Bears trade for Claypool

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Comparing Claypool to the potential of a hypothetical 2nd round WR, there have been 32 WRs taken in the 2nd round over the last 5 drafts:

Claypool is 10th out of 32 in yards per game, and 6th out of 32 in touchdowns per game. So he's solidly in the top 1/3rd of WRs drafted in that round over the last 5 years.

When comparing to just the last 3 drafts (since they'd want somebody to be productive for Fields ASAP), only Tee Higgins (33rd overall pick in Claypool's draft) has more touchdowns per game, with Claypool well above the 17 other 2nd round receivers in that time.

So the odds are firmly against finding a better WR than Claypool with that pick, and even more so when looking for one that can contribute more to Fields's continued development in his third season.
Great fucking post.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I mean yeah he’ll play immediately but there’s still a learning curve. I’m waiting for the cunting if he doesn’t drop a 100 yard game this week
Imagine if he goes for 0yards and has a holding penalty and 1dropped pass.

Rise

Liked Posts:
You do realize the Bears 2nd rd pick is slotted at #12 currently, correct? When you keep saying top 5 2d round pick, that is just some made up thing in your head.

I think I said that once? It’s a high 2nd most likely. Is that better? In fact it’s a consensus that’s why the Steelers chose the Bears.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Yes we messed up our second round pick at WR, bit like the first round WR in the top ten ...

Claypools production puts a lot of the WR's taken in the second round and above in to some clarity.

Is Claypool a sure thing? No idea, I'm not the one cunting about a player and the one second round pick used to make a trade on a message board when that player has 2.5 years of production for another team, yet has yet to take a meaningful snap on the Bears.

I'll wait and see rather than speculate.

I didn’t know not slurping every move is cunting. I’m just not a fan of overpaying for this guy, at this time. Doesn’t mean I won’t hope it works out, hope he turns into Randy Moss and then nobody will care what pick it was.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good luck with that when they have Lamar Jackson to sign. They might not have a choice. They get a 3rd comp back if Ro leaves so its not that big of a Heartbreaker for them. No deal is in place now, and I'm sure Ro would want to test free agency
I hear that every year...teams find ways to get it down most of the time.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
No they gave up a 2nd round pick. No mention of first round. Stop crying and complaining.
Bears 2nd round pick is like 5 picks from the bottom of the first round. I didn’t say they gave up a first round pick I said they essentially gave up a first round pick in value.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not necessarily true. They may be forced to use their 1 tag L Jackson, if so they will be forced to let him walk or pay him whatever insane amount he will think he is worth now.
I don't see them giving up a 2 and a 5 for a half season rental.

They will have 48+ million in cap space next year and can also move on from a couple players if they want.

The franchise tag for a QB is probably going to be about 28 million thats plenty of room.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
No it's not.
It’ll be top 10 in the second round.

I don’t love or hate the move, just think Poles should have made a move in the previous off season or the upcoming off season. He waited until prices inflated when he could have just bet on Fields to begin with.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Comparing Claypool to the potential of a hypothetical 2nd round WR, there have been 32 WRs taken in the 2nd round over the last 5 drafts:

Claypool is 10th out of 32 in yards per game, and 6th out of 32 in touchdowns per game. So he's solidly in the top 1/3rd of WRs drafted in that round over the last 5 years.

When comparing to just the last 3 drafts (since they'd want somebody to be productive for Fields ASAP), only Tee Higgins (33rd overall pick in Claypool's draft) has more touchdowns per game, with Claypool well above the 17 other 2nd round receivers in that time.

So the odds are firmly against finding a better WR than Claypool with that pick, and even more so when looking for one that can contribute more to Fields's continued development in his third season.
This is probably the simplest and best way to look at it.

Were the Bears going to find a better WR with that pick in the draft? Probably not. This is like getting a productive NFL WR in the second round, with a couple of years shaved off.

This also gives them some flexibility early in the draft to not have to go WR (not that they would feel they have to anyway, but still).

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I mean yeah he’ll play immediately but there’s still a learning curve. I’m waiting for the cunting if he doesn’t drop a 100 yard game this week
Cunting works in the bulls forum! Everytime someone cunts about someone, that someone immediately starts playing better lol

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bears 2nd round pick is like 5 picks from the bottom of the first round. I didn’t say they gave up a first round pick I said they essentially gave up a first round pick in value.
No. Its 12. So essentially its NOT a 1st round pick.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I get there are people who would want to take a swing at WR in the second round and benefit from the smaller contract. Poles looked at the draft class and free agency and went with more of a known quantity with Claypool. I also think that Poles wisely knows he can't fully evaluate whether Fields is the franchise QB or not this year given the weapons around him and their inability to perform in the first half of the year. Throwing Claypool into the mix for the remainder of this season may be as much about helping to assist in the evaluation of Fields in 2022 as it is to position them for 2023 and beyond. I'm not going to fault Poles for this move as I'm also underwhelmed at the free agent prospects at WR and feel like the draft is a big question mark coming up this year.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The beauty of the trade is we got a WR with potential, and we now have more flexibility when FA and the draft comes around.

If there ends up being a WR poles likes early in the draft, he can still draft the guy. But now he won’t feel like he has to due to the dearth of talent at the position