Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Finally some fucking positive shit right here. I won't lie, trading out Smith and Quinn had me wondering wtf Poles was up too.
Remember I'm the one that bitched about Gm's banking on draft picks instead of trading for proven players (Pace's situation 2 season ago).. Clay will probably ball out for us.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good point. All indications are he is doing all the right things and will be back in 2023 but things could change.

I understand. I do think that Ridley is actually more stable than many WRs. But the gambling thing is always over fined to show integrity. But, I do see your points. But a 5th in most cases doesn't work out anyway.
He quit mid season on his team

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Steelers trade WR Claypool to Bears

Chicago Bears get: WR Chase Claypool
Pittsburgh Steelers get: Bears' 2023 second-round pick
Trade date: Nov. 1

Grade for the Bears: D+

All the reasons the Bears were better off dealing Roquan Smith than keeping him make this decision puzzling. It's not the exact same scenario -- Claypool has another cheap year on his rookie deal after this -- but part of his value was what he could offer in the second half of 2022, which doesn't matter to a rebuilding Chicago. Or it shouldn't.

Claypool is an OK receiver. He ranks 76th out of 102 wide receivers with at least 100 routes in yards per route run this season, but he's done that with poor quarterback play. In our Receiver Tracking Metrics Claypool has an Overall Score of 63, which ranks 24th among wide receivers and tight ends. That's a massive upgrade from last season, when he recorded just a 39 Overall Score, 89th out of 109 qualifiers.

So why did Chicago make this trade? My guess is their rationale is twofold:

1. They are trying to evaluate Justin Fields before making a critical decision at quarterback this offseason, and adding another receiver alongside Darnell Mooney could help that process.
  2. The upcoming free agent class is weak at WR.
  3. Claypool has another cheap year on his contract in 2023.
But none of those are particularly compelling reasons to trade for a non-exceptional wide receiver now.

play
1:05

How does Claypool fit into the Bears' offense?​

Jeff Saturday breaks down Chase Claypool being traded to the Bears from the Steelers.
Perhaps Chicago having two second-round picks after dealing Smith yesterday was a consideration, but that absolutely should not have been a major factor. Just because a team has an extra asset doesn't make that asset any more expendable. Simply making a selection or using that pick to acquire a quarterback are much more efficient uses than dealing it midseason in a non-contending year.

That this was the Bears' own second-rounder, and not the Ravens', makes this deal even worse. ESPN's Football Power Index forecasts the Bears to have, on average, the eighth pick in the draft and a 33% chance at a top-5 pick in the first round. The Ravens' second-rounder projects to be lower.

Grade for the Steelers: A-

More than anything, this is just strong compensation. An early second-round pick for Claypool in a year when the Steelers aren't contending is too good a price to pass up.

With another cheap year left on his contract, the Steelers did not have to deal him. It does reduce their receiver depth, though they still have a legitimate No. 1 in Diontae Johnson and big-time upside in rookie George Pickens -- not bad at all.

Pittsburgh does seem to have a knack for finding good receivers in the draft, though I wonder if that's just luck and not something that should be banked on.

But again, the downside here is easily worth the payoff: An early second-round pick for a team in the midst of its own retooling is a much more valuable commodity than a year-and-a-half of Claypool.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Great they also loved the Packers trading 2 2nd round picks for Christian Watson.
I agree. Don't shoot the messenger. I disagree with the D+ as well.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
A 2nd for a receiver who’s on pace for a 600-yard year might be a little much, but I’m assuming Poles is paying for upside and development of the quarterback.

I’ve been critical of Poles, but I’m not going to bash him for adding an offensive weapon when he already has an abundance of draft picks. I hope this works out.
Also, in Justin Fields Claypool has the best QB he has ever worked with. This trade should benefit both of them.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes...in this year's draft coming up. Who is the 2nd round WR better
Yeah i saw you cleared that up in another post. I was responding to that post which sounded like you were saying to name any WR drafted in the 2nd round of any previous draft.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers trade WR Claypool to Bears

Chicago Bears get: WR Chase Claypool
Pittsburgh Steelers get: Bears' 2023 second-round pick
Trade date: Nov. 1

Grade for the Bears: D+

All the reasons the Bears were better off dealing Roquan Smith than keeping him make this decision puzzling. It's not the exact same scenario -- Claypool has another cheap year on his rookie deal after this -- but part of his value was what he could offer in the second half of 2022, which doesn't matter to a rebuilding Chicago. Or it shouldn't.

Claypool is an OK receiver. He ranks 76th out of 102 wide receivers with at least 100 routes in yards per route run this season, but he's done that with poor quarterback play. In our Receiver Tracking Metrics Claypool has an Overall Score of 63, which ranks 24th among wide receivers and tight ends. That's a massive upgrade from last season, when he recorded just a 39 Overall Score, 89th out of 109 qualifiers.

So why did Chicago make this trade? My guess is their rationale is twofold:

1. They are trying to evaluate Justin Fields before making a critical decision at quarterback this offseason, and adding another receiver alongside Darnell Mooney could help that process.
  2. The upcoming free agent class is weak at WR.
  3. Claypool has another cheap year on his contract in 2023.
But none of those are particularly compelling reasons to trade for a non-exceptional wide receiver now.

play
1:05

How does Claypool fit into the Bears' offense?​

Jeff Saturday breaks down Chase Claypool being traded to the Bears from the Steelers.
Perhaps Chicago having two second-round picks after dealing Smith yesterday was a consideration, but that absolutely should not have been a major factor. Just because a team has an extra asset doesn't make that asset any more expendable. Simply making a selection or using that pick to acquire a quarterback are much more efficient uses than dealing it midseason in a non-contending year.

That this was the Bears' own second-rounder, and not the Ravens', makes this deal even worse. ESPN's Football Power Index forecasts the Bears to have, on average, the eighth pick in the draft and a 33% chance at a top-5 pick in the first round. The Ravens' second-rounder projects to be lower.

Grade for the Steelers: A-

More than anything, this is just strong compensation. An early second-round pick for Claypool in a year when the Steelers aren't contending is too good a price to pass up.

With another cheap year left on his contract, the Steelers did not have to deal him. It does reduce their receiver depth, though they still have a legitimate No. 1 in Diontae Johnson and big-time upside in rookie George Pickens -- not bad at all.

Pittsburgh does seem to have a knack for finding good receivers in the draft, though I wonder if that's just luck and not something that should be banked on.

But again, the downside here is easily worth the payoff: An early second-round pick for a team in the midst of its own retooling is a much more valuable commodity than a year-and-a-half of Claypool.
Simply making a selection or using that pick to acquire a quarterback are much more efficient uses than dealing it midseason in a non-contending year.

But not building now is useful too, is it?

How do these people get paid money to write things with holes in them, when I can come here and read similar?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That would mean they likely gave more for him than the Steelers paid. Buy high, sell low. At least he gave fields something though.
Agree. Still think it was too much for Claypool but i'm happy we still gave Fields help and he will help for sure. Hope they still go for a WR early in the draft.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah i saw you cleared that up in another post. I was responding to that post which sounded like you were saying to name any WR drafted in the 2nd round of any previous draft.
My ebonics lol

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trading for Claypool reminds me of Epstein putting in a claim for Cole Hamels. You could feel the worm was starting to turn.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Can't it also turn into a 1st? Those terms were wild.
It can become a 3rd or 2nd depending on play and if they sign him to a new deal. I would of done this deal over the Claypool deal. Ridley is a legit #1 and a great route runner. I get he hasn't played in two years but i have no worries about him being just fine once he gets his legs back.