Bears sign Ifedi

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I read an article when we first signed him which was some media person talking to a Seahawks reporter and that Seahawks reporter said he was much better when he played T then he was when he played G for them but said he wasn't all that great at either position which we already knew. I wish i could remember the names of the media/reporters so i could find the article but i don't.

Yes as below noted, he played guard his rookie year and sucked. But again that was his rookie year.

Ifedi played right guard his rookie year and was pretty terrible at it. A 53 grade in over 900 snaps. Now of course that was his rookie year and a lot of that suckage was in pass blocking where he had a 38 grade to go along with a 66 run grade.

Once he moved to T his run blocker actually declined but his pass blocking improved so maybe if we imagine that improvement carries over to RG while the poor run blocking at Tackle was due to having to block more in space then you could squeeze out a decent RG.

However, I think a RG/RT prospect is imperative. Draft someone with experience at both and let Massie and Ifedi battle it out for whichever position the rookie does not play.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes as below noted, he played guard his rookie year and sucked. But again that was his rookie year.

Yes i saw that but hearing it from an actual Seahawks reporter who actually watched him play every game gives it more credit then hearing anyone that just checks stats on PFF or the internet does IMO.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If OTC is correct this leaves the Bears with enough for one more decent signing. I would guess anything between now and the draft will be vet minimum types and any “big” deals will be after the draft so as not to affect comp picks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes i saw that but hearing it from an actual Seahawks reporter who actually watched him play every game gives it more credit then hearing anyone that just checks stats on PFF or the internet does IMO.
You don't move a guy from G to T because you don't think he can play.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Don’t want to start a thread on this but what about signing Peters after the draft? He’s 38 and injured frequently so should be relatively cheap. But plays good when healthy. Would know the system. Just a thought.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If OTC is correct this leaves the Bears with enough for one more decent signing. I would guess anything between now and the draft will be vet minimum types and any “big” deals will be after the draft so as not to affect comp picks.
OTC doesn't have Foles restructure (if we believe recent reports) which would give the Bears an extra $7mil. I'm also thinking there's still a chance to open some $ with extensions and some minor cuts.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Don’t want to start a thread on this but what about signing Peters after the draft? He’s 38 and injured frequently so should be relatively cheap. But plays good when healthy. Would know the system. Just a thought.

The only reason to sign Peters would be to bench Leno though right? I mean we aren't gonna play him at RG are we? Some players out there that i think we could use on the right deal at RB and SS which i still see as pretty big needs.

RB
C.Hyde--He'd be a nice addition to the RB room with Monty and Cohen.
D,Freeman--When healthy he's a good all around RB.
C.Thompson
L.Miller

SS
Tony Jefferson
R.Jones
T.Wilson
M.Burnett
J.Cyprien

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
His contract came out this morning. Basically the vet minimum. Won’t affect comp picks.
As of now the Bears have 4 eligible comp picks by formula but only will receive 2 due to 32 league maximum. Chase Daniel is first out at the moment.
5114 5113

So in theory the Bears could sign 2 more low comp FA's without actually affecting their comp picks or someone else could sign a FA bumping one of their comp picks and moving Chase Daniel up one giving the Bears 3. Or if that would happen 3 times the Bears could receive 4.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
ifedi is a backup and this vet min contract is further proof.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
ifedi is a backup and this vet min contract is further proof.

He's being paid as a backup and pretty much a prove it deal for a 1st round pick going into his 5th year in the league, but i'm not gonna call him a backup until i see what he can do in a new scheme under J.Castillo and competing with A.Bars. He knows he's fighting for a starter type multi year deal this year so lets see if he can win the starting job at RG this year.

Hopefully whoever we draft at OL in the draft is someone who can play G or T just in case one of Ifedi or Bars win a starting job and the good thing with Ifedi is he can play G or T so if he does play well under Castillo then we found a gem on a good 1 year deal so we'd have to try and lock him up quick with a multi year deal but for the right price of course so we don't end up in another C.Leno or B.Massie situation.

Liked Posts:
In order to evaluate someone as being "one of the best in the league using the eyesight standard", you literally have to watch all guards in the league in all games.

And that eyesight can see thru glasses tinted in favor of the hometown guy.

Really? Literally? If you need to watch every game of every player at a specific position to get a beat on on guy, you should probably find something better to do.

Theres no reason in the world right now that Ifedi couldnt step into this Oline and be an immediate upgrade over the fomer defensive lineman Nagy plugged in at RG last year, or Massie.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Yeah but while that reporter said he was much better at tackle he also said he had no technique at all his rookie year at guard and was much better with technique after a year of coaching when he was moved to T. So really nobody has a clue how he'd play at guard now with some refining under his belt

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Is that Germaine to this conversation?