Bears sign Ifedi

msadows

Liked Posts:
See, THIS is what I wanna know: who saw this in Mahomes? No one else in the league thought that highly of him but the Chiefs. We need to get whoever that was to find our guy....

I'm sure plenty thought highly of him, but I'm willing to be the amount of teams that had him as their #1 QB was limited to one hand. The amount that had him as the #1 QB and willing to take him with a top 10 pick was prob just KC.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Andy Reid?

lol. Brett Veach.

"Well I'm going, 'That's a pretty bold statement.' He's seen a few guys," Reid told reporters. "So he kept laying the tape on my desk, and soon I'm going, 'This is like the greatest player I've ever seen.' He was making throws like he made last night."

While Reid and Veach were convinced of Mahomes' brilliance, there were still doubts about whether he could maintain his level of play against NFL competition.

"And then you go: 'Let's see how he does this in the NFL. I mean, he can't do all that stuff,'" Reid said. "And then he came to us, and ... he started doing all that stuff. The no-looks. And it just kind of came natural to him."

msadows

Liked Posts:
Veach went up to Reid and kept harrasing him to watch mahomes tape. lol

Nagy should do this to Pace.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
for a talent like Mahomes, yes every team fucked up. What team wouldn't of gotten instantly better and be set with having the best QB in the league for the next 10+ years?

And yes there is a correlation with INT in college and the pros, the vast majority of the time INT go up in the pros

If a team has Carson Wentz it is quite asinine to try and pretend that their not trading up to get Mahomes is akin to the Bears with the 3rd pick not drafting him. The Bears truly fucked up and you are just trying to make yourself feel better about it. You cant compare teams having to trade a fuck ton to move up vs the Bears who simply had to stand pat and draft him. Those are not remotely comparable.

Now the teams that had a chance to pick without trading up are comparable to Bears but again if you are Panthers trying to win now you arent going to draft Mahomes when you have Newton. You deaft CMC because you need immediate help. A lot of those teams would not have even spent a lot of time scouting QBs because they didnt have need. So its silly to pretend the Panthers should have known about Mahomes when they likely barely scouted him. Whereas Pace spent the bulk of his scouting efforts on QB.

The teams that really should be ashamed are the ones that actually needed a QB like the Niners for example passing on Mahomes to end up giving JG 60 million to blow the SB against Mahomes. Now that is embarrassing.

This has been studied several times and results are same. College interceptions are not a good predictor of NFL interceptions.

So I know in your heart of hearts you believe it is true but you are statistically wrong. Sorry.

Last edited:

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
If a team has Carson Wentz it is quite asinine to try and pretend that their not trading up to get Mahomes is akin to the Bears with the 3rd pick not drafting him. The Bears truly fucked up and you are just trying to make yourself feel better about it. You cant compare teams having to trade a fuck ton to move up vs the Bears who simply had to stand pat and draft him. Those are not remotely comparable.

Now the teams that had a chance to pick without trading up are comparable to Bears but again if you are Panthers trying to win now you arent going to draft Mahomes when you have Newton. You deaft CMC because you need immediate help. A lot of those teams would not have even spent a lot of time scouting QBs because they didnt have need. So its silly to pretend the Panthers should have known about Mahomes when they likely barely scouted him. Whereas Pace spent the bulk of his scouting efforts on QB.

The teams that really should be ashamed are the ones that actually needed a QB like the Niners for example passing on Mahomes to end up giving JG 60 million to blow the SB against Mahomes. Now that is embarrassing.

This has been studied several times and results are same. College interceptions are not a good predictor of NFL interceptions.

So I know in your heart of hearts you believe it is true but you are statistically wrong. Sorry.

so the eagles are better off with Wentz vs Mahomes? Really? lol
my point is that its a crapshoot drafting a QB and there is a huge risk in moving up to take one when most of them do not turn out very well. Every gm got it wrong with evaluating Mahomes, and yes its very painful for us Bears fans because we didnt have to do anything.

And as far as Sam Darnald goes, your point actually helps prove my point.

His INT went up in the pros not down.

his INT was..

2016 1 INT every 41 attempts
2017 1 INT every 37 attempts
2018 1 INT every 28 attempts
2019 1 INT every 34 attempts

So again all this shows is that the INT usually goes up in the pros..

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
Did we have a chance to draft Ifedi instead of trubitsky, and mahomes and Watson? I’m confused as to this discussion.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure how to feel about this signing until we see the contract numbers. I'll worry less about all those penalties if it was a bargain signing. Not sure if the 1 year deal means that.

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And another fucking thread about signing a guard turns into a Trubisky sucks and we should have taken Watson or Mahomes thread. And it's always the same fucking posters that do it.

Wait. There was another thread specifically about signing a guard before this one where it became Trubisky sucks?

I love it!

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
He can’t play RT.

Move him inside to RG and see if Castillo can get some decent play from him. There are countless guys who are not athletic enough to play OT in the NFL who have had success moving inside. Ereck Flowers who was an epic bust is now a 10 million dollar OG.
After watching him play snaps in 2019, do you think he can't play LT or RT, but only decent G? (Read he played RT in 2019.) So not a viable replacement for Leno should he suck?

Halapoulivaati Vaitai OT Signed with Lions (5 years, $50 million). You think there's any chance Bears will sign another OL, like OTs: Jason Peters, Matt Feiler, Gordy Glenn, Daryl Williams, Beachum, etc? Or Gs: Ronald Leary, Mike Pearson, etc?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
my point is that its a crapshoot drafting a QB and there is a huge risk in moving up to take one when most of them do not turn out very well. Every gm got it wrong with evaluating Mahomes, and yes its very painful for us Bears fans because we didnt have to do anything.

his INT was..

No not what I am saying at all. I am saying that the Eagles would not have spent a lot of time scouting QBs because they already had a QB. So it is stupid to try and compare them to the Bears. Pace specifically was scouting for a franchise QB and fucked it up. The Eagles had no interest in a QB so probably didn't spend much time at all scouting them.

No Darnold doesn't prove the point. The data was compiled not including Darnold because Darnold wasn't in the NFL yet. The point was to review college ints vs NFL success to see if college interceptions were a predictor. They were not because you have guys like Darnold whose int rate goes up and then you have guys like Watson whose int rate goes down. Mahomes rate has also gone done as it was only 1% last year.

What you are doing is taking the anecdotal data of Darnold's going up and ignoring the fact there are also examples like Watson where it goes down. For it to be predictive you would need a larger sample and that larger sample would need to show that the majority trends one way. Based on people that have actually looked at this using larger samples that is not true. The data is all over the place. So there is no usually about it. Some guys throw more picks in the NFL and some throw less.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
He's definitely better suited to guard but his potential versatility is nice. Solid move,

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He's definitely better suited to guard but his potential versatility is nice. Solid move,

If by versatility you mean he can play RT very poorly then yes he is versatile. Otherwise, he probably should not be anywhere near RT.

Massie gave up 2 sacks, 21 pressures and 4 penalties in 612 snaps.

Ifedi gave up 7 sacks, 52 pressures and 15 penalties in 1,228 snaps.

So even if you double Massie's numbers to account for him playing about half the snaps as Ifedi, Massie was still significantly better at preventing pressure and penalties than Ifedi.

If Ifedi spends any time at RT in 2020, it probably means the Bears are fucked and Pace getting fired.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Another thing, if he's good enough to start at Tackle, he can push either Massie or Leno. Competition is a good thing.

Edit: This signing surprises the hell out of me. I didn't expect the Bears to find anyone with starting experience on the O line in the off season, especially a Tackle, after the Quinn and TE signings.
Play him at G and rotate him out when a T goes down.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

his INT was..

Imagine if Pace stays put and Cleveland traded up for Mitch, Pace gets a very nice consolation prize.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
No one was taking mahomes with a top 5 pick.

#10 was a reach as well. One thing I CAN guarantee you about mahomes is probably not many had him as their #1 QB, KC did. KC wanted him and reached to take him.

Its always been Watson vs. Mitch. Watson should have been the pick. I prefered watson as well before the draft but I understood the mitch pick completely.

Most of this board wanted to draft Adams and then take Kizer/Mahomes/Kaaya in the 2nd.

I dont blame Pace for missing on Mahomes. He was raw and out of an air raid offense.

I blame him for not picking Watson who had won back to back Championship games and has turned into an absolute baller.