Bears WR Allen Robinson will report for minicamp Tuesday

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Bears WR Allen Robinson will report for minicamp Tuesday

Chicago Bears wide receiver Allen Robinson plans to report to the team's minicamp on Tuesday accordi8ng to Jason Lieser of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Robinson did not report to OTAs the past two weeks despite signing his $18 million franchise tag so there was speculation he might hold out for the mandatory portion of Phase 3 workouts also. Lieser reports otherwise as Robinson is expected to participate Tuesday-Thursday with the rest of the team before breaking away for a month prior to training camp.

There is no denying that Robinson is disgruntled given that he has posted over 1,100 receiving yards in each of the past two seasons despite terrible quarterback play. This development is still terrific news for his outlook from Justin Fields, the best quarterback Robinson will have ever played with the moment Andy Dalton is benched. Robinson turns 28 in August.

Last edited:

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Bears WR Allen Robinson to report for minicamp: source

After missing OTAs, Robinson plans to be at Halas Hall for minicamp Tuesday.

Despite wide receiver Allen Robinson’s frustration with his contract situation as he plays on the franchise tag, a source said he plans to participate in mandatory minicamp this week after skipping the first two weeks of organized team activities.

How much on-field work Robinson will do when the Bears resume practice Tuesday for three days isn’t known, but his appearance likely signals he won’t hold out from training camp, either.

Having their best offensive player — by far — on hand as veteran quarterback Andy Dalton takes over the starting job and first-round pick Justin Fields tries to find his footing will be beneficial.

The Bears have no other receiver close to Robinson’s status. Anthony Miller has been a disappointment, and second-year player Darnell Mooney is promising but unproven. The Bears also added free agents Damiere Byrd and Marquise Goodwin, but it’s too early to know what to expect from them.

The Bears certainly are glad to have Robinson in attendance, but they don’t seem to value his contributions as much as he would like. There has been no progress toward a long-term extension. The sides have until July 15 to agree to a deal or Robinson will be an unrestricted free agent again in March.

This would be an ideal time to secure him as part of the franchise’s future. Robinson has three 1,000-yard seasons, is the ultimate professional and, at 27, is in the prime of his career.

Since his arrival in 2018, he has led the team with 255 receptions, 3,151 yards and 17 touchdown catches. He has talked openly about wanting a long-term contract with the Bears since late in the 2019 season, saying he “definitely would foresee spending many more years here,” but instead is playing on a one-year, $17.9 million deal.

Robinson signed the tag and said in April that he was “in a pretty good place” about his situation heading toward the season.

“Fortunately, from my position — contract or no contract — I’m in position to do things that no receiver has done throughout the history of the Chicago Bears,” he said. “Being one of the first franchises and being around for a long time, there are certain things out there to be had. And for that, I’m very excited.”

He added, “I’m having a pretty good mindset going into it. I’m not too focused on anything else other than putting myself in the best position to have a successful year and do what I need to do for this offense and for my teammates.”

It’s common for players to skip voluntary OTAs and even minicamp and the start of training camp during contract conflicts. Teams can fine players for missing any mandatory work.

It was unclear whether Robinson’s absence the last two weeks was contract-related or if he simply declined to attend practices that were optional anyway. Coach Matt Nagy said last week that Robinson had been logging on for meetings on Zoom, which also were voluntary. The majority of the Bears’ starting defense, for example, did not attend OTAs in person.

During the last two seasons, when the Bears ranked 26th in scoring, 29th in yards and 24th in passer rating, Robinson was often the only thing about the offense that worked. He was fourth in the NFL in yardage (2,397) and catches (200) and led the team with 13 touchdowns despite playing with Mitch Trubisky, Nick Foles and Chase Daniel as his quarterbacks.

“I’ve had a million conversations with A-Rob, and he’s well aware of what he means to all of us,” Nagy said before the team used the franchise tag on him. “This is just the business side, and we’re not the only team that’s dealing with this.”

The Bears had only two 100-yard receiving games by someone other than Robinson the last two seasons, both by Miller.

NOTE: The Bears took a look at Brandon Marshall — the veteran linebacker, not the former firebrand Bears receiver — at a workout Monday at Halas Hall, sources confirmed. A Super Bowl champion with the Broncos, Marshall, who played alongside Danny Trevathan in Denver, hasn’t played an NFL snap since 2018. He spent 2019 with the Raiders but didn’t enter a game.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I expect Robinson to make some business decisions this year, so we can hope that the team gets on a roll, and Robinson wants to jump on board.

Robinson has always been a professional (his work with Mooney and overall work ethic), but he has already done enough to land a big contract, and the only thing that would stop him from getting a big pay day is an injury.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Chicago Bears

@ChicagoBears
·
Jun15

After receiving much the heavy interweb criticism for missing OTA's and his misspelling of the word doo, Allen Robinson II showed up early Tuesday greeting the Halas Hall office staff, proving, "When it's time to battle, I'm the first one at the [sic]doeee!!!"

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Was there any indication that he was going to skip mandatory minicamp? Or all the articles based on him not showing up to OTAs like so many other Bears players?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I expect Robinson to make some business decisions this year, so we can hope that the team gets on a roll, and Robinson wants to jump on board.

Robinson has always been a professional (his work with Mooney and overall work ethic), but he has already done enough to land a big contract, and the only thing that would stop him from getting a big pay day is an injury.
This is his last year here imo. I tend to not over-react to what a player does with his social media but his lack of hype with what the Bears have done with drafting Fields kind of concerns me. No posts about it. He basically just talks about the NBA and shares stuff from former teammates who are on other teams, even guys in GB. No pictures of him as a Bear but pictures of him as a Jag. He seems completely disconnected from the Bears. It may be a negotiating tactic but it just doesn't feel right. Can't blame him though. To watch guys who have produced less than you get paid cant be a good feeling.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Of the 38 WRs in the league with more than 800 yards last year, ARob ranked dead last in average yards of separation with 2.3.

ARob is a very good receiver, with great hands and he works great in traffic.

But I think the Bears had a fair argument to not pay him as a top 3 WR.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Of the 38 WRs in the league with more than 800 yards last year, ARob ranked dead last in average yards of separation with 2.3.

ARob is a very good receiver, with great hands and he works great in traffic.

But I think the Bears had a fair argument to not pay him as a top 3 WR.
No way ARob deserves top 3 wr money. ARob is not on Hopkins or Adams level of play. Maybe he could be with a better QB.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At least he’s reporting to camp, that’s all that matters. The Seahawks gave up two 1st round picks for Jamal Adams without securing an extension and now dude is holding out for a deal.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's the 30th one thru the doeeeeeeeeee

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I can see it now the espn headline

bears fans on message board pressure high paid wr to show up to camp

lol

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the Detroit lions are already mathematically eliminated from the nfl playoffs
hahahahahaha your so funny!!

(don't quit your day job, if you even have one)

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
hahahahahaha your so funny!!

(don't quit your day job, if you even have one)
Sorry Bud…… fully retired at 56.
My day job is to do whatever the hell it is I want to do.