Bears Want Trent Green...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears recently spoke to retired Trent Green about signing on as their backup quarterback, sources tell the Chicago Sun-Times.
Green officially retired in June of last season and has a couple TV analyst gigs lined up. Still, the Bears are interested in bringing in a veteran that knows Mike Martz's system and the situation remains "fluid," according to the Sun-Times. Josh McCown has also been mentioned as a possibility for the job.

This makes no sence to me, he gets injured a lot and he is retired. I would rather have Bulger or even Hanie or the one the Bears just drafted.

Thoughts?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This makes no sence to me, he gets injured a lot and he is retired. I would rather have Bulger or even Hanie or the one the Bears just drafted.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking this is the "Lindsay Hunter" treatment for Green. He'd be the 3rd stringer and essentially be a coach wearing shoulder pads all season.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm thinking this is the "Lindsay Hunter" treatment for Green. He'd be the 3rd stringer and essentially be a coach wearing shoulder pads all season.

Yeah I can see that. But is he a football analyst for a channel that he could get more money for and not get injure? I thought he was but not sure.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I can see that. But is he a football analyst for a channel that he could get more money for and not get injure? I thought he was but not sure.

How much would he really play though? The second half of 1 or 2 preseason games?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
How much would he really play though? The second half of 1 or 2 preseason games?

Yeah but 1 time he gets hit and his head hits the ground, he's done for the season. Also what heppesn if Cutler gets injured, the Bears will be trouble. But that can't happen.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I wouldnt mind this

I figure Lefevour (sp) to be #2 out of training camp anyway

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:

He would be a perfect fit as another "coach" on the sidelines and would be nothing but a plus. No saying he would ever play. Wouldn't be a bad move if he made the league minimum.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah but 1 time he gets hit and his head hits the ground, he's done for the season. Also what heppesn if Cutler gets injured, the Bears will be trouble. But that can't happen.

Not really an issue since he isn't supposed to be playing anyways. Frankly if they sign Green and he's doing anything other than being a 3rd stringer/coaching they'd be in trouble. Green's durability isn't even an issue for this signing.

TheDude13

Liked Posts:
Trent Green is so fragile he would get a concussion standing on the sidelines watching Jay Cutler take big hits. But as a coach on the sidelines, he would be a great asset. A) when ThunderCutler gets back on the sidelines, there is another one of his fellow position players(which is huge from a comfort standpoint for a qb) to diagnose what happened and breakdown what they saw. B) it would be great for Hanie or LeFevour. It is one thing to sit on the sideline and watch the team play and try breaking down what is going on inside your head, it is another to be learning a system and diagnosing a system with a veteran qb who already knows it. It would be a great learning tool. He's the NFL equivalent of a poor man's Greg Maddux as the surrogate pitching coach in this situation.

Manticore

Liked Posts:
Not really an issue since he isn't supposed to be playing anyways. Frankly if they sign Green and he's doing anything other than being a 3rd stringer/coaching they'd be in trouble. Green's durability isn't even an issue for this signing.

/thread

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
seriously he may get at the most like what 2 or 3 reps at the end of a game?

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Despite him being a coach in training pads, I don't know if I like our organization signing Quarterbacks out of retirement. It's just the notion of us grave-digging for a 3rd/4th string signal caller.

There are guys who if they had to get in a game, would be able to produce, sitting at home on their couches.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Despite him being a coach in training pads, I don't know if I like our organization signing Quarterbacks out of retirement. It's just the notion of us grave-digging for a 3rd/4th string signal caller.

There are guys who if they had to get in a game, would be able to produce, sitting at home on their couches.

I think it's only because he knows Martz system. This isn't the same as the Jeff George signing in 2004.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I think it's only because he knows Martz system. This isn't the same as the Jeff George signing in 2004.

This, evidenced by the reports coming out of mini camps (NOT the reports the Bears give) that absolutely NO ONE knew what was going on when the offense was on the field, and practice had to be stopped some 8 times one day so people could be re-positioned and shown how to actually do the things expected of them.

I get what you're saying, but I think it's important to remember that backups and depth-chart fillers at the QB spot aren't the same as bench players or relievers in sports like basketball or baseball.

So signing a guy that has almost no business playing football again (either because of past injuries or current ability level) to be the 3rd stringer isn't necessarily as bad as a baseball team signing a similar type of player to their MLB roster (Omar Vizquel, Randy Williams, etc.) because the latter will actually be needed to contribute throughout the course of a season, while the former won't be needed to contribute that much--if at all--should things go according to plan.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This, evidenced by the reports coming out of mini camps (NOT the reports the Bears give) that absolutely NO ONE knew what was going on when the offense was on the field, and practice had to be stopped some 8 times one day so people could be re-positioned and shown how to actually do the things expected of them.
How much you willing to bet Hester has been an issue?

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
That's just not a good bet. He would have issues with a pop warner playbook for a simple post route.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
How much you willing to bet Hester has been an issue?

Apparently it was everyone on the offense: o-line, receivers, even Cutler

Though, one of the things we have been overlooking in the Hester debate is that he was just one of ALL the Bears wideouts that had trouble understanding the West Coast and West Coast Lite.

Status
Not open for further replies.