Bears sign OT Riley Reiff

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LTBE incentives are performance measures reached in prior year so probably stuff like games started or snaps.

He played 12 games and had 700 snaps so if he doesnt make the team or gets beat out by someone that 12.5m deal is closer to the 2.5.

So probably the case he only gets the full 12m if he emerges as the starter and plays a decent amount this year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They could have got better in fa for slightly more but the gm fell asleep at the wheel

Hopefully this puts to bed the dumb ass idea 3 7th round rookies going to start on the oline. They are lucky to make it as back ups

No one thought three 7th round rookies would start.

Jones was the only guy being talked about as having the inside track on starting.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is good. Allows for a more honest assessment of Fields, allows the young talent to be eased into hopefully starting roles, gives @Black Rainbow an out to claim it's the supporting cast when Fields looks much improved, gives @Visionman more support for his immediate allegiance to a brand new rookie GM for his current #1 NFL team.

But what if Poles trades them to the new Chicago expansion team? Then it's all for naught

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like if they wanted a Tackle though could have gotten someone just as durable for less or someone more durable for cheaper... but it's a one year deal, Only thing I hate about this deal is that I'd rather give a young guy a chance and if he looks back after say Wk 2 of the preseason, get an in shape vet off waivers.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I feel like if they wanted a Tackle though could have gotten someone just as durable for less or someone more durable for cheaper... but it's a one year deal, Only thing I hate about this deal is that I'd rather give a young guy a chance and if he looks back after say Wk 2 of the preseason, get an in shape vet off waivers.

I think Poles viewed the play of the line and came to the conclusion that they sucked.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He's missed 13 games total in 10 years. That is durable.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Difference is that person likely would command guaranteed money. He likely isnt seeing that 12.5 unless he starts and plays a decent amount this year.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Guess this means the rookies aren't ready to fill those spots. I was rooting for youth to fill out those spots.
That's a bit presumptive,but nice to have a known quality at the positions as insurance.
Lot of $, dude is pretty old. He's been a decent LT, very low number of penalties, but the price looks a bit high for what he is likely to give at this point in his career.

Hopefully not much of it is guaranteed.
Slight overpay, but worth it, they got $ to spend. Any OL help is welcome, glad to see two solid - experienced - players added the past couple days.
80% of contract is likely to be earned, so probably tied to active games or starts. If he sucks he will be a cheap cut.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I see this signing as the Bears giving their rookie 3rd day draft picks time to develop. Hope the four veterans now on this line give Fields enough time in the pocket to elevate the skill positions around him.

Those guys, outside of maybe Braxton Jones were always going to be practice squad players. Its not really an asessment of them. It has more to do with Jenkins, Borom, Julien Davenport and whomever else the Bears brought in to maybe serve as depth for Tackle. But, I suppose one could make the argument that veteran leadership was needed at tackle anyways.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I imagine talks with these two OL's didn't start just yesterday. Wonder if Reiff and Schofield's asking prices dropped significantly the last few days as they were going to be on the couch as camps started.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That's a bit presumptive,but nice to have a known quality at the positions as insurance.

80% of contract is likely to be earned, so probably tied to active games or starts. If he sucks he will be a cheap cut.
I read that 'likely to be earned' as meaning it's likely he will receive it, not that it has to be earned via some metric. Your way is obviously the better option.

Edit: your way is correct, good.

Last edited:

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like it. Good moves on the OL lately. The OL is not total garbage and it protects Fields while allowing rookies time to develop.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I read that 'likely to be earned' as meaning it's likely he will receive it, not that it has to be earned via some metric. Your way is obviously the better option.

Either way, not very good writing.

LTBE is cap terminology not something the author came up with. They are incentives he hit in the prior year so under salary cap rules they count against the cap this year. So he played in 12 games and had 700 snaps. If he doesnt hit the incentive then we get the cap amount back next year. So if the incentive is 10 starts or 650 snaps it is LTBE and hence his cap hit is 12.5. If he doesnt hit those numbers then we get 10m back next year against the cap.

By contrast NLTBE incentives are incentives not reached in the prior year so they dont count against this years cap. If they are met then would hit cap next year. So if the incentive was 14 games or 900 snaps it would be NLTBE and cap hit would be 2.5m. If he hit it then 10m would be cap hit next year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I imagine talks with these two OL's didn't start just yesterday. Wonder if Reiff and Schofield's asking prices dropped significantly the last few days as they were going to be on the couch as camps started.

More than likely.

Sad part is that this prob means that Jenkins and Borom are not legit

msadows

Liked Posts:
Or it just means he wants to like a fire under their ass. He wants competition amd not to just hand it to them.

Possibly, but my guess is that Jones starts on the left and Reiff on the right....

Jenkins and borom go to the bench

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I like Poles' direction so far. Throw in a ton of OL and see what sticks. Bringing in some veteran leadership should help push the young guys. If this leads to improved protection for Fields I'm all in.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Or it just means he wants to like a fire under their ass. He wants competition amd not to just hand it to them.
It's funny how there was all the hand wringing about Poles not having proven OL depth and the minute they sign 2 depth pieces, it now becomes about how they were signed because Borom, Jenkins, or the rookies must be shit as determined by unpadded OTA's.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Those guys, outside of maybe Braxton Jones were always going to be practice squad players. Its not really an asessment of them. It has more to do with Jenkins, Borom, Julien Davenport and whomever else the Bears brought in to maybe serve as depth for Tackle. But, I suppose one could make the argument that veteran leadership was needed at tackle anyways.
I fully agree. Jones has got LT traits but came from an FCS program so it's going to take him longer to develop. I suspect it now will be a camp a battle between Jenkins and Borom for RT. Thomas, Kramer and Carter will now have an uphill battle just to make the 53 man roster.