• Strawberry Fields Forever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (post in thread)

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Best Beatles Song?

Polls only allow 10 options. If the best song isn't here, post it below.

What do you think is the "best" Beatles song, and which is your favorite, if they aren't necessarily the same?

Just in case you'd like it, here's a quick list of other very popular choices:
Please Please Me
Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End
All You Need Is Love
A Hard Day's Night
She Loves You
Let It Be
Here Comes the Sun
Yesterday
Can't Buy Me Love
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Eight Days a Week
The Ballad of John and Yoko
She Came Through the Bathroom Window
Because
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Baby, You're a Rich Man
Free as a Bird
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
She Said She Said
Oh! Darling
A Day in the Life
Come Together
In My Life

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Seattle Mariners
  1. Los Angeles FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Tennessee Titans
  1. St. Louis Blues
  1. Kentucky Wildcats
Very hard list as love the Beatles but..
A Day in the Life
Long and Winding Road
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Yellow Submarine
Something
Hey Jude
Don't Pass Me By

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Glass Onion.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Very hard list as love the Beatles but..
A Day in the Life
Long and Winding Road
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Yellow Submarine
Something
Hey Jude
Don't Pass Me By
While My Guitar and Something are certainly two of their best, love both of them. Hey Jude is fun.

You like Don't Pass Me By? how come? Never liked that much. Always seemed a bit droning and repetitious to me.

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
"HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE" IS BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN. ONE OF THE GREATEST SONGS EVER
Here, There and Everywhere is a beautiful song. The first time I heard it was when I brought home a Revolver cassette tape. Even though I had listened to Soft Rock on the radio, I hadn't heard it before. It doesn't get a lot of radio play.

The vocal tone is really quite odd. It's a weak falsetto or almost falsetto. Such a light touch. I couldn't even tell who sang lead or who wrote it. At the time, I thought it was Harrison. McCartney wrote and sung lead, 'he has also said that he was trying to sing it in the style of Marianne Faithfull'.

Last edited:

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Here, There and Everywhere is a beautiful song. The first time I heard it was when I brought home a Revolver cassette tape. Even though I had listened to Soft Rock on the radio, I hadn't heard before. It doesn't get a lot of radio play.

The vocal tone is really quite odd. It's a weak falsetto or almost falsetto. Such a light touch. I couldn't even tell who sang lead or who wrote it. At the time, I thought it was Harrison. McCartney wrote and sung lead, 'he has also said that he was trying to sing it in the style of Marianne Faithfull'.
John Lennon was a very negative guy. He was very critical of his own work and others. He rarely threw out compliments, but did say that this song was McCartney's best

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I think the best song is Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. It's so ethereal but also very joyful. Plus I'm a fan of songs that have different parts to it, and two lead singers.

I think my current fav is We Can Work It Out, a great mix of passion and harmony and upbeat. Which also basically has two songs put together, which I wouldn't doubt was half Lennon half McCartney.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Didn’t see it listed anywhere on here....paperback writer

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Happiness Is A Warm Gun. Big fan of The White Album in general.

Just to be a snob: I have all their albums (up to Abbey) in mono :p

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Didn’t see it listed anywhere on here....paperback writer
Love Paperback Writer. It really fascinated me as a kid, the aggressive guitar, trippy echo on the chorus, and the lyric topic is unique for sure.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Happiness Is A Warm Gun. Big fan of The White Album in general.

Just to be a snob: I have all their albums (up to Abbey) in mono :p
I discovered the White Album later in life, Happiness Is A Warm Gun never got much radio play, but it's definitely one of the best on the double album. A buddy of mine had it played live at his wedding.

The monos are the way the producer and the Beatles intended it, with Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, and Let It Be the first to be released in stereo. The Revolver cassette I had had hard pans, where some instruments were left and the vocals on the right. Very weird. I prefer the stereo mixes myself. But I am curious to hear some of the monos, like the fast Revolution...

Wiki
For example, in the case of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, all the mono mixes were done together with the Beatles themselves, throughout the recording of the album, whereas the stereo mixes were done in only six days by Abbey Road personnel George Martin, Geoff Emerick and Richard Lush after the album had been finished, with none of the Beatles attending.[10] George Harrison commented:
At that time [...] the console was about this big with four faders on it. And there was one speaker right in the middle [...] and that was it. When they invented stereo, I remember thinking 'Why? What do you want two speakers for?', because it ruined the sound from our point of view. You know, we had everything coming out of one speaker; now it had to come out of two speakers. It sounded like ... very ... naked.[11]
Besides Harrison, John Lennon did not like the stereo mix of Revolution used on the 1967-1970 compilation album. When interviewed in 1974, Lennon said:
The fast version was destroyed. It was a Heavy Record, but the stereo mix made it into a piece of ice-cream.[12]