB on passing downs because Roquan and Morrow are good enough there. My guess is he'll be in the mix to start at SS. He'll compete with DHC and probably a rookie to start next to Jackson.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Remember Baby Gronk?
I loved that nickname!
Until I saw this Muffin top, Chipotle eatin, Dad Bod 20 something try and play.
Then I hated that nickname.

Human Joystick?
like that one too.

Buy I feel like nicknames get players in trouble.

Muscle Hamster?

You see where I'm going with this?
How about Honey Badger............he is still a free agent.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like a guy who has no idea about the guy that was signed but wants to act like he does
I’m not sure if I’m just lucky, or you reply to every single persons every post that you dont agree with, with some kind of smart ass response… but look back at your track record thus far:

You gave me shit for saying poles is not helping fields with added talent, you said wait, I have. Who’s still available that can make a positive difference?

You disagreed with my prediction that bills would match bears offer for bates. How’d that turn out?

How many more Ls will you take until you stop quoting my posts with smart ass replies?

Part of me wants to block you, but it’s just too much fun making you look foolish

greg23

Liked Posts:
Armstead was a third round pick.

Bakhtiarri was a fourth round pick.
Great

The hit rates on those rounds is pretty low...however they've proven to be good nfl starters and only cost money...if he was willing to spend money; it should have been at tackle not on defense.

Gonna need to hope that jenkins/borom can develop and that another pick can develop immediately as the line looks pretty thin right now with stop gap scraps left

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Great

The hit rates on those rounds is pretty low...however they've proven to be good nfl starters and only cost money...if he was willing to spend money; it should have been at tackle not on defense.

Gonna need to hope that jenkins/borom can develop and that another pick can develop immediately as the line looks pretty thin right now with stop gap scraps left

But suppose he didn't have good evals on the available tackles? Or that tackles you wanted him to sign did not want to come here at the pieces they signed for on other teams. You guys make this presumption for example that what Armstead signed for in Miami is what he would sign for to come to Chicago.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Great

They’re going young. Pay attention

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Imagine being a meatball that cares about the 5 wins next season and getting excited over some random no name safety lmfao.

Get a life losers.
A nice youthful pickup. Now if he can get a good quality player like DC 50 more times over the next two - three years in all our positions of need, we will have a team consistently above the 0.600 level

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles has stated, and I'm paraphrasing, "Bears are old and slow as fuck all"

Pretty sure they are erring on the side of younger and faster than older and slower

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I do think he has the potential to play LB on pure passing downs, but he'll get run over as a run down SAM. Also, the Bears have no need for him as a coverage LB on passing downs because Roquan and Morrow are good enough there. My guess is he'll be in the mix to start at SS. He'll compete with DHC and probably a rookie to start next to Jackson.
Well, the SAM is the linebacker who is usually the guy who covers the TE. Seeing that the SAM is the player who gets replaced by the NB, he might be an interesting chess piece since it would not give the offense the advantage of the Bears defense running replacements in and out.

I was thinking a similar role to Derwin James who often would play a LBer position even though he is officially a safety.

This is just a thought on a Wednesday (was it yesterday that I threw that out), not a "I am going to die carrying that idea up the mountain".

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m not sure if I’m just lucky, or you reply to every single persons every post that you dont agree with, with some kind of smart ass response… but look back at your track record thus far:

You gave me shit for saying poles is not helping fields with added talent, you said wait, I have. Who’s still available that can make a positive difference?

You disagreed with my prediction that bills would match bears offer for bates. How’d that turn out?

How many more Ls will you take until you stop quoting my posts with smart ass replies?

Part of me wants to block you, but it’s just too much fun making you look foolish

Nice narrative. Too bad it isn't correct. You're losing your shit because Poles isn't Pace. Block me and shut the fuck up

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Bears gonna have the best special teams in the league!
I sure hope so.....they're the difference in 2-3 wins a year........4-5 when we had Devin Hester....football IS the ultimate team game.......ALL three areas MUST BE great.......Offense, Defense AND Special Teams. Some people just can't grasp the importance of Special Teams football. But you're not one of those people Bear_Assed. Right? ?

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Since he can cover TEs and is good at tackling, can't he be our SAM backer who never leaves the field because he is good in coverage?
Not if he's consistently being "pancaked" by OL guys who are 70-80 lbs. heavier than him.