Bears trade Howard to Philly for a 6th (possible 5th)

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
No sense wasting any effort or money on a RB if the line can't run block. Fix the line, and Cohen and Montgomery will be fine back there.

We'll still add another RB to take thew M.Davis role and be a true backup RB which Cohen isn't cause he's more of a gadget type RB that can be lined up everywhere and i like going with the smaller speedy type like M.Breida which someone else brought up a few weeks ago on here. He's the type of RB we should add in the offseason to play behind or with Monty.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not in the playoffs

Haha very funny. I know Tampa was one and we all know why they weren't in the playoff but was just wondering who the other 3 were.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Don’t get wrong passing is important. But passing alone is not successful. Teams must run the ball and get turnovers to make the playoffs and give their teams a chance.
I think this is more of a conversation around offensive scheme development. You need concepts that attack many areas of the field that play off each other. For example, have a off tackle power play which can also be a reverse, which can also be play action/deep shot play.

I'd add it's a bit opponent specific. If you are playing against the leagues best run D maybe pass more. If you are playing against the best pass D, then maybe run a bit more. You have to be good at situational football, meaning it focuses on what you are trying to accomplish against a specific defense.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Don’t get wrong passing is important. But passing alone is not successful. Teams must run the ball and get turnovers to make the playoffs and give their teams a chance.

I would love to become a San Fran, Tenn, Balt type of running offense but i'm not sure Nagy has it in him to run a system that runs so much. He wants to throw the ball but you have the type of QB that you can make this offense into a more run scheme then passing scheme if you fix the o-line and add a mauler at RG and add a legit RB to go with Monty and Cohen that can run and catch passes. Monty showed he can catch the ball and Nagy still barely called pass plays to him.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this is more of a conversation around offensive scheme development. You need concepts that attack many areas of the field that play off each other. For example, have a off tackle power play which can also be a reverse, which can also be play action/deep shot play.

I'd add it's a bit opponent specific. If you are playing against the leagues best run D maybe pass more. If you are playing against the best pass D, then maybe run a bit more. You have to be good at situational football, meaning it focuses on what you are trying to accomplish against a specific defense.

This is something the bears couldn’t/wouldn’t do. The bottom line however is that all the best teams run for average and/or high yards per game.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haha very funny. I know Tampa was one and we all know why they weren't in the playoff but was just wondering who the other 3 were.

Rams, Dallas, Atlanta

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
This is something the bears couldn’t/wouldn’t do. The bottom line however is that all the best teams run for average and/or high yards per game.
I think it was more about 'couldn't' than 'wouldn't'. For most of the year the OL sucked. Tackles lost most of the time and the interior featured a broken/recently retired Kyle Long and two other players whom just couldn't get chemistry going.

The side fans don't see is Nagy probably had a good idea what they were bad going into the season. He probably saw them get their asses kicked by Hicks & Co in practice, identified their limitations and tried to play call away from areas of weakness.

To the fan it looks like he won't try things that seem fairly straight forward. The truth is Nagy just doesn't believe his players will be able to execute.

There's the opposite side where coaches over trust players to overcome weaknesses. The best example of this is when Osi Umenyiora beat Winston Justice for 6 sacks in a single game. I've mentioned this before, but Andy Reid believes in his players to a fault. He strongly believed that the his second round, second year player, was ready to handle his blocking assignments. The announcers were openly wondering why Reid didn't give him some help against Osi.

I guess the lesson learned is that coaches know these players abilities way more than any of us. That's only part of the picture. From there the team can still fail in giving the players too much or not enough to do. It's a delicate balance, which is often hard to get right.

Let's compare that to our jobs. Often our employer either gives us too little or too much responsibility. Same thing happens in the NFL. The only difference is when the employee or manager (coach) fail it's on a national stage.

Last edited:

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did the top 4 rushing teams that were in the playoffs run more than pass? Gain more yards rushing than passing?

Baltimore was tops because of their QBs rushing yards, not because they had a Jordan Howard.

Teams winning run more at the end of games. Teams losing pass more. It’s not simply cause and effect: run more and you win.

You do know more teams that 'run at the end of the game, it is more times than not they are already ahead and killing time off the clock? It's not always to get themselves back into the game. If games are close I can see your point. But the team passing at the end of the game, is because they are trying to get back in it. Most teams when down pass outside of like a single score down.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You do know more teams that 'run at the end of the game, it is more times than not they are already ahead and killing time off the clock? It's not always to get themselves back into the game. If games are close I can see your point. But the team passing at the end of the game, is because they are trying to get back in it. Most teams when down pass outside of like a single score down.

Look at YPC

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, for this year, yes, but if you are looking for trends the league has been moving more towards passing.

This past year was interesting. A lot of QB injuries this season. Remember, consistent performers like Brees, Mahomes, Big Ben, Flacco and Cam, we also had a lot of rookie QB start this season and finally we had the leagues MVP in Lamar Jackson rush for 1206 yards. Actually look at that last point for a second. Pretending the passing stats were on par sub out Flacco and put in Lamar and there's a 1200 rushing yard difference on it's own.

Overall it's still a passing league. When teams have sub par performances from their QB like the Saints, Pats, Bills or Eagles did this past week they will probably lose.

They got sub-par performances because most of those QBs are aging and not sure there are elite guys coming up to take their place. The other guy Wentz appears allergic to the playoffs.

You need a QB that can make plays when necessary to win in this league so in that regard QB is still the most important position. However one of the easiest ways to ensure your QB will make plays when the time comes is to take pressure off of him with a running game.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs Q&A

Where did the pick the Bears get for Jordan Howard end up? Didn’t it have a chance to move up a round? — @roninarc
The Bears will receive a sixth-round pick in the 2020 draft from the Eagles in exchange for Howard. There was a chance the pick would improve to a fifth-rounder, but Howard didn’t play well enough for that to happen.