Best LB core in the NFL

fatkid73

Liked Posts:
With the addition of Mack, I think this group has a chance to be the best LB core in the nfl THIS YEAR. Roquan has to play to his potential and Floyd has to stay healthy, but to me, it is not inconceivable to think this unit could send all 4 LB's to the Pro Bowl at some point in the future. It has only been done one other time before(Saints 1992), the potential is there.

Also, With Goldman and Hicks headlining the DL, it is also quite possibly the best front 7 in the league as well especially if we get anything out of Bullard/Robertson-Harris. Time will tell, but I love the potential of this group.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thank God we have real football tonight so we can stop with all the speculation BS.

fatkid73

Liked Posts:
Jags, Rams, Eagles, Vikings and Bears are all in the mix for best front 7, imo.

What did all those teams have in common last year...With the exception of the Rams, all went deep into the playoffs last year. Hopefully this is the start of something GREAT!!

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This front 7 has the potential to be scary good. Hicks and Goldman have been vastly underrated due mostly to the Bears as a whole sucking. I think this D is going to be too good for that happen again this year.

I’m thinking Mack, Hicks, and possibly Goldman and Smith all go to the PB this year. I also wouldn’t be shocked if Fuller, Jackson, or Amos made it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
This front 7 has the potential to be scary good. Hicks and Goldman have been vastly underrated due mostly to the Bears as a whole sucking. I think this D is going to be too good for that happen again this year.

I’m thinking Mack, Hicks, and possibly Goldman and Smith all go to the PB this year. I also wouldn’t be shocked if Fuller, Jackson, or Amos made it in.

Defense will be scary this year. If Trubisky can even be just decent, the Bears could be a playoff team. Schedule outside of the division is fairly soft.

Seattle, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Miami, New York Jets, New York Giants, Buffalo, San Fran are all VERY winnable games. Not saying Chicago will win them all, and they won't, but still. Not to mention we get Detroit twice, who has been good, but not great.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Possibly, but only they can get more pressure consistently than previous years. Mack will definitely help with that, but the rest of the front 7 also needs to consistently generate pressure, especially if Mack gets doubled or tripled.

Interesting post from PFF about how important pressure is (yes I know, this is very obvious info, but it's good to quantify... also I know it's PFF, but their general trends still have value)

Slide1.PNG1_-768x432.png

Looking into last year's stats for D:

7th in sacks
23rd in pressures
20th in opponent 3rd down conversion

For the Bears front 7, or even just LB group, they'd need to improve both pressures/hurries and also getting off the field on 3rd downs. If they can be top 10 in all 3 categories, you'd have a great case for one of the best LB groups for sure. If you can get to top 3 or top 5 in all the categories there, you could definitely make the case for THE BEST group for sure.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't think the Rams belong in the convo for best front 7. Best defensive line? For sure. But even the Rams biggest homers think their linebacker core could be extremely weak. And while they have big names, it will be interesting to see the team dynamic.

I would take our front 7 over theirs any day. And probably over any other team in the NFL, including Minnesota and Philly. We had good players before, and adding the best player any line could offer in Mack solidifies that stance.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Hicks might be the most underrated player in the NFL and I'm not being a homer saying that.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think the Rams belong in the convo for best front 7. Best defensive line? For sure. But even the Rams biggest homers think their linebacker core could be extremely weak. And while they have big names, it will be interesting to see the team dynamic.

I would take our front 7 over theirs any day. And probably over any other team in the NFL, including Minnesota and Philly. We had good players before, and adding the best player any line could offer in Mack solidifies that stance.

I think we might have the best LB group but the Rams and Jags both have better DLs and corners than the Bears which probably makes them slightly better overall defenses on paper. I think our secondary keeps us out of the top 5 in overall defenses.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Mitchapalooza

Amukamara might be our weakest spot on defense if I had to pick one. Which I'm totally okay with. Hopefully he stays healthy. Our pass rush will make our corners and safeties lives so much easier. Can't wait to watch Eddie.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Houston??

Mercilus and Clowney might rival the Bears for the best 3-4 OLB pass rushers, but I'm not sure Watt is still the same player and the rest of their DL and their ILBs aren't great, imo. Few years ago the Texans would definitely have been in this conversation. Their defense and OL have declined.

broughtupbears

Liked Posts:
Defense will be scary this year. If Trubisky can even be just decent, the Bears could be a playoff team. Schedule outside of the division is fairly soft.

Seattle, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Miami, New York Jets, New York Giants, Buffalo, San Fran are all VERY winnable games. Not saying Chicago will win them all, and they won't, but still. Not to mention we get Detroit twice, who has been good, but not great.
Schedule in the division will soften the more they play the bears.

Washington

Liked Posts:
This group most definitely has the potential to be the best LB group and overall front 7 in the NFL. That will require that Floyd and Trevathan stay healthy and Floyd makes takes up a good notch. This LB group could be scary good.