Bengals to work with Dalton on a trade

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think there are some misunderstandings of the circumstances I would bring in Dalton.

1. I am paying him a max of 8/season

2. I am not trading for him

3. Mitch gets 4-6 games to show improvement

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think there are some misunderstandings of the circumstances I would bring in Dalton.

If games were determined by the QB having red hair I would bring in Dalton. Otherwise no.

Draft somebody in round 2. Get Alex Smith to hop around on one leg. Something like that.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If games were determined by the QB having red hair I would bring in Dalton. Otherwise no.

Draft somebody in round 2. Get Alex Smith to hop around on one leg. Something like that.

If they want to do that then I would be fine without a veteran.

They are not going to do that.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Windy is right. Dalton makes a good fit for a viable veteran backup if Mitch fails, if you don't give up high picks and the cost is reasonable.

The positives

1. Coached by Bill Lazor and had his best seasons with him

2. He's capable of actually throwing the ball and putting up yardage. Multiple 4000 yard seasons or at least averaged 250+ a game on short seasons. Actually had a season with 106 rating. So you at least know his ceiling is good and he's capable of being efficient and passing on teams. The knock is that he hasn't done that enough and wasn't good last year.

3. At least he's shown his upside. He started his career with 5 winning seasons but obviously ended up mostly playing Patriots, Broncos, Steelers or Ravens in AFC playoffs so knock his playoff beats, but still won games on a mediocre team. So you know he can win if he has some level of talent, especially a defense.

He'd be a step above unproven guys we've always signed in the past like Hoyer, Glennon, Campbell, Daniel that never had good seasons. We just hoped they would somehow improve. Dalton has at least proven he's capable of playing well.

coolio

Liked Posts:
Job shouldn’t be promised to Mitch, it should be an intense training camp between Mariota (dont want)/ Mitch or Dalton/Mitch whoever performs better in training camp they win the job.

coolio

Liked Posts:

What if we go like 0-2 or 0-3 and he’s playing bad?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Windy is right. Dalton makes a good fit for a viable veteran backup if Mitch fails, if you don't give up high picks and the cost is reasonable.

The positives

1. Coached by Bill Lazor and had his best seasons with him

2. He's capable of actually throwing the ball and putting up yardage. Multiple 4000 yard seasons or at least averaged 250+ a game on short seasons. Actually had a season with 106 rating. So you at least know his ceiling is good and he's capable of being efficient and passing on teams. The knock is that he hasn't done that enough and wasn't good last year.

3. At least he's shown his upside. He started his career with 5 winning seasons but obviously ended up mostly playing Patriots, Broncos, Steelers or Ravens in AFC playoffs so knock his playoff beats, but still won games on a mediocre team. So you know he can win if he has some level of talent, especially a defense.

He'd be a step above unproven guys we've always signed in the past like Hoyer, Glennon, Campbell, Daniel that never had good seasons. We just hoped they would somehow improve. Dalton has at least proven he's capable of playing well.

This is the best part of CCS...

Dalton never played against those teams in the playoffs

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

That would be ideal, as far as money, but will Dalton just get cut and if he does get cut, I would imagine he would look to get a better option to perhaps start somewhere?

I' not sure Chicago would be his first choice....

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If they want to do that then I would be fine without a veteran.

They are not going to do that.

No argument. There’s a huge difference between what should be done and what they will do.

If there ever was a draft where we should be taking a QB it’s this one. The starter is questionable and the backup is even worse. We might need two QBs over the next two years, but its all wait and see on what Mitch does this year.

With the 2 seconds its a no brainer to draft somebody like Eason or Fromm if they’re still around.

Yet I get the feeling we’re going to over reach on a TE in the second because ZOMG GRONK CHANGED FOOTBALL 4EVAH and then maybe a meat and potatoes type pick with an OL (which would be a good thing).

The whole argument about Mitch is dead from a political standpoint because if Mitch = failure then Pace should lose his job. Pace won’t allow Mitch to be benched unless he is just rancid and the pisser is Mitch will play just good enough to start but nowhere near the level of expectation.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No argument. There’s a huge difference between what should be done and what they will do.

If there ever was a draft where we should be taking a QB it’s this one. The starter is questionable and the backup is even worse. We might need two QBs over the next two years, but its all wait and see on what Mitch does this year.

With the 2 seconds its a no brainer to draft somebody like Eason or Fromm if they’re still around.

Yet I get the feeling we’re going to over reach on a TE in the second because ZOMG GRONK CHANGED FOOTBALL 4EVAH and then maybe a meat and potatoes type pick with an OL (which would be a good thing).

The whole argument about Mitch is dead from a political standpoint because if Mitch = failure then Pace should lose his job. Pace won’t allow Mitch to be benched unless he is just rancid and the pisser is Mitch will play just good enough to start but nowhere near the level of expectation.

I doubt Eason or Fromm fit our "O" and OL( they lack mobility). I appreciate your other comments, bcuz they indirectly say that we are really not interested in winning and getting back to a SB.

I've talked about this in other threads how our management and coaching is more about egos not being crushed and ppl. being right about choices made vs. winning.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That would be ideal, as far as money, but will Dalton just get cut and if he does get cut, I would imagine he would look to get a better option to perhaps start somewhere?

I' not sure Chicago would be his first choice....

There are like 9 better free agent QBs available. I am not sure Dalton is going to be picking and choosing his situation.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[QUOTE="TheMarshallPlan, post: 3309733, member: 18236".
[/QUOTE]

Great, so they over reach for a TE in the second. Again. I don’t necessarily disagree but, Pace cannot fuck this up. I mean, obviously he can fuck it up, he’s proven that.