Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
I just don’t feel claypool is some kind of transcendent must have talent that you need to win a bidding war for. It feels like an episode of storage wars and we just got played by the yuuuup guy.
Bigger picture on this one I think.

Can understand some peoples view we are giving up too much, but it's team building and support for Fields, two things people have also berated Bears GM's for in the past.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Would have preferred they traded the Baltimore 2nd instead of the Chicago 2nd.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's a tough one for me because a 2nd round pick is most times a day one starter. Hopefully it's the Balt pick.
Claypool is a day one starter. Plus there is no risk of him being a bust. You are getting a young high end #2 for a 2nd rd pick that has a 50-65% chance of busting

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I like that this signals the Bears have seen enough from this season and believe they have found their guy ---- FIELDS.

This is the first major investment on that side of the ball... and it signals they believe they have their franchise QB and that now they must build around him.

The 2nd was high but it was the going rate to get the deal done at that time. Markets fluctuate depending upon availability, scarcity and what your competition is willing to give up. The Bears clearly had the need -- Claypool fills that need -- and their chief competitor wanted him so they knew they had to bid higher to get what they wanted. Its a high price no doubt but if he pans out the way they envision, and he becomes a true #1 for Fields, he will be well worth it.

Its a bit of a gamble but I like the move. 6'4" wideouts who run 4.4 and leap 40 inches and have great hands don't grow on trees. Usually something is missing in that package -- 6'4" but lack speed, lack hands, etc. but not Claypool -- he has IT ALL ... and I think this staff will hold him accountable and demand he bring IT ALL each and every day.

Yep.

Anyone who says Fields isn't the guy at this point, at least when talking about how Poles sees him, is an IDIOT - this move tells you EXACTLY how Poles feels about him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
WHAA WHAA Bears have no weapons

WHAA WHAA why did bears trade for a weapon?
Haven't heard anyone angry about trading for Claypool, only thinking we gave up too high a pick for him.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
It's paradigm shift in the philosophy that people simply aren't grasping. You can absolutely question/debate the Player, his value until you're blue in the face. But what you can't question is the shift into a modern NFL franchise that's puts a premium on offensive talent and or skill positions. To do everything you can to elevate the QB. Remember where Poles came from, he's just getting warmed up.

And sure, this could all blow up in spectacular fashion and the Bears being right back to where they started in a few years but for fuck sake people, take your fickle/petty blinders off and recognize what's going on here big picture.

I'll take a failed all out attempt to building a proper NFL offense over more of the same, treading water bullshit that we're all so used to.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why would Higgins be available?

The Bengals have tons of cap space and a SB window, plus they'd probably get rid of Boyd before Higgins.

They will probably have to pay Burrow 50m+ a year and Chase 30m+ a year. Not sure they also want to give Higgins 20-25m a year. Hard to pay what is essentially 2 No 1 WRs and a franchise QB although can stagger the money some.

Given where WR salaries are going I might prefer getting a couple No 2s like Mooney and Claypool and where you can perhaps sign both for under 35m a year.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Bigger picture on this one I think.

Can understand some peoples view we are giving up too much, but it's team building and support for Fields, two things people have also berated Bears GM's for in the past.
Just draft someone in the second

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Is Chase Claypool all that great? He's a tremendous talent but I don't feel he's met expectations. I know on paper he fits well in CHI, so hopefully he can realize some of his potential.
Really looking forward to watching him block in the run game.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
They will probably have to pay Burrow 50m+ a year and Chase 30m+ a year. Not sure they also want to give Higgins 20-25m a year. Hard to pay what is essentially 2 No 1 WRs and a franchise QB although can stagger the money some.

Given where WR salaries are going I might prefer getting a couple No 2s like Mooney and Claypool and where you can perhaps sign both for under 35m a year.
Zag when everyone else is zigging.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes...because or CBMB scouts apparently have like 10 2nd round prospects graded higher than Claypool ?
You asked which 2nd round WR is better than Claypool.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Price a bit high, but Claypool is good. Still need to add 1 more Wr this offseason.

I also like that we're getting him now. Time to build rapport with Fields and be good next year.

This is also the first time we've beaten the Packers in years. ?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Is it just me or does the idea of putting Claypool and ESB/Harry out wide and moving Mooney inside sound like a good plan? Feels like Mooney could wax some dudes inside with Claypool around now as the primary weapon outside the numbers...?