Bears Sign Former Titans Safety Dane Cruikshank

jive

Liked Posts:
Remember Baby Gronk?
I loved that nickname!
Until I saw this Muffin top, Chipotle eatin, Dad Bod 20 something try and play.
Then I hated that nickname.

Human Joystick?
like that one too.

Buy I feel like nicknames get players in trouble.

Muscle Hamster?

You see where I'm going with this?
I'll make sure to let Sweetness, Peanut, Mongo, Iron Mike, the Galloping Ghost, the Kansas Comet, Butthead, Danimal, and Papa Bear know.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Cruikshank is kind of the Titans version of DHC. Good special teams player, has been more of a 3rd safety, but got a chance to start for the first time this year early in the season and averaged about 7 tackles a game. Titans feel similar about him the way we do DHC. He can play some nickel, but moreso in a 3-safety "big" nickel. He may get a chance to start, as I don't imagine they'll add another guy before the draft. He is thought to be a TE stopper and got rave reviews for his coverage on Travis Kelce this past season. Only 26 so still some upside there.
Since he can cover TEs and is good at tackling, can't he be our SAM backer who never leaves the field because he is good in coverage?

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Dane Cruikshank Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Not much into draft profiles as everyone who writes these days sees things differently and you end up with 6 player profiles outlining 6 different players even though they are the same player.

On saying this, given what the Titans fans are saying and the footage out there, it looks like in this instance the report is apt.

Also wouldn't look beyond the almost 'blueprint' style of DB they'll look for moving forward in this D.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Dane Cruikshank Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Not much into draft profiles as everyone who writes these days sees things differently and you end up with 6 player profiles outlining 6 different players even though they are the same player.

On saying this, given what the Titans fans are saying and the footage out there, it looks like in this instance the report is apt.

Also wouldn't look beyond the almost 'blueprint' style of DB they'll look for moving forward in this D.
OIP.6dA0DvWYZA---BkIJA1LZAHaKb

BearsGr8

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
I remember the "Good Rex / Bad Rex" talk during the SB season. With the Beloved contending for a SB berth, I thought all the stars were aligned. Then Mike Brown and Tommie Harris got hurt. Still, for some reason I thought there was no way Grossman would be "Bad Rex" in the SB...

Why are most Bears fans' memories bad ones? Chicago teams in general have been snake-bit for quite a while.

I hope Fields ends up being the Eraser, if you get what I mean.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I remember the "Good Rex / Bad Rex" talk during the SB season. With the Beloved contending for a SB berth, I thought all the stars were aligned. Then Mike Brown and Tommie Harris got hurt. Still, for some reason I thought there was no way Grossman would be "Bad Rex" in the SB...

Why are most Bears fans' memories bad ones? Chicago teams in general have been snake-bit for quite a while.

I will never understand the Grossman love around here. The guy was an absolute sack of shit. He never had a completion % of over 55 here.

MFer turned the ball over constantly.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I will never understand the Grossman love around here. The guy was an absolute sack of shit. He never had a completion % of over 55 here.

MFer turned the ball over constantly.
The debates over grossman and orton were classic. Trying to convince people which shitty ass qb was best for the team lol lol

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gross had one year where he actually showed up. Bears had a defense that got them to the Superbowl,

Grossman never started for even half a season as the Bears QB except for that year.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
While I tend to agree; if Poles was willing to spend money (larry) on a FA it should have gone to a LT (armstead) to help with fields development as that position costs money or high picks (which we don't have this year).

At this point he should load up on 1 year vet oline in hopes if getting by (fisher, etc)...draft a guard early to replace whitehair next year, double dip on wr weapons (ie: watson/tolbert) and grab a stud LT in the top 5-10 next year where the bears will be picking.

Armstead was a third round pick.

Bakhtiarri was a fourth round pick.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cruikshank is kind of the Titans version of DHC. Good special teams player, has been more of a 3rd safety, but got a chance to start for the first time this year early in the season and averaged about 7 tackles a game. Titans feel similar about him the way we do DHC. He can play some nickel, but moreso in a 3-safety "big" nickel. He may get a chance to start, as I don't imagine they'll add another guy before the draft. He is thought to be a TE stopper and got rave reviews for his coverage on Travis Kelce this past season. Only 26 so still some upside there.

He didn't play much nickel for the Titans. He played in their big Dime package hence why he would often line up on the TE. Your nickel back usually matches up against the slot WR and one of the 2 LBs in your nickel package matches up on he TE.

Not saying he can't play in nickel or play as a high safety but that would be something he hasn't traditionally done before. Looking at his measurable and reading his scouting report, he definitely would appear to have the speed and explosion to be able to match up against WRs or play as a deep safety.

Since he can cover TEs and is good at tackling, can't he be our SAM backer who never leaves the field because he is good in coverage?

Don't think you want a SAM backer that is only 209 pounds especially when Quan and Morrow are also undersized. Eberflus likes versatility so he now has 3 safeties that can also drop down and cover in man if need be. I suspect DC and DHC battle it out for the other starting S spot in base D and that all 3 play some nickel or dime. Baring any more additions at S. Jackson probably gets the nod against slot WRs and DC against bigger slot WRs or TEs. NB is one of the more important positions in a 4-3 so I can see them wanting to train all 3 safeties in that spot as well as Graham and Vildor assuming someone else gets the nod as CB2.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I remember it was a pouring rain. Small hands (8.5") Rex and the Bear were fucked. That and they went prevent the entire 2nd 1/2 along with the running game taking a back seat. Rex shrunk but there was plenty of coaching mistakes as well.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He didn't play much nickel for the Titans. He played in their big Dime package hence why he would often line up on the TE. Your nickel back usually matches up against the slot WR and one of the 2 LBs in your nickel package matches up on he TE.

Not saying he can't play in nickel or play as a high safety but that would be something he hasn't traditionally done before. Looking at his measurable and reading his scouting report, he definitely would appear to have the speed and explosion to be able to match up against WRs or play as a deep safety.

All about if his technique has improved since getting to the NFL. Seems it has from reports but I haven't any idea.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Don't think you want a SAM backer that is only 209 pounds especially when Quan and Morrow are also undersized. Eberflus likes versatility so he now has 3 safeties that can also drop down and cover in man if need be. I suspect DC and DHC battle it out for the other starting S spot in base D and that all 3 play some nickel or dime. Jackson probably gets the nod against slot WRs and DC against bigger slot WRs or TEs. NB is one of the more important positions in a 4-3 so I can see them wanting to train all 3 safeties in that spot as well as Graham and Vildor assuming someone else gets the nod at CB2.

I’m going to assume he’s in the mix for the other starting job but won’t be handed it. There will be another vet or draft pick. If he plays like he did last year and does nothing more he’a a useful part of the team. But I’m sure the Bears are hoping they have a young player who still has room to ascend with his game.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m going to assume he’s in the mix for the other starting job but won’t be handed it. There will be another vet or draft pick. If he plays like he did last year and does nothing more he’a a useful part of the team. But I’m sure the Bears are hoping they have a young player who still has room to ascend with his game.

Yeah this continues the strategy of Poles seeming to want to only sign south of 30. If they impress then they get extended with the Bears or leave as FAs and go into the comp pick pool at a young age where they can still expect to get a decent contract.

This probably also explains why he probably wasn't in on Armstead or the other OL rumored as it seems he wants to stick with the under 30 guys unless he absolutely has to sign someone older which he probably will wait until closer to or after the draft to do that.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Another in a string of solid signings to fill the roster. Now let's grab one or two equivalents on the O line.