Bengals to work with Dalton on a trade

msadows

Liked Posts:
They had a much better running game, they had a better TEs....our number one receiver edges out theirs but their number one did have back to back 1k seasons

1. Do I really need to point to our TEs vs theirs last year?

2. We did have a slightly better WR corps

3. Joe Mixon was averaging 4.1 yards a carry, Montgomery was averaging 3.6

On average Mixon face a stacked front 18.7% and a base front 39.6% and a nickel+ defense 41%

Montgomery face a stacked front 14.5% and base front 33.5% and nickel+ defense 51.7%

Over the last two years Trubisky was 99.7 passer rating rating QB when a single running back could manage 50 yards a game

So now please tell me that the running game didn't affect the Bears and how Trubisky had better weapons...

And no I am not absolving Trubisky for his faults.

Dalton had better support on offense and faced easier fronts to pass out of.

Windy has gone from being one of the best posters on here to being almost completely unbearable over the last couple of months.

This team was near bottom in every statistical category on offense. That comes down to everyone, not just one guy. Obviously it's easy to blame just one guy, but I thought windy was above that.

I've been saying it for months, give trubisky a run game and this team wins. The stats back that up. No, he isn't elite, he's barely average when you give him a run game, but he doesn't turn the ball over and can make a play here or there. The 9ers literally just made the superbowl with a worse version of that qb.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The issue with Dalton is two-fold:

What do we have to give up for Dalton?
What do we have to pay Dalton?
How much better is Dalton than what we already have?

Three-fold.
1. Giving up anything is too much.
2. It’ll be too much for our cap space.
3. Last year he was as bad as Mitch

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Windy has gone from being one of the best posters on here to being almost completely unbearable over the last couple of months.

This team was near bottom in every statistical category on offense. That comes down to everyone, not just one guy. Obviously it's easy to blame just one guy, but I thought windy was above that.

I've been saying it for months, give trubisky a run game and this team wins. The stats back that up. No, he isn't elite, he's barely average when you give him a run game, but he doesn't turn the ball over and can make a play here or there. The 9ers literally just made the superbowl with a worse version of that qb.

You throwing the word unbearable around is the official death of irony.

No one is saying you do not give Trubisky a chance.

But not having a legitimate insurance policy behind Trubisky would seem like an incredibly poor decision. If 2018 Mitch shows up then the backup is a waste of money. If 2019 Mitch shows up then the backup is the best money you have spent. Because 2019 Mitch kills the season before it starts.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Alright. You've been bitching too long.

In what fuckin world do you think 2019 Mitch was ever going to be sat permanently? He legit had 1.5 seasons of experience coming into last year. You don't bench that person, well, idiot meatballs do(you're starting to act like one, btw)

Fuck the whining on here is pathetic.

Mitch got his total garbage season in 2019.

He does not get 2020 to play like garbage without someone coming in.

Mitch is either better in 2020 or he is benched, to actually execute that you have to have someone capable of starting waiting. See the Tennessee Titans.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I sign Dalton for 7/season [the Tannehill deal]

Mitch gets 4-6 games to start to show that at a minimum he is playing at the 2018 level.

If Mitch is playing like 2019 after 4-6 games he hits the bench and we give Dalton a try.

You can insert Mariota or on the low end Keenum into Dalton's spot.

I am not sure why this is a crazy idea.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
1. Giving up anything is too much.
2. It’ll be too much for our cap space.
3. Last year he was as bad as Mitch

Dalton is the least desirable of the "competition" being mentioned. He's like a poor man's Philip Rivers(the 38 year old version)

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dalton is the least desirable of the "competition" being mentioned. He's like a poor man's Philip Rivers(the 38 year old version)

Who would you prefer for a reasonable rate?

Phil Rivers is going to make 20+ million.

Of course Dalton is like the 9th best option, but he is one of the few that appears to meet the criteria

1. Cheap enough to actually sign
2. Not good enough to take Trubisky's job day 1.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Who would you prefer for a reasonable rate?

Phil Rivers is going to make 20+ million.

Of course Dalton is like the 9th best option, but he is one of the few that appears to meet the criteria

1. Cheap enough to actually sign
2. Not good enough to take Trubisky's job day 1.
Hence why he's a poor man's Philip Rivers.

I'd much rather have Keenum for the amount of money you want to pay Dalton. He's at least shown he can lead a team deep into the playoffs(something that Dalton has never accomplished).

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I could never root for a team led by a ginger.

sewie

Liked Posts:
Dalton and Green will end up going to the Patriots.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I could never root for a team led by a ginger.

The same can be said for a Qb named, "Mitch".

You can also tell Mitch was teased about his name cause in every QB interview before the draft he made sure to let everyone know that he prefers to be called "Mitchell". That's like someone named John asking everyone to call them Johnathan, Chris for Christopher, Mike for Michael. Just doesn't happen less you have a teaser name like "Mitch"

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hence why he's a poor man's Philip Rivers.

I'd much rather have Keenum for the amount of money you want to pay Dalton. He's at least shown he can lead a team deep into the playoffs(something that Dalton has never accomplished).

I don’t think Keenum and Dalton are going to get that different of a pay day.

I am fine with either.

But they need someone they can turn to for 10-12 games if Mitch sucks again. That isn’t a “good backup” that is a former starter.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I really don't care who it is out of Keenum, Dalton and co, although you would have thought that the Lazor appointment might make Dalton more likely.

If they don't bring anyone in I'll be amazed.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really don't care who it is out of Keenum, Dalton and co, although you would have thought that the Lazor appointment might make Dalton more likely.

If they don't bring anyone in I'll be amazed.

It would be malpractice.

Trubiksy showed way too low a floor in 2019 not to have a serious player waiting.

If he had played like he did in 2018 and you could reasonabely predict that was his floor than you could probably survive with Daniel.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
What grates is the people getting angry about us having to talk about signing career mediocrity like Dalton, Mariota, Keenum are the same people that was be phoning in to talk radio asking why we don't have a back-up plan if Mitch continues down the toilet.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What a sad state of affairs. Just a season ago we thought Andy Dalton level was Trubisky’s floor. Only one season later, and a past his prime Andy Dalton is actually an improvement to the Bears current QB situation.

Last edited:

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Mitch got his total garbage season in 2019.

He does not get 2020 to play like garbage without someone coming in.

Mitch is either better in 2020 or he is benched, to actually execute that you have to have someone capable of starting waiting. See the Tennessee Titans.

yep if they force feed Mitch in 2020 (assuming he continues to struggle), Nagy will lose the locker room quick. Every other position you play below average week in and week out you will get benched, jock itch mitch should not be immune from same competition and throwaway the season for a 2nd straight year. (see Titans is right)

Mitch will play a heavy dose of preseason games this year. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think people looking at this wrong. It is not simply Trubs vs Dalton. It is Dalton vs Daniel. Dalton is closer to league average QB play than Daniel which is the important thing.

As to whether Dalton is better than Trubs in this offense that is unknown. Yes he had a poor year but Nagy can scheme guys open and the question is whether Dalton is a better fit in this offense not whether he outplayed Trubs in a completely different one.

This offense requires someone who can consistently make the right reads and in that regard, Dalton may be better even if he doesnt have the overall arm talent of Trubs. Dalton actually had the lowest average time in pocket and the highest percentage of throws that took 2.5 seconds or less. So whatever his faults he is reading the defense quick.

Having said that Bears should take their time and explore all options but Dalton is a stop gap that ensures we have at least one QB that can go through progressions quickly. Nagy has to change the O to fit Trubs. If he can run his O with Dalton then that may in fact lead to better results as Dalton is simply a smarter QB at this point.

Last edited:

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What a sad state of affairs. Just a season ago we thought Andy Dalton level was Trubisky’s floor. Only one season later, and a past his prime Andy Dalton is actually an improvement to the Bears current QB situation.
In delusional CCS posters heads...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
They paid Chase $6M last year.....regardless of who they get I hope it is similar to that, hopefully no more than $10M.

I hope Pace does not have another brain fart and spends $18M on an unproven back-up.

Speaking of which, I just think that Dalton is another Glennon type mistake. There are way too many QBs in the FA Market this year to pick from.

I would rather have Keenum or Mariota, it is just a stupid feeling that I have....that Dalton would be a mistake..

I still tend to think they will go all in on Trubisky this season, and he will get at least 8 games before they consider pulling him (assuming he is healthy).