Bears to scout ex-Mizzou WR Danario Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Brad Biggs

The Bears resisted the temptation to make a play for a veteran wide receiver during the offseason. But they're going to go in for a close look at a rookie next week.

According to a Rotoworld.com report, Southwest area scout Chris Ballard will conduct the pro day workout for Danario Alexander, who was a prolific performer at Missouri but went undrafted because of concerns about his left knee.

What does it all mean? Well, the Bears' West area scout Marty Barrett ran the pro day for BYU running back Harvey Unga and the team selected him in the supplemental draft.
Alexander is a free agent who is eligible to sign with any team. First, he has to prove he's healthy coming off surgery on the left knee in February to repair an injury that happened during the week of the Senior Bowl.

Alexander reportedly has been timed in the 40-yard dash at 4.41 and 4.44 seconds in training for the pro day. Scouts have questioned his speed, though, and he's not known for being an especially fast player. He was, however, extremely productive for the Tigers this past season, even after the departure of quarterback Chase Daniel. He made 113 receptions last season for 1,781 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Alexander has had four surgeries on the left knee, though, and that is a concern for teams. But if he checks out healthy, there's no risk in signing an undrafted free agent. He's a big target at 6-4, 221 pounds, and set a school record with a vertical jump of 46 ½ inches. He also set records with his offensive production, passing ex-Bear Justin Gage for the school's all-time yardage mark.

Alexander has been working out in Houston where his agent Jeff Nalley is based. That also happens to be where Ballard lives, probably a good reason why he will be running and monitoring the workout.

More...

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like him in the draft, but his knee injuries are a big red flag. If he can prove he can get separation from DBs and shows good hands, I'd be all for signing him. Having a 6'5 WR never hurts

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is slapping the T.O. talk out the door.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I am scared of ex-mizzou WR's.....Justin Gage ring a bell?

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ugh, Gage only brings up bad memories when I hear his name. Even if he does get signed, he has a uphill battle to make it onto the team w/ Knox, Hester, DA, Bennett, and Iglesias assured of a roster spot w/ Davis a good bet to make the roster since he's good on ST. Not to mention Freddie Barnes is still on the roster and he could push Davis for the 6th WR spot.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Yeah it does ring a bell but so does Jeremy Maclin and that kid didnt look half bad last season.

I was hoping we would get Danario as a UDFA after the draft. He has the potential but he could very well end up Marcus Monk 2.0

Worth a shot.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
What the hell. Why not?

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has no chance to make the roster, maybe a chance to end up on the PS if they sign him but he couldn't separate in Senior Bowl practices.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
He couldn't separate in the Senior Bowl because his knee was trash.

He's had more time to recover now, and if rumors are close to accurate about a 4.4 running 6'5'' WR, you sign him ASAP.

I wanted this guy signed when everyone and their dog knew his knee was hurt. He's a smart WR. Played in a wide open system, much like Martz's wide open style. You can't teach size. He has it...

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I was shocked JA didn't draft that knee injury WR in the 7th round this draft as he had seemingly each prior year. Signing him would make him that next Marcus Monk/Derek Kinder. Maybe he has a chance to get healthy and make the PS and try out the next year but usually those knee injuries make these guys never the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.