Bears tried to trade quarterback Nick Foles to the Eagles & other teams but nobody wants him

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It wasn't the same contract though. Foles played a year under his 4 year, 88 mil for the Jaguars and then restructured the remaining 56.9 million to 24 mil to play for the Bears.
He made $12M last season and cost a 4th round pick. All while him being a complete liability behind that OL. Is this a smart trade, yes or no?

discplayer

Liked Posts:
I'm baffled by those saying it was a dumb trade? Really?! What was the better option?

All because a decision doesn't work out, doesn't mean it was a bad decison. Every move has risk. Nothing works 100% of the time.

Trading for Foles was a low risk with medium to high reward type of trade. We were getting an untested QB coming off injury after winning the Super Bowl. This type of move worked with Allen Robinson. It didn't work here. Oh Well! Only a 4th and 6 mil of cap space. We are only allocating 15 mil or so to QB this year. Not bad, especially if things get figured out at the position.

But I swear, some of you act like you have 20/20 vision in hindsight.

But even with hindsight, it wasn't a worthless move. Nagy was humbled and gave up playcalling for a while. We were able to evaluate the offense minus Trubisky in the lineup. The OL was identified as the biggest weakness and we were able to make some moves there, despite the limited cap space. It also helped solidify the franchise needing to move away from Trubisky into a different direction.
Amen... What he said.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
That’s the part I don’t get. How the fuck you give a 4 th round pick and take on that contract? A real gm would have taken a pick for doing the Jaguars a favor.

But the fact is Foles did them a favor by agreeing to restructure his contract for the trade and so all of this is actually Foles getting screwed over considering the circumstances of last offseason .

And no team is gonna trade for him when they know that now the Bears may have to cut him and can pick him for without having to sacrifice any assets later in the offseason.'

Why pay you for something today I can get for free in a few weeks ?

As I said when we signed Dalton it was waste of money as Dalton needs the same things that Foles needs in order to be successful the difference between the two being that Foles has shown that when given those things he can win playoffs games and a sb whole Dalton shown at best he is a first rd exit.

The second thing is the Bears fell right back into the situation of bringing in a veteran qb from outside the team to teach the rookie the ropes when the veteran qb knows as much about the team and facilities as the rookie qb . I felt the Bears should've just kept Hoyer as a guide for the Mitch he already knew the playbook, the facilities and the team and his experience would speak not only from his time outside the Bears but directly towards the guy the Bears staff handled situations in the past in regards to game tape etc .

But all thats moot because Fields should be starting day 1 . The same BS we would get with Dalton before week 2 saying how he and the coaching staff are just feeling each other out and hes getting to know his new teammates on the fields Id much rather just use that time and energy going through that with Fields

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
So for those in here who don’t understand how the PS works and weren’t willing to google it: you technically can send 2 players of any level experience to your PS, but you have to basically cut them and re-sign to a PS contract and after being cut the player is free to just sign elsewhere. For Foles contract with high dead money and his history in the league, it would be cost prohibitive for the Bears cap and Foles could go sign a 1 year low $ contract like Trubisky has in BUF with like 15 different teams. PS salary for Foles would be $12k per week, I’m guessing he made more than that per pass on his current contract.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So for those in here who don’t understand how the PS works and weren’t willing to google it: you technically can send 2 players of any level experience to your PS, but you have to basically cut them and re-sign to a PS contract and after being cut the player is free to just sign elsewhere. For Foles contract with high dead money and his history in the league, it would be cost prohibitive for the Bears cap and Foles could go sign a 1 year low $ contract like Trubisky has in BUF with like 15 different teams. PS salary for Foles would be $12k per week, I’m guessing he made more than that per pass on his current contract.
Thanks, that's a clear explanation and appreciate you taking the time to explain the financial implications and why it wouldn't work contractually with Foles. I had read that they changed the rules in 2020 to allow veteran players on the Practice Squad but hadn't looked at the detail (or indeed know much about how Practice Squads work in general).

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The knowledge level of our fan base never ceases to amaze me.

Typically 10-12 year vets with 100 or so games haven't been eligible for the practice squad for 10-12 years and about 95 games ago

This is awkward.

The rule changed in 2020 to allow veterans to sign to the practice squad.

So for example: The Baltimore Ravens signed Dez Bryant to their practice squad, "The three-time Pro Bowl selection, Bryant was named a first-team All-Pro in 2014 after catching 88 passes for 1,320 yards and 16 touchdowns. All of his 113 career games came as a Dallas Cowboy, but he'll be making the switch to the AFC for the first time in 2020."

The poster @HearshotKDS has explained why, despite the 2020 rule change, it wouldn't be a logical move for the Bears to move Foles to the Practice Squad. That's a well informed take on the matter, greatly appreciated, and it does seem to suggest that there is actually a very good level of knowledge in our teams fan base (though clearly not enjoyed by everyone).

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Cut Nagy not Foles. You could tell Foles was completely frustrated with Nagy and how he was running the offense. This is why I’d rather sit Fields for the season and bring in a new coach for next season.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This. Gotta cut him 1st, then the bill comes due and he gets to choose a destination. Foles on the PS is a nonstarter.

In terms of cap, the best thing that could happen is if Foles outperforms ? because it's unlikely Foles gets traded unless a team that's shallow at QB loses their starter in the preseason. Maybe Pace could throw in a 4th to get er done, LOL.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m more mad at the Dalton signing than Foles.

They already made a mistake trading for Foles, so what does Pace do? Double down and a similar backup level stiff in Dalton. Just utter nonsense.
They aren’t the same level.

They had to have a QB they could start in case the draft didn’t work out.

Foles is horrendous and unplayable. The magic is gone, he isn’t convincing anyone anymore than he can start games.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m guessing they don’t keep both Dalton and Foles. Have Pace/Nagy ever kept 3 QBs on the roster?
They don’t have a choice.

He is untradeable and costs 1 million more to cut than it does to keep him.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Just for anyone wondering, the bears will not be cutting foles this offseason. It wouldn't be beneficial in anyway and would actually be detrimental to the cap space. If they can find a trade they will, otherwise he will be on the roster next season and that's fine.

He's a devilish $6.66 mil tutor for JF and insurance if AD gets injured before they want to put JF on the field.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
foles was a horrible trade. Sucks as a starter then when he finally gets hurt Mitch came in and saved everyones jobs. Now he is a backup and Foles is 3rd string.

Rise

Liked Posts:
No reason to cut Foles he is a good backup qb. In fact he plays his best in relief. He has a decent salary for the next two years why get rid of him unless they get good draft compensation? They will just need to sign a backup next year anyways. In fact Dalton makes more sense to be cut or traded as long as Fields is ready.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
The Jags laughed all the way to the bank on that trade ??