Bears tried to trade quarterback Nick Foles to the Eagles & other teams but nobody wants him

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
The WORST case scenario is we have a guy who won a Super Bowl in the room where we're developing our franchise QB. By all accounts he seems to be a good communicator, high character guy and no doubt will be able to happily share his knowledge/experience with Fields.

If Dalton starts - and I really hope he does. Then Foles is on the sidelines with Fields on gamely talking him through things and bouncing ideas off him.

The investment in not rushing Fields into starting and surrounding him with experienced QB talent could easily be worth the money and picks if it leads to him being the player we all hope he can be for the Bears over the next 10 to 15 years.
I’m guessing they don’t keep both Dalton and Foles. Have Pace/Nagy ever kept 3 QBs on the roster?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That’s the part I don’t get. How the fuck you give a 4 th round pick and take on that contract? A real gm would have taken a pick for doing the Jaguars a favor.
I blame Nagy as much as Pace who likely overplayed enabler.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I'm baffled by those saying it was a dumb trade? Really?! What was the better option?

All because a decision doesn't work out, doesn't mean it was a bad decison. Every move has risk. Nothing works 100% of the time.

Trading for Foles was a low risk with medium to high reward type of trade. We were getting an untested QB coming off injury after winning the Super Bowl. This type of move worked with Allen Robinson. It didn't work here. Oh Well! Only a 4th and 6 mil of cap space. We are only allocating 15 mil or so to QB this year. Not bad, especially if things get figured out at the position.

But I swear, some of you act like you have 20/20 vision in hindsight.

But even with hindsight, it wasn't a worthless move. Nagy was humbled and gave up playcalling for a while. We were able to evaluate the offense minus Trubisky in the lineup. The OL was identified as the biggest weakness and we were able to make some moves there, despite the limited cap space. It also helped solidify the franchise needing to move away from Trubisky into a different direction.

Liked Posts:
NO

And I hate Dalton as a QB. There was no guarntee that Fields would drop to them, a lot of shit had to transpire for that to happen. If they don't sign Dalton, you're left with Foles if Fields doesn't become available. They had to get somebody.....coming back with one of the two stiffs that put them into position of saving their jobs would've really greased the skids for them. While I don't like the signing, I do understand it.
I get it and understand it. It’s still dumb for the bears, but yeah for their personal reasons it makes sense

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Move Foles to assistant QB coach.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Foles contract if traded isn't terrible for a backup:

2021: $4M
2022: $8M

Averages out to $6M a year for 2 years which is basically what we paid Chase fuckin Daniel 4 years ago.

There are worse backups, maybe we see him moved if theres a TC injury to another teams QB/backup QB.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I’m guessing they don’t keep both Dalton and Foles. Have Pace/Nagy ever kept 3 QBs on the roster?
I think if they can trade Foles they will, you have to assume that would be the best option, but it makes little point to release him when he could serve as support to Fields and act as either a starter or back up if Dalton goes down injured.

Don't know the rules - but I assume he could drop to the practice squad?? Would be the same as having Trubisky/Foles/Bray

Obviously best case is someone loses a QB at the start of the season and/or are looking for an experienced back up to a rookie (maybe the Jets?)

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I think if they can trade Foles they will, you have to assume that would be the best option, but it makes little point to release him when he could serve as support to Fields and act as either a starter or back up if Dalton goes down injured.

Don't know the rules - but I assume he could drop to the practice squad?? Would be the same as having Trubisky/Foles/Bray

Obviously best case is someone loses a QB at the start of the season and/or are looking for an experienced back up to a rookie (maybe the Jets?)
If they could trade him before the start of the season than sure, but he really serves no value to the team. I think Dalton has played long enough to be able help Fields. You release him because it frees up another spot on the roster. I also think Foles would request a trade or to be released before going to the practice squad if he’s eligible.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Big Dick Nick to the practice squad!!!!

The knowledge level of our fan base never ceases to amaze me.

As I said in the post, I don't know the rules, so rather than make a snide comment like that, maybe offer some context.

I'm not from the US, so you may well be right and I probably don't have the required level of knowledge - so can you explain why it's not possible?

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm baffled by those saying it was a dumb trade? Really?! What was the better option?

All because a decision doesn't work out, doesn't mean it was a bad decison. Every move has risk. Nothing works 100% of the time.

Trading for Foles was a low risk with medium to high reward type of trade. We were getting an untested QB coming off injury after winning the Super Bowl. This type of move worked with Allen Robinson. It didn't work here. Oh Well! Only a 4th and 6 mil of cap space. We are only allocating 15 mil or so to QB this year. Not bad, especially if things get figured out at the position.

But I swear, some of you act like you have 20/20 vision in hindsight.

But even with hindsight, it wasn't a worthless move. Nagy was humbled and gave up playcalling for a while. We were able to evaluate the offense minus Trubisky in the lineup. The OL was identified as the biggest weakness and we were able to make some moves there, despite the limited cap space. It also helped solidify the franchise needing to move away from Trubisky into a different direction.
Bears fans love to bitch, not a big surprise.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
As I said in the post, I don't know the rules, so rather than make a snide comment like that, maybe offer some context.

I'm not from the US, so you may well be right and I probably don't have the required level of knowledge - so can you explain why it's not possible?
Nick Foles cannot be put on a practice a squad….FYI

Last edited:

greg23

Liked Posts:

Typically 10-12 year vets with 100 or so games haven't been eligible for the practice squad for 10-12 years and about 95 games ago

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A 4th round pick for that contract on a player that everyone knew the Jags didn't want. It's sure isn't a smart trade.
No, it wasn't and a lot of us screamed that at the time. But it's become pretty obvious that Pace will over pay on almost any trade he makes.....just gotta hope he hits gold on the guys he goes after. But so far the batting average on his trades wouldn't be good if was playing baseball.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
A 4th round pick for that contract on a player that everyone knew the Jags didn't want. It's sure isn't a smart trade.

It wasn't the same contract though. Foles played a year under his 4 year, 88 mil for the Jaguars and then restructured the remaining 56.9 million to 24 mil to play for the Bears.