best comp for Fields is RGIII pre injury or a faster McNabb

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Brett Farve probably never read a book, let alone a defense.
Yep. There were stories when he was in film rooms in Atlanta he'd be asking the other QBs what a Nickle defense was?

We've all seen it. Some great athletes are as dumb as rocks, but man can they play a specific sport. They can do an extremely 'smart' play without even thinking about it.

I also think 'intelligence' can be broken down into many different directions, so it's sorta dumb trying to make too much sense of it all. The reason why we don't know the GPA of each of these prospects is that it's not a material item within the analysis.

And of course, we've all seen smart people fail. We see it in sports, business and even in politics (less common now that most politicians are two faced dummies).

Intelligence is hard to measure and isn't much of an indicator of success.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Any reason you're not focusing on his intelligence as a Qb.

It's probably the hardest thing to measure. Something like a 40 time or hand size can all be measured and compared.

How do you say one person is more intelligent than the other? Are you wanting to go back to the highly flawed Wonderlic test? Are you assuming all college offenses, teammates and opponents are similar, so you can just see who's smarter based on production alone? Is it just listening to how they talk and articulate their thoughts in a way you are used to hearing them?

Would Johnny Manziel be 'football smart' or just regular dumb?

I've heard about Mac Jones intelligence. T. Lawrence and Zach Wilson
IDK....these articles found ways to measure and or talk Intelligence.

NFL Exec Says Alabama's Mac Jones 'Borderline Genius ...

--------

What makes Trevor Lawrence such a good player? - News4Jax

Intelligence

Lawrence graduated with his degree in marketing in just three years. He was a three-time Academic All-ACC selection. But it’s more than just about book smarts. He also processes defenses quickly and is able to find the open receiver.

----------

Zach Wilson Scouting Report
Strengths: Intelligent

WalterFootball.com

Would Johnny Manziel be 'football smart' or just regular dumb?
IDK.....I liked his mobility. I thought he made some bad decisions.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:

--------

Intelligence

Lawrence graduated with his degree in marketing in just three years. He was a three-time Academic All-ACC selection. But it’s more than just about book smarts. He also processes defenses quickly and is able to find the open receiver.

----------

WalterFootball.com

I guess what I'd ask, does being smart help or is it just important they aren't dumb? I'm thinking it's more like arm length in the tackle position where history shows if they don't have a minimum threshold length their chances of success are limited, but it's not like the longer the better.

I think about HOF players and it's not like intelligence jumps out as a requirement to put on the jacket. I feel they need to be 'smart enough' to understand the concepts and execute, but ultimately it's the coaches job to 'out smart' the opposing coach.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
I respectfully disagree. From arm motion to physical make up to how their senior year went down they are very different.

But, yeah, they are both black.... so there's that...
I was referring to thier ability to drop the deep ball in the bucket, pocket awareness and ability scramble if necessary.

Had nothing to to with race

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
If we keep Robinson for a few years it won't be long til Fields plays like 2004 McNabb. I'm pretty sure that was the year he became the first QB to throw for 30+ TDs with fewer than 10 INTs...

That being said, he's got the talent to make his own mark on the league and not need to be compared to anyone else. Lucky for him he's with Chicago because he's just gotta be better than Cutler to eat for free in the city for the rest of his life.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I guess what I'd ask, does being smart help or is it just important they aren't dumb? I'm thinking it's more like arm length in the tackle position where history shows if they don't have a minimum threshold length their chances of success are limited, but it's not like the longer the better.

I think about HOF players and it's not like intelligence jumps out as a requirement to put on the jacket. I feel they need to be 'smart enough' to understand the concepts and execute, but ultimately it's the coaches job to 'out smart' the opposing coach.

Your points are well taken. I was just pointing out, (via those articles and what I've noticed over decades).....the intelligence factor seems to always get 'shoehorned' into the narrative of what makes certain ppl good Qb's.
Look at what was said about Mac Jones' intelligence in the article.

However, if ya have a Qb with "athletic ability", ya don't hear about the intelligence, as though it's non-existent. It's like "athletic ability" is all certain Qb's have going. I believe Fields', football IQ and intelligence will continue to propel him throughout his career, regardless of the other factors.

but ultimately it's the coaches job to 'out smart' the opposing coach.
yes, agreed....this is a very good point. I hope it happens for us. ;) (y)

Last edited:

cdubz11

Liked Posts:

--------

Intelligence

----------

WalterFootball.com

every white QB seems to be the smartest dude ever lol. racism just finds it's way into everything.

Fields 3.9 GPA in high school and 29 on ACT. chooses his words carefully. his dad in videos says sports didn't matter if he didn't do well in school.

also just watch the video of him getting drafted by Bears. that is a DISCIPLINED family. think his dad was military they said and that shows my god they barely cheered lol just stood up and gave awkward half hugs. his reaction was "just ready to get to work"......."tired of draft process just wanna go to work get to Chicago".

i think what teams missed on Fields was just how serious he takes football and how disciplined he is.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

--------

Intelligence

----------

WalterFootball.com

every white QB seems to be the smartest dude ever lol. racism just finds it's way into everything.

Fields 3.9 GPA in high school and 29 on ACT. chooses his words carefully. his dad in videos says sports didn't matter if he didn't do well in school.

also just watch the video of him getting drafted by Bears. that is a DISCIPLINED family. think his dad was military they said and that shows my god they barely cheered lol just stood up and gave awkward half hugs. his reaction was "just ready to get to work"......."tired of draft process just wanna go to work get to Chicago".

i think what teams missed on Fields was just how serious he takes football and how disciplined he is.

Good insight and analysis.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I was referring to thier ability to drop the deep ball in the bucket, pocket awareness and ability scramble if necessary.

Had nothing to to with race
I feel they have more things that are different than similar. There are some similarities, but not enough to project that Fields will develop into a Wilson. Just too much different at same points in their career and how they play.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
I feel they have more things that are different than similar. There are some similarities, but not enough to project that Fields will develop into a Wilson. Just too much different at same points in their career and how they play.
not saying i disagree, but can't say i see much that you'd say Wilson was clearly better at when he came into draft. very similar last year of college stats. both can run but prefer to pass. only thing would be a mental side of it and you would have zero clue about that lol so how would you know.

i think they are eerily similar type players and only reason Wilson fell in draft was his height.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
the one plays in KC but we can hope for a second chance at a number two

Mahomes was 26-49 with 2 INTs in Super Bowl vs a very good defense but not like an all timer defense.

he's gonna be one of best ever if stays healthy but at least showed he's half human lol.

Cacsac10

Liked Posts:
Not RG3, that guy wasn’t that good. I remember thinking back then that all the highlights I saw were him completing 5 yard passes that got taken to the house. Mahomes is the comp. The only thing that may hold Fields back from posting the mahomes like numbers is lack of weapons.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Whatta ya think about that?
Well I think it is how athletic some black quarterbacks are. The only white QB who is that athletic that I can think of would be Josh Allen. I have no problem comparing Allen to Fields if someone wants a black/white QB comparison.