Bears trade for QB Nick Foles

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just play whoever is better. I don’t care who it is.

Foles offers a better floor.
Trubiksy offers a better ceiling.

Foles ceiling is as a player capable of leading a team to a SB while being SB MVP. Trubisky's ceiling is pie in the sky unprovable dreams. Trubisky doesn't have a higher ceiling. He has an unknown ceiling which misguided fans mistake for higher ceiling.

Depends what you mean by plays well.

If it is 2018 Mitch vs Average Foles then I agree the cheaper Foles is a better option.

I am saying if you imagine Foles and Trubs are equally good then the only thing that should matter is not draft position but cost. In that scenario, Foles is the cheaper option and thus better for the franchise. Trubs would only be better in that scenario if you are the GM since it justifies his picking him but what is best for GM is better than what is best for franchise.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nobody knows how many teams talked to the jags about Foles and there were rumors that other teams have inquired about him but the jags weren't high on trading him and were good with keeping him. Remy is just making shit up to do anything to make it look like Pace made another bad move cause that's just what he does. We'll never know how many teams spoke with the jags about Foles but reports are that there were more but this is the lying season so you actually can't believe anything that comes from the media. There were reports that the Bears were laughing about all the rumors that were out there about there interest in all these QB's and about making offers to some like Teddy. I think there's a very good chance that they were never interested in Teddy.

And you guys are making up shit to say he didn't. No one knows what happen so we are both free to speculate.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The first and second sentences are linked. I am saying I rather Foles play well over Mitch playing well because Foles is cheaper.

Foles plays well - Costs us 20 million next 2 years then rookie QB is about 10 million a year for 3 years.

Trubs plays well - Costs us 30-35 million over next 5 years.

The first scenario is better long term than the 2nd because it allows us to build a better team with more cap space. Not that hard to grasp unless you are a Mitch stan.
I dont know get you mean by "playing well" I guess because if Nick Foles "plays well" and we are winning why would he not be re-signed and the QB in 3 years? He's only 31....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Foles ceiling is as a player capable of leading a team to a SB while being SB MVP. Trubisky's ceiling is pie in the sky unprovable dreams. Trubisky doesn't have a higher ceiling. He has an unknown ceiling which misguided fans mistake for higher ceiling.

Foles had a magical playoff run.

That isn’t what he has done over the course of his career.

Flacco had a more magical run in the playoffs won the Super Blowl, but no one thinks he has a high ceiling anymore.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

We have seen Mitch absolutely light up some teams.

The ceiling comes from those games and his youth.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
At the end of the day it won't matter what the Bears gave up or pay as long as they win. If they lose, then everything will be nit picked to death.

Well that's how it should go but on CCS everything gets nit picked to death before we see the results.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Depends what you mean by plays well.

If it is 2018 Mitch vs Average Foles then I agree the cheaper Foles is a better option.

I am saying if you imagine Foles and Trubs are equally good then the only thing that should matter is not draft position but cost. In that scenario, Foles is the cheaper option and thus better for the franchise. Trubs would only be better in that scenario if you are the GM since it justifies his picking him

Foles had a magical playoff run.

That isn’t what he has done over the course of his career.

Flacco had a more magical run in the playoffs won the Super Blowl, but no one thinks he has a high ceiling anymore.

Foles also had 27 TDs and 2 Ints so it isn't just about a magical run. His ceiling is higher based on the best we have seen him play in the actual NFL. Trub's ceiling is high based on Bears fans wet dreams as Trubs has never had a run as good as Foles over a time period as long as Foles.

We have seen Mitch absolutely light up some teams.

The ceiling comes from those games and his youth.

We have seen Foles do it better over a longer period of time. Foles had 10 starts over a season with a 119 rating. That blows Mitch out of the water as his best 10 game showing over a given season doesn't even approach 100 rating.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I dont know get you mean by "playing well" I guess because if Nick Foles "plays well" and we are winning why would he not be re-signed and the QB in 3 years? He's only 31....

Because in my scenario we already drafted a QB as well so it would be like a Brees and Rivers situation where once Foles contract is up, we have Rivers ready to take over while still on a cheap rookie deal.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Foles also serves the role of evaluating Nagy if Trubisky fails this season.

If Nagy can't put up decent numbers with Foles at the helm, the Bears may be looking for a new coach in 2021.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well that's how it should go but on CCS everything gets nit picked before we see the results.

Probably because we have 30+ years of largely shitty results. And you cheerlead most moves before seeing results so you are just being a hypocrite. You are entitled to be optimistic before seeing results and others are entitled to be pessimistic before seeing the results. Of course, based on history the pessimists are more likely to be right than the optimists.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Foles has a career 88 QBR. He is not intended to be the long term solution at QB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Just play whoever is better. I don’t care who it is.

Foles offers a better floor.
Trubiksy offers a better ceiling.

It almost feels like Foles is at his best when he feels like he has to come in and be a savior, so i think i'd rather we start with Trubisky and let him play as long as he's playing well enough to keep playing and as long as our record isn't getting out of control and we don't have a losing record. If Trubsiky keep playing well which is best case scenario IMO then stay with him. I guess they reworked Foles' contract to where he has the option to opt out after each of the first two years so we let that just play itself out.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
And you guys are making up shit to say he didn't. No one knows what happen so we are both free to speculate.

But you're the one talking like you have facts and you do it all the time but never have any facts to back up you're fictional posts that you say are facts. Does that make sense? lol

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Foles has a career 88 QBR. He is not intended to be the long term solution at QB.

Take out his fluke 2013 season of 27 TD's to 2 INT's and then look at his numbers.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Probably because we have 30+ years of largely shitty results. And you cheerlead most moves before seeing results so you are just being a hypocrite. You are entitled to be optimistic before seeing results and others are entitled to be pessimistic before seeing the results. Of course, based on history the pessimists are more likely to be right than the optimists.

Hmmmmmmm cheerleading the moves we make before seeing results or shitting all over the moves we make before seeing the results?? Being positive about your team no matter how good or bad it's been over the years or being a negative fuck about your team because it's been bad for most of the last 20 years??? Man this is really tough to choose a side.

:gfto:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Take out his fluke 2013 season of 27 TD's to 2 INT's and then look at his numbers.

But you also have to take into account how his career has gone for him and how he's really just been thrown into a game here and there besides that 2013 season. It can't be easy to get traded over and over again to new teams with different systems and not get consistent playing time to get adjusted to the systems. I don't know if you watched that video clip in another thread of Rich Eisen talking about how his career has gone and all the trades and who he was traded for but here it is and it's pretty crazy.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am saying if you imagine Foles and Trubs are equally good then the only thing that should matter is not draft position but cost. In that scenario, Foles is the cheaper option and thus better for the franchise. Trubs would only be better in that scenario if you are the GM since it justifies his picking him

Foles also had 27 TDs and 2 Ints so it isn't just about a magical run. His ceiling is higher based on the best we have seen him play in the actual NFL. Trub's ceiling is high based on Bears fans wet dreams as Trubs has never had a run as good as Foles over a time period as long as Foles.

We have seen Foles do it better over a longer period of time. Foles had 10 starts over a season with a 119 rating. That blows Mitch out of the water as his best 10 game showing over a given season doesn't even approach 100 rating.

That was also over a half decade ago, 2 failed starting stints, and multiple years of being a backup.

I think it is pretty clear he can't and won't replicate that.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Foles is a good fit for what they want accomplished this year: Push Mitch, give him a short leash, and have a guy behind him that can come in and actually play.

My only issue is giving a 4th for him. That's way too much.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes and I am saying in that scenario, he would likely sign a 1 year deal not a multi-year deal. Unless you assuming that he has figured it out but then is too dumb to realize it and only Bears know.
The implication is he signs a backup deal and emerges next year.