Bears trade down or even out of the 1st round.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am not saying wait until the 52nd pick. You can trade down and get a later 1st round pick or early 2nd round pick.

Just making a point is all. I see a lot of people assuming a decent QB will be there at 52 or round three even. I’m not buying it.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
It would be nice to see a little more respectful discussion around here.

I agree that trading down, if we have a fair offer, interests me, mostly because it plays to our strengths. Pace excels at finding mid round selections that other teams overlook, and this draft is going to have a lot of sleepers because of the limited tape this season.

The Bears really need to add some talent this season, and I believe Pace could so some damage with multiple picks inside the top 150.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Wow...... is water still wet?

Technically speaking, no.

Liquid water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.
Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid
, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.
Whether an object is wet or dry depends on a balance between cohesive and adhesive forces. Cohesive forces are attractive forces within the liquid that cause the molecules in the liquid to prefer to stick together. Cohesive forces are also responsible for surface tension. If the cohesive forces are very strong, then the liquid molecules really like to stay close together and they won't spread out on the surface of an object very much. On the contrary, adhesive forces are the attractive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material. If the adhesive forces are strong, then the liquid will try and spread out onto the surface as much as possible. So how wet a surface is depends on the balance between these two forces. If the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are bigger than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material becomes wet, and the liquid tends to spread out to maximize contact with the surface. On the other hand, if the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are smaller than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material is dry, and the liquid tends to bead-up into a spherical drop and tries to minimize the contact with the surface.
Water actually has pretty high cohesive forces due to hydrogen bonding, and so is not as good at wetting surfaces as some liquids such as acetone or alcohols. However, water does wet certain surfaces like glass for example. Adding detergents can make water better at wetting by lowering the cohesive forces . Water resistant materials such as Gore-tex fabric is made of material that is hydrophobic (water repellent) and so the cohesive forces within the water (liquid-liquid) are much stronger than the adhesive force (liquid-solid) and water tends to bead-up on the outside of the material and you stay dry.

UCSB Science Line

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Just making a point is all. I see a lot of people assuming a decent QB will be there at 52 or round three even. I’m not buying it.
I think most people have to quell their expectations though. Trading up is just too costly, and we have to accept the fact that we are stuck with a development QB that is highly likely not going to be great.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:

I agree that it is difficult. QB scouting/evaluation in the NFL has gotten much better, the more important measurables have been identified, and the last few seasons less prospects are slipping.

I think you can still find a potential starter in the 2nd round, depending on the draft, and this is a deep draft. Round 3, yeah, pretty tough to find a true starter here as the bottom really starts falling out.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Trask is a pick I really like in the second. Great touch and placement, but needs to learn the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bears take a chance on him. At least they have an affordable backup for a few years, and maybe he exceeds expectations.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I think most people have to quell their expectations though. Trading up is just too costly, and we have to accept the fact that we are stuck with a development QB that is highly likely not going to be great.
Agree with most of your points except for the QB you want them to target-Newman. I hope they get Davis Mills. He has every tool you can imagine. Injuries/Covid derailed his colt career so he has only 11 starts, but the guy can play. He is just inexperienced. Let him sit behind Dalton for a year and the Bears may have something there.

I don’t think he makes it to pick 52.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
YEah but if u trade down out of the first foregoing 2-3 STUD players the Bears could use and let another team pick those guys at 20 and above then you can get a pick in the 3rd to waste on a shitty QB

Why do you guys not get this????

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That's how I feel. You're trolling because I AGREED with you??? WTF?

We don't have an offense. Trading up re-digs the hole that got us in this situation.
Build the offense then get a QB whether we get there by trade or by sucking because we don't have a QB doesn't matter at that point. It matters now because we don't have the offense for a rookie to learn behind.

A rookie QB is a rookie QB no matter who it is. They're not going to instantly be a great one without talent around them.

Trading down is a long shot. We have enough needs we could probably do it and benefit. But there has to be someone who wants 20 and has something worth offering. It's easy to say trade back but it's not guaranteed to happen.

I had to stop at "We don't have an offense" because we have plenty of offense that just needs help at a couple spots with the obvious big one. What we need is a legit QB to go with the offense we have cause if you put D.Watson or R.Wilson or any legit QB with this offense then we're good.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Excellent point. Due to covid this is a great year to have a lot of picks.

We should also try to get 2022 picks cause there's a very good chance we're looking for our franchise QB in that draft whether that's with Pace and Nagy doing the looking or someone else.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I had to stop at "We don't have an offense" because we have plenty of offense that just needs help at a couple spots with the obvious big one. What we need is a legit QB to go with the offense we have cause if you put D.Watson or R.Wilson or any legit QB with this offense then we're good.

If you think we have an offense then there's no reason not to go for a QB now. A couple spots can be filled while in a draft deficit.

I say we need many spots on offense. More than a couple on oline alone. Multiple WRs (but I don't expect the Bears to ever get more than one rental WR that can be considered good at a time) and another good RB would be nice to tandem with Monty.
You either have a fan driven blind spot or you don't want a modern NFL team that can compete.

Watson or Wilson are not rookies any more. You're talking about moving in the draft. How are you planning on drafting Watson or Wilson???

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I had to stop at "We don't have an offense" because we have plenty of offense that just needs help at a couple spots with the obvious big one.

I agree. I don't think its a loaded roster on offense by any means, but it is not devoid of talent. Robinson and Mooney are the best #1 and #2 we have had in awhile. We are solid at TE and RB. We will see how Dalton plays and if we can add help at OL.

That being said, I don't see the offense taking off until Nagy is replaced. He just is not the guy. Can he produce if the roster were loaded? Sure, most people could. But he certainly isn't getting the most out of our talent and when you combine subpar coaching talent with a limited offensive roster and you get the shit he has been shoveling the last 3 seasons.

46plank

Liked Posts:
THIS YEAR THE DRAFT HAS A LOT OF UNKNOWNS THAT ARE REALLY GOOD DUE TO COVID AND THE LACK OF PLAY TIME LAST YEAR AS WELL AS TAPE. sO THE OPPORTUNITY TO HIT BIG IN THE LATER ROUNDS IS DRAMATICALLY INCREASED.

Sorry for caps...

The potential to hit big on later round drafts this year is much greater than the 20% chance to draft a top rated QB in the draft that actually pans out.

I think there are going to be 1-3 great QB's taken in the 2nd or 3rd round personally.
I like this. There will be someone out there that will surprise.

46plank

Liked Posts:
Technically speaking, no.

Liquid water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.
Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid
, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.
Whether an object is wet or dry depends on a balance between cohesive and adhesive forces. Cohesive forces are attractive forces within the liquid that cause the molecules in the liquid to prefer to stick together. Cohesive forces are also responsible for surface tension. If the cohesive forces are very strong, then the liquid molecules really like to stay close together and they won't spread out on the surface of an object very much. On the contrary, adhesive forces are the attractive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material. If the adhesive forces are strong, then the liquid will try and spread out onto the surface as much as possible. So how wet a surface is depends on the balance between these two forces. If the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are bigger than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material becomes wet, and the liquid tends to spread out to maximize contact with the surface. On the other hand, if the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are smaller than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material is dry, and the liquid tends to bead-up into a spherical drop and tries to minimize the contact with the surface.
Water actually has pretty high cohesive forces due to hydrogen bonding, and so is not as good at wetting surfaces as some liquids such as acetone or alcohols. However, water does wet certain surfaces like glass for example. Adding detergents can make water better at wetting by lowering the cohesive forces . Water resistant materials such as Gore-tex fabric is made of material that is hydrophobic (water repellent) and so the cohesive forces within the water (liquid-liquid) are much stronger than the adhesive force (liquid-solid) and water tends to bead-up on the outside of the material and you stay dry.

UCSB Science Line
Thanks for this. That was great ?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I'm in favor of a trade down assuming a team is eager to move up to 20th to grab a guy. You assume we'd pick up maybe a 3rd or a late 2nd in order to come down off of 20 (depending on how far we would move down). Here's all of Ryan Pace's picks in the 2nd to 4th rounds in chronological order.

2. Eddie Goldman
3. Hroniss Grasu
4. Jeremy Langford
2. Cody Whitehair
3. Jonathan Bullard
4. Nick Kwiatkowski
4. Deon Bush
4. Deiondre Hall
2. Adam Shaheen
4. Eddie Jackson
4. Tarik Cohen
2. James Daniels
2. Anthony Miller
4. Joel Iyiegbuniwe
3. David Montgomery
4. Riley Ridley
2. Cole Kmet
2. Jaylon Johnson

All that said, Ryan Pace did hit on his last 1st round pick (Roquan).

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If you think we have an offense then there's no reason not to go for a QB now. A couple spots can be filled while in a draft deficit.

I say we need many spots on offense. More than a couple on oline alone. Multiple WRs (but I don't expect the Bears to ever get more than one rental WR that can be considered good at a time) and another good RB would be nice to tandem with Monty.
You either have a fan driven blind spot or you don't want a modern NFL team that can compete.

Watson or Wilson are not rookies any more. You're talking about moving in the draft. How are you planning on drafting Watson or Wilson???

You don't live in a world of reality. You have the same Bears hate all over you that others on here have because of how bad things have been for the last 10-15+ years so you can't even see anything good about this team cause you have so much hate. I hate how bad it's been as well but i'm still able to peek around the corner hoping something good happens for us to get this team back on track.

I'm saying trading up for the 4th best QB in this draft is risky but i was all in for trading for D.Watson or R.Wilson when that was still being talked about and would of been good with trading for a couple other vets if they came available but obviously they never did.

We have two good/great WR's and need to add one to play the slot, we have Monty, Cohen and added D.Williams who's a 3 down RB, we have C.Kmet who will hopefully take that next step and as of now we still have J.Graham who was good for us last year, the inside of our o-line is just fine and Ifedi played well when switched to RT but i do agree that we need to still add a tackle in the draft.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Trask is a pick I really like in the second. Great touch and placement, but needs to learn the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bears take a chance on him. At least they have an affordable backup for a few years, and maybe he exceeds expectations.

I'm hoping we take Ian Book with one of those 6th round picks or a 7th whether we draft one somewhere else in the draft or not. I think that dude is a straight dog and think he could surprise or at least be a G.Minshew type player.