Bears trade for Claypool

Rise

Liked Posts:
Jesus Christ this would be stupid. All 3 of those guys would want new deals within the next 2 years.

Also I don't know why you guys quoting the 5th for Ridley. It is a 2nd round pick because if Ridley is any good next year then that means he probably hits the condition that triggers a 2024 2nd round pick.

So you would be giving up 2 2nd rounders and then probably having to sign all 3 of them for 55-60m. That would be fucking stupid.

No it would not be stupid if the Bears actually take advantage of comp picks.

If let’s say your “worst case” scenario came true and the Bears actually had 3 WRs for two years who are each worth $20million. For one that’s an exciting offense to watch. For two they would let the weakest link walk and recover a 3rd.

This is what good teams do. Hedge their bets. Do you think this is more likely or that probably one of the 3 gets injured? Either way the Bears would be covered.

Go overreact and cry that I don’t worship every move the Bears make to someone else. I just call things like I see it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You post this in every fucking thread, dude! Give us a fucking break! See a shrink.
I already saw a shrink and he said to tell you to stop spending so much time on your knees. So stop spending so much time on your knees. Damn i feel better now.

greg23

Liked Posts:
What's the downside of getting a guy now?
He may not be available in the offseason.
You don't know who will be available or what the cost will be.
He gets familiar with Fields amd the offense for half a year instead of starting from scratch in Week 1 next season.

I'm not pretending Claypool is the end all be all. Or that no other WR will possibly be available or better.

But other than simply feeling the need to bitch about literally every single thing, what issues do you have with this?
Guess it's just principle that

1) the bears should have originally drafted him vs Kmet...but that ship sailed.

2) 2+ years later the bears are paying more than where he was drafted....for a player who's production has slightly tailed off after year 1

3) Poles has stated that he wants to build thru the draft.....but all of a sudden is willing to trade pick #33-40ish for a non #1 wr????

4) basically an admission that his wr draft pick last year is unlikely to be a high end contributor at wr.....returner and gadget guy is his future (maybe that's where he belongs but a steep price to pay for a guy getting a few touches per game

We'll see how this works out as he might fit well with fields and on paper the wr room looks much better

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
meh. I think a 2nd rounder is too much for a guy who hasn't really improved much since his rookie year. Now, if his rookie season was like Jefferson's or Chase's, then I'd be ecstatic but Claypool's rookie year was just decent.

Obviously he upgrades our WR room, but I just think a 2nd was a bit pricey.
Those type of guys aren’t available for a 2nd pick lmao.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
This trade made me throw up in my mouth a bit.

I think he can be a #2 or low end 1 at best. But to only have him under rookie money for a year and a half is what hurts because he's going to want that big wr money after. I'd have been ok with it for a 3rd, and happy with it for a 4th.

Certainly a position of need but my opinion is poles over paid by at least a round. Kinda seems like he doesn't trust Pringle or Harry to come back and be the answer.

When the news broke I was pretty happy because he's an upgrade for an area of need but I was hoping to be impressed with Poles sending the Quinn pick over to Pittsburgh.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m confused. Can you elaborate on why you hated him on your other team but happy to welcome him on this team?
I think it was a combination of them not using him properly and then his reaction to it. There were times he seemed to just mail it in. At the same time you could see flashes that he could be great. Sending him to Chicago should take the pressure off. I have 0 faith in Canada btw, but I believe in Getsy to get the best out of him.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So it had to be our 2nd rounder otherwise Pack 2nd rounder would be better than Ravens.
Packers pick is currently right after Chicago and may be better than the Bears by seasons end. ?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think it was a combination of them not using him properly and then his reaction to it. There were times he seemed to just mail it in. At the same time you could see flashes that he could be great. Sending him to Chicago should take the pressure off. I have 0 faith in Canada btw, but I believe in Getsy to get the best out of him.
I mentioned earlier that all 3 of their top WRs have shown frustration with the offense and QBs. Hopefully he can be better utilized in Chicago. Regardless you can pen him in as a WR2.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I think he can be a #2 or low end 1 at best. But to only have him under rookie money for a year and a half is what hurts because he's going to want that big wr money after. I'd have been ok with it for a 3rd, and happy with it for a 4th.

Certainly a position of need but my opinion is poles over paid by at least a round
. Kinda seems like he doesn't trust Pringle or Harry to come back and be the answer.

When the news broke I was pretty happy because he's an upgrade for an area of need but I was hoping to be impressed with Poles sending the Quinn pick over to Pittsburgh.

Then he would be a Packer.

I mean I’m glad you guys have opinions on value and all but when there are actual reports out there stating what other teams offered….

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Play action.
11 personnel
Mooney runs a crossing route from right to left
Velus runs a go route on the left side
Claypool runs a deep post from the left slot
Kmet lines up inline next to the RT, chips then releases to the right flat or stays in
Monty fakes the handoff from Fields and then sits in the middle zone

Claypool was unstoppable in the slot in college on the deep post. He always had a giant mismatch to exploit

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
It'll be fine, guys.

WR room next year:
Claypool
Mooney
Drafted player (1-3 round)
Harry (there IS a chance he could continue to progress and reach his potential - give him the rest of the year)
Velus (gadget player, like Patterson?)

With those guys, that might FINALLY open up Kmet.

Not to mention that probably an improved OL with the $$$ we have.

I like it a lot. A hell lot better than where we were Week 1.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No it would not be stupid if the Bears actually take advantage of comp picks.

If let’s say your “worst case” scenario came true and the Bears actually had 3 WRs for two years who are each worth $20million. For one that’s an exciting offense to watch. For two they would let the weakest link walk and recover a 3rd.

This is what good teams do. Hedge their bets. Do you think this is more likely or that probably one of the 3 gets injured? Either way the Bears would be covered.

Go overreact and cry that I don’t worship every move the Bears make to someone else. I just call things like I see it.

Mooney is a free agent after next year. Claypool is a free agent after next year. Ridley is a free agent after next year. So no you don't spend a 2nd round pick just to recover a 3rd round pick if someone leaves. Not to mention the Bears are likely to still be buyers in 2024 as unlikely to spend 125m in one offseason season which means your 3rd round pick in 2024 is unlikely.

In short, no you did not think this thru. Sorry.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Then he would be a Packer.

I mean I’m glad you guys have opinions on value and all but when there are actual reports out there stating what other teams offered….

Steelers - Hey Ryan, I have your division rival on the phone and they are offering their 2nd, really need your 2nd and not the Ravens.

Poles - Fuck that, CCS told me Claypool is only worth a 3rd or 4th so go pound rocks.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Mooney is a free agent after next year. Claypool is a free agent after next year. Ridley is a free agent after next year. So no you don't spend a 2nd round pick just to recover a 3rd round pick if someone leaves. Not to mention the Bears are likely to still be buyers in 2024 as unlikely to spend 125m in one offseason season which means your 3rd round pick in 2024 is unlikely.

In short, no you did not think this thru. Sorry.

Ok then at the deadline I trade one for a top 5 2nd round pick. It’s such a no brainer should be easy to do.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
But the Jags are? Why aren’t the Bears in the position to take that chance? Hell they could have had both!!

To me it seems like a very low risk and high reward deal. It also protects the tank this year and would have given the Bears a solid 3 WR next year.

Ridley
Claypool
Mooney

Full picks and cap to build the oline and front 7? Sign me up for that.
The Bears have 8 picks and twice as many holes. That is why they are not in the position to take risks. It may very well pay off, but they're just not in that position. They can't afford to use picks for a guy who may or may not play. And if he plays, what will he look like after being out two years?

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Steelers - Hey Ryan, I have your division rival on the phone and they are offering their 2nd, really need your 2nd and not the Ravens.

Poles - Fuck that, CCS told me Claypool is only worth a 3rd or 4th so go pound rocks.
Glad Poles didn't listen to you??

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I know more than one team was after Claypool, but I'd like this deal a lot more if it were the Baltimore second round pick. The bears second round pick will be very high in the round.

Certainly a position of need but my opinion is poles over paid by at least a round. Kinda seems like he doesn't trust Pringle or Harry to come back and be the answer.

Everyone seems to think there is a guarantee the Ravens will make the playoffs. The Ravens still have issues even after the Roquan signing (the picks may be closer to each other than most people think). The Bears also are on the wrong side of the SOS this year. Say the Bears do finish with a top 5 pick, then they may also have trade down options where some team may mortgage their future. The Bears got a pretty damn good player at a position that has sucked for 100 years.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ok then at the deadline I trade one for a top 5 2nd round pick. It’s such a no brainer should be easy to do.
Ok my apologies. I should not have indulged your Madden fantasies.

Glad Poles didn't listen to you??

I don't recall ever saying I would not offer a 2nd if that is what the Pack was offering.