Bear's will draft another 1st round QB next year? what?!?!?

Will the bear's draft a 1st round QB next year?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Hell No

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Are you crazy

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Here are the facts when you lay them out:

-The Bears hired someone to be GM who has never been a GM or assistant GM.
-The Bears hired someone to be a head coach who has never been a head coach.
-The Bears hired an OC who has never called plays.
-The Bears did not shore up their offensive line or WR corps.

There are lots of reasons that could be given to expect progress and embrace optimism. Many on these boards have pointed those reasons out. But the facts above still stand. You could forgive a Bears fan for looking at those facts and thinking, "Oh shit, here we go again."

As it relates to Fields, Poles, Eberflus & Getsy, I keep going back to one thought:

What are the chances that the team I've seen fuck shit up left and right my whole life finally has all this right, finally has the right QB, GM, head coach and offensive coordinator? Extremely small.

I'm content to see how it all plays out, but I completely see where @Myk is coming from when you lay out the facts and history.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

There are lots of reasons that could be given to expect progress and embrace optimism. Many on these boards have pointed those reasons out. But the facts above still stand. You could forgive a Bears fan for looking at those facts and thinking, "Oh shit, here we go again."

As it relates to Fields, Poles, Eberflus & Getsy, I keep going back to one thought:

What are the chances that the team I've seen fuck shit up left and right my whole life finally has all this right, finally has the right QB, GM, head coach and offensive coordinator? Extremely small.

I'm content to see how it all plays out, but I completely see where @Myk is coming from when you lay out the facts and history.
I still prefer this approach to recycling fails which is why 'experience' reaches the market. Of course, there are always exceptions and some greats needed a 2nd go around.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I still prefer this approach to recycling fails which is why 'experience' reaches the market. Of course, there are always exceptions and some greats needed a 2nd go around.
No doubt, but are there examples of teams who had a first-time GM paired with a first-time head coach paired with a first-time OC who succeeded?

Maybe them being first-timers will turn out to be an asset when it's all said and done---Who knows? I suppose there's always a counter to everything, but you could forgive a fan for thinking it might be good for at least one of those people to have some experience in their job.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No doubt, but are there examples of teams who had a first-time GM paired with a first-time head coach paired with a first-time OC who succeeded?

Maybe them being first-timers will turn out to be an asset when it's all said and done---Who knows? I suppose there's always a counter to everything, but you could forgive a fan for thinking it might be good for at least one of those people to have some experience in their job.
I expect growing pains but I really don't see signs of anyone being in over their head... so far. I really like the faith Poles has in his coaching to develop skill sets but we'll need to see how that goes.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

I'm actually in wait and see mode. What else can I do? What I saw of preseason wasn't an obvious flop, but I've seen good preseasons before.

As far as the OP and the Bears "will" draft a QB 1st for Field's 3rd year I see no point. He hasn't been so bad that it would dictate he's out after 2 years, but if you're drafting a 1st round QB that's exactly what you should do. You have one year to try a trade and you've just killed trade value and you're saying a 5th and trade costs too much.
I'd at least wait and see what I thought the problem was. If it's the QB get the replacement, but I'm betting if things aren't better it's WRs or Oline so you may as well try to get that looking up before torturing another rookie.

If you wanted rookie QB competition this would've been the year, although we didn't have the spare picks for that.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fields goes down in game three to a season ending injury. Leading up that that, he has just looked "ok".
Further along in the years, Bears trade Quin. Bears end up with the 2nd-3rd overall pick in the draft.

Now what you going to do?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Good points. The only other thing I'd add to the top of the list is,,,,,,

-Ownership allows the following

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Fields goes down in game three to a season ending injury. Leading up that that, he has just looked "ok".
Further along in the years, Bears trade Quin. Bears end up with the 2nd-3rd overall pick in the draft.

How in the FUCK do you have more than 12k posts on the MB of a rival team?????? What is wrong with you?????

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope. I doubt they draft a QB in ANY round next year. They'll be focused on WR, T, and DEF—probably DT, LB, CB. And then later G/C.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

If that were the case.........................Bears trade down with the equally pathic Lions for a boatload of high draft picks, take the QB they want when the Lions draft another RT.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that were the case.........................Bears trade down with the equally pathic Lions for a boatload of high draft picks, take the QB they want when the Lions draft another RT.
Lol, dude, nobody wastes 1st rnd drafts picks more than the Bears.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol, dude, nobody wastes 1st rnd drafts picks more than the Bears.
I mean, I hate to say it, but you're not wrong, historically. Roquan being a recent exception. Fields—TBD still.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Nope. I doubt they draft a QB in ANY round next year. They'll be focused on WR, T, and DEF—probably DT, LB, CB. And then later G/C.

I could see a 4th or beyond if they have enough picks (and we have an idea that Poles likes to get more picks). It's not like we have a SB winning career backup as backup. I would be scared if they did get a 4th or beyond that that was who they were planning on trying after Fields but a revolving door of low round QBs as your 2nd/3rd does make sense (Bears just weren't good at evaluating or keeping the door revolving when they did that).

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could see a 4th or beyond if they have enough picks (and we have an idea that Poles likes to get more picks). It's not like we have a SB winning career backup as backup. I would be scared if they did get a 4th or beyond that that was who they were planning on trying after Fields but a revolving door of low round QBs as your 2nd/3rd does make sense (Bears just weren't good at evaluating or keeping the door revolving when they did that).
Not next year, IMO. Siemian is just fine. We're not going anywhere this year. We have too many holes to plug next year, so I say save a flier on a QB for 2024.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Only if injured, and I am beginning to think that some people just post outrageous crap just to get views.
You're just NOW beginning to think this?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Not next year, IMO. Siemian is just fine. We're not going anywhere this year. We have too many holes to plug next year, so I say save a flier on a QB for 2024.

Don't confuse desire with what the Bears could do. If we're looking at a GB backup right now they could be unhappy with someone. A low round shot in the dark next year could be their solution. And it would make a lot more sense than a 1st round QB that would obviously be to replace your last 1st round QB who you haven't ever fixed the holes for.

For my desire I agree, holes should've been fixed since Trubisky's 2nd year. If they're not fixed for Trubisky they're not fixed for Fields. If they're not fixed for Fields they're not fixed for the next QB. Until we get enough talent on offense spending picks on QBs won't help.

I could see them going for a 4th or below. I can't see them going for a 1st unless Fields is on the trading block or getting cut.

Zerovoltz

Liked Posts:
You guys are delusional!

IF you have a QB, who you believe in, on his CHEAP rookie contract, that is the time to load up the roster and try and win while he's cheap.

Unless your GM took a look and instead decided to cast off bad contracts, hire a D coordinator HC, and so forth.

This is what everyone outside Chicago Bears fandom calls a punt year. Eat contracts, eat a whole season while you build draft capital to rebuild the team. burning through your QB's cheep initial contract years and THEN building up the roster...is not how this works.

They aren't going to come and say "We don't believe in Fields. We are going to "punt" on 2022 and be ready to start our rebuild in earnest in 2023 starting with drafting one of highly touted QB's that will be availabie in this upcoming draft".

All you need to do is look at the Eagles as an example. They have Jalen freaking Hurts on a cheap rookie deal. They think they can win with him....you know how you can tell? They went out and added free agents....made trades for veterans...including a big time WR for him and signed that WR to a big money deal. That's what it looks like.

They were considering trading last years 1st round O lineman (Jenkins) ....that isn't building to help your QB...that's shedding dudes who are bad fits after ONE YEAR because the GM is going to turn this whole thing over.

Wake up Bears fans!

I'm not even trying to paint this as bad news. Poles knows what he's doing. Next year is when things move forward. They are taking a painful but much needed step backward for now. Again....to sum up.....Fields aint it. Your GM's moves ought to tell you everything you need to know about how they view him.

New QB in 2023. 1st rounder.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
You guys are delusional!

IF you have a QB, who you believe in, on his CHEAP rookie contract, that is the time to load up the roster and try and win while he's cheap.

Unless your GM took a look and instead decided to cast off bad contracts, hire a D coordinator HC, and so forth.

This is what everyone outside Chicago Bears fandom calls a punt year. Eat contracts, eat a whole season while you build draft capital to rebuild the team. burning through your QB's cheep initial contract years and THEN building up the roster...is not how this works.

They aren't going to come and say "We don't believe in Fields. We are going to "punt" on 2022 and be ready to start our rebuild in earnest in 2023 starting with drafting one of highly touted QB's that will be availabie in this upcoming draft".

All you need to do is look at the Eagles as an example. They have Jalen freaking Hurts on a cheap rookie deal. They think they can win with him....you know how you can tell? They went out and added free agents....made trades for veterans...including a big time WR for him and signed that WR to a big money deal. That's what it looks like.

They were considering trading last years 1st round O lineman (Jenkins) ....that isn't building to help your QB...that's shedding dudes who are bad fits after ONE YEAR because the GM is going to turn this whole thing over.

Wake up Bears fans!

I'm not even trying to paint this as bad news. Poles knows what he's doing. Next year is when things move forward. They are taking a painful but much needed step backward for now. Again....to sum up.....Fields aint it. Your GM's moves ought to tell you everything you need to know about how they view him.

New QB in 2023. 1st rounder.

All you need to do is look at the Bears for your example of how the Bears work.
Rex is our QB. Did we build offense?
We get pro-bowl Jay Cutler. He can have a nice big and long contract. Did we build an offense?
We move up to get Trubisky. Did we build an offense?
We get Fields. Have we built an offense?

4 first round QBs only one small attempt to have an offense too late to save the QB from the ghosts years of punishment pounded into his head.

Don't assume because a team that is willing to try to win does something the Bears will too. Most teams in the NFL value offense and that hasn't ever been assimilated by the Bears, not even while the NFL was blatantly making rules against the way the Bears want to play the game.

If Fields isn't it and that's already been decided we should be trading him before we prove it to everyone else. Now is the time, the new command isn't going to deal with the old command's players no matter how good they are. No prospective buyers would question it.
If that is the case then no, Poles does not know what he's doing.