Bears still under cap floor boyz

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
you'll be back on the bandwagon in no time. you know it and i know it
It was a joke. I’m one of the few who realize this rebuild is going to take several years before bears are a legit playoff contender.

Bust

Liked Posts:
could spend some to re sign our own players on the last years of their contract

they have in the past when they extended Eddie Jackson, Tarek Cohen and the like.

Who are the bears core this go round? JJ?? he needs an extension but is Jaylon Johnson looking to make bank? i mean he is a good cover corner but 1 single pick in his career? ugh

Bust

Liked Posts:
It was a joke. I’m one of the few who realize this rebuild is going to take several years . . .

i know am just giving you shit . . . and naw, nfl is win now league. one can change course quick with guys having unexpected seasons and ball bounces (turnovers).

Ed Oliver is a #9 overall pick of the Bills who is 2nd string rotation and been disappointment to them. In terms of high bar, think the next Akiem Hicks who benefitted from different system? Worth a gamble? Dude has low mileage, the bears can certainly eat 10 million and the cap strapped bills wouldn't mind unloading and getting something for him.

Hmmmmmm. offer 5th round pick!

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It was a joke. I’m one of the few who realize this rebuild is going to take several years before bears are a legit playoff contender.
I thought the Bears had the resources this offseason to make this a quick turnaround, but apparently Poles lack of desire to attack the OL/DL he's looking longer term. There is obviously still the draft, but I just don't seem him getting enough impact rookies in the trenches to really make that big of a difference this next season.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It used to take 4 or 5 seasons to put together a great team. That is not the case anymore.

It is possible to go from 3 wins to 9 wins in one offseason. The Bears have enough capitol to turn the franchise around in one offseason.

They still have enough good draft picks to keep them competitive for years to come.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought the Bears had the resources this offseason to make this a quick turnaround, but apparently Poles lack of desire to attack the OL/DL he's looking longer term. There is obviously still the draft, but I just don't seem him getting enough impact rookies in the trenches to really make that big of a difference this next season.
He said it from day 1; he’s not going to spend big in FA and will build thru the draft. The thought was “every GM says this, but never does”. Well poles tore this thing down to the studs like we’ve never seen before and people still thought he was going to have it built back up in one or two years.

He is not in this to win in 2023. His plan is to build a solid foundation of talented young players from the draft which is going to take a while since a) he’s not going to hit and every pick and b) young players make mistakes and it takes years to develop for most players.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
He said it from day 1; he’s not going to spend big in FA and will build thru the draft. The thought was “every GM says this, but never does”. Well poles tore this thing down to the studs like we’ve never seen before and people still thought he was going to have it built back up in one or two years.

He is not in this to win in 2023. His plan is to build a solid foundation of talented young players from the draft which is going to take a while since a) he’s not going to hit and every pick and b) young players make mistakes and it takes years to develop for most players.
I think people have this idea that having $43.6 million in cap space means going out and spending $43.6 million on free agents. A young team will inherently have players that need extending, which is what we have staring at us with Kmet, Mooney, Johnson and in the not-too-distant future, Justin Fields. Trying to buy a winning team in free agency usually fizzles out after a season, if not earlier.

All that said, i'd like to have seen another starting option at tackle and on the d-line by now. But the offseason doesn't end after the draft, nor does the league end after the 2023 season.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I think people have this idea that having $43.6 million in cap space means going out and spending $43.6 million on free agents. A young team will inherently have players that need extending, which is what we have staring at us with Kmet, Mooney, Johnson and in the not-too-distant future, Justin Fields. Trying to buy a winning team in free agency usually fizzles out after a season, if not earlier.

All that said, i'd like to have seen another starting option at tackle and on the d-line by now. But the offseason doesn't end after the draft, nor does the league end after the 2023 season.
I think you will see 1 more each RT and DL thru late FA's or cuts and draft.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you will see 1 more each RT and DL thru late FA's or cuts and draft.
What two players are still out there worth 45 mil this season? Hell, what two FA players are out there worth 1/2 that per season? Bears going to anti up for Henry?

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
they have in the past when they extended Eddie Jackson, Tarek Cohen and the like.

Who are the bears core this go round? JJ?? he needs an extension but is Jaylon Johnson looking to make bank? i mean he is a good cover corner but 1 single pick in his career? ugh

maybe offer mooney and claypool the same contract and make them race to sign. The one who doesn't bets on himself for the season

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

People also have the illusion that extending a contract of a player on your team is a lot cheaper than signing a FA. While the player is on your team you are able to negotiate with him and his agent which gives you a better chance at retaining his services than another team having to wait until he is a free agent. Does anyone really think Johnson will sign a reduced extension with the Bears just because they drafted him? The Bears drafted Roquan but that didn't get them any discounts when they wanted to extend him. If you're going to sign a good player to his 2nd or 3rd contract you're going to have to pay the going rate no matter who he played for. What is Kmet and Mooney really worth. You don't want to overpay them just because you drafted them. Kmet may end up as primarily a blocking TE this year. If so, I have no interest in extending him. TE's like that are a dime a dozen late in the draft. Mooney is going to have to have a really good year to get a nice extension. Did the Bears do enough to the oline this offseason to allow the passing game to take enough of a step forward for Mooney to have that kind of year? I understand the Bears can or will draft a couple player to add to the oline but they take time to develop. By almost any metric, Braxton Jones graded out near the top of all rookie tackles last year. He had a nice year but it was obvious he has a long ways to go. At 22, these kids have a lot of weight and strength training to do before they are physically ready to play at a high level in the NFL. Last years oline plus a solid bridge LG and two rookies, sounds good in another year or so but I have my doubts whether they are going to have even and average pass blocking rating at years end.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Clarification: That’s money that needs to be committed before next offseason, not money that has to be spent for THIS season. Spielberger was on the radio talking about it.

Basically, he said that if the Bears extended guys like Cole Kmet and Jaylon Johnson before the beginning of the next league year, that would count toward that cap floor, even if the money is for the future.

So he said expect some extensions and a few non-splashy veteran cap-casualty signings. He warned not to expect some giant splash to meet that $45 million.