Bee Nest Advice

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
These common sence answers are really bringing me down dude.

I was looking forward ta hearing battle with bees stories saving trees and heroic type shit
i was thinking about taking a stick with a rag on the end of it, dousing it in diesel and going into battle.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They are beneficial, even yellow jackets. Pollinators, and killers of other less beneficial pests. If you can avoid, and live with it without any hassle to you or your wife, I'd leave it be. They won't harm the tree, and will only be there until the end of the season.
I would only be concerned with my dog but he's been fine this long so i'll just ride it out.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thats the spirit bro bee a man
that's how my grandpappy taught me on the farm. he'd give my brother and i two rags and a can of diesel and say 'go fetch you a nice stick in the timber over yonder' and kill the hives on the barn lol. we got lit up pretty good. fun times

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Just get some wasp/hornet spray and spray it down the tube and then run for your life. I am pretty sure you can read on the bottle if it safe to use around trees etc.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This seems like it should be right up @Urblock alley

So I have this young tree I planted two years ago. Took my hose over to it and laid it at the tree line and left it for 20 min. Come back to move it and started spraying the mulch I have laid around it to keep the soil nice and moist on these hot days. Bee's (I think I've identified them as yellow jackets) start flying out of the corrugated pipe I have around the trunk to protect it from rabbits. I of course got stung. But now I don't know wtf to do. I've taken down wasp nests before under my deck, but I can't spray this one with pesticide at the base of my trunk.

I'm not really concerned about them, but I am concerned they will kill my tree. Do I just leave them until winter and curb stomp the nest when they're gone? Do I run out there kamikaze style with the hose and drown them as quick as possible?

Please help

View attachment 6115
We had some giant yellow jackets buzzing the deck so I nailed one with wasp spray and dropped the bastard. Pissed off the other 2 and they put an end to deck beers for the day. Be careful. They do seem to leave if I put the spray on the table as a threat and not use it. Lol

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This seems like it should be right up @Urblock alley

So I have this young tree I planted two years ago. Took my hose over to it and laid it at the tree line and left it for 20 min. Come back to move it and started spraying the mulch I have laid around it to keep the soil nice and moist on these hot days. Bee's (I think I've identified them as yellow jackets) start flying out of the corrugated pipe I have around the trunk to protect it from rabbits. I of course got stung. But now I don't know wtf to do. I've taken down wasp nests before under my deck, but I can't spray this one with pesticide at the base of my trunk.

I'm not really concerned about them, but I am concerned they will kill my tree. Do I just leave them until winter and curb stomp the nest when they're gone? Do I run out there kamikaze style with the hose and drown them as quick as possible?

Please help

View attachment 6115

Seriously though- what is the deal with the pipe? Is the tree growing up out of it...like is it a short segment set vertically like a cup?if so, fill it with mulch to the rim inside.

If the pipe is a long tube you wrapped around the trunk and they are inside of it, fill it with great stuff- the expanding foam.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Seriously though- what is the deal with the pipe? Is the tree growing up out of it...like is it a short segment set vertically like a cup?if so, fill it with mulch to the rim inside.

If the pipe is a long tube you wrapped around the trunk and they are inside of it, fill it with great stuff- the expanding foam.
It's just a small pipe I put around the base. About a foot high. Lots of bunnies and they like to chew on young trees and kill them. Plus my brothers dog thought it was a stick he could play with and chew when he was a puppy lol. The mulch idea isn't a bad idea tho. Might get stung a few times.

Sounds like they will be gone come winter so I'll probably just let them bee unless it becomes a nuisance.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wasps will work their way through mulch, and chew their way through expanding foam insulation.

They have the ability, yes.
But, they usually choose to move on to low hanging fruit.

I work in utility vaults, enclosures and peds all day long...the explosively hot, dark, undisturbed nature of which make them a wasp's wet dream.
Plucking off the nest and a rudimentary blockage is more than enough to move them along.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They have the ability, yes.
But, they usually choose to move on to low hanging fruit.

I work in utility vaults, enclosures and peds all day long...the explosively hot, dark, undisturbed nature of which make them a wasp's wet dream.
Plucking off the nest and a rudimentary blockage is more than enough to move them along.

Well, crdentials aside (I won't brag about mine), this nest is in the ground. You try to seal it, they will open the seal.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Well, crdentials aside (I won't brag about mine), this nest is in the ground. You try to seal it, they will open the seal.
Wait, I thought the nest was located in the tube between the tree and the tube.

I'd certainly hit it with foaming wasp and hornet spray and call it good. If it's under ground I'd probably pull a taco and burn the mother ducker down...

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It's just a small pipe I put around the base. About a foot high. Lots of bunnies and they like to chew on young trees and kill them. Plus my brothers dog thought it was a stick he could play with and chew when he was a puppy lol. The mulch idea isn't a bad idea tho. Might get stung a few times.

Sounds like they will be gone come winter so I'll probably just let them bee unless it becomes a nuisance.
Still not sure what this "corrugated pipe" around the base is. Is it cardboard, or plastic? Does it have holes in it? And you think the bees are in this pipe? Maybe you can post a pick of it.

First of all, I don't think the yellow jackets are any threat to the tree. If you want them away from the tree, what you could do it cover yourself up, like winter time wear, mask and all, and move that pipe away from the tree. If you can't move the pipe, you can cover it with plastic garbage bags and tie them up, the wasps will leave or suffocate.

If the wasps are coming out of the ground, you can do what other guys have said to do with that, liquid soap and water or whatever.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Still not sure what this "corrugated pipe" around the base is. Is it cardboard, or plastic? Does it have holes in it? And you think the bees are in this pipe? Maybe you can post a pick of it.

First of all, I don't think the yellow jackets are any threat to the tree. If you want them away from the tree, what you could do it cover yourself up, like winter time wear, mask and all, and move that pipe away from the tree. If you can't move the pipe, you can cover it with plastic garbage bags and tie them up, the wasps will leave or suffocate.

If the wasps are coming out of the ground, you can do what other guys have said to do with that, liquid soap and water or whatever.

Not my tree, but you get the picture. I agree, not a threat to the tree. The likely put a nest underground the mulch at the base and fly in and out from the pipe, from what I've learned, and are harmless. They can continue renting my land for free I guess as long as they don't start swarming.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Not my tree, but you get the picture. I agree, not a threat to the tree. The likely put a nest underground the mulch at the base and fly in and out from the pipe, from what I've learned, and are harmless. They can continue renting my land for free I guess as long as they don't start swarming.

maxresdefault.jpg
Oh, I see! Yeah, you know you could grab a box of plastic wrap quickly wrap that around the opening. Six layers thick, and I really don't think any yellow jackets would get in/out, if they're in there.

Last edited:

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First of all, to the op, grow a pair you pussy. Take the corrugated pipe away from the tree. You're protecting this tree from rabbits right? Get some heavy duty aluminum foil and wrap around the tree about 2 1/2 feet high, depending on the size of the rabbits you have . Where i live we have these great big rabbits so i had to put a 7 foot tall, 30 lb fish line from the lower 6 inches to 3 feet tall then go every foot until i got to 7 feet . You dont need to do that so i would just do the heavy aluminum foil trick for your pussy rabbits . I hope this helps . FML

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
First of all, to the op, grow a pair you pussy. Take the corrugated pipe away from the tree. You're protecting this tree from rabbits right? Get some heavy duty aluminum foil and wrap around the tree about 2 1/2 feet high, depending on the size of the rabbits you have . Where i live we have these great big rabbits so i had to put a 7 foot tall, 30 lb fish line from the lower 6 inches to 3 feet tall then go every foot until i got to 7 feet . You dont need to do that so i would just do the heavy aluminum foil trick for your pussy rabbits . I hope this helps . FML
you are so tough because you use aluminum foil