Best Player Available Strategy Needs To Die

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pace's BPA strategy is one of the biggest things that's fucked us over the years IMO. (aside from actually missing on the Mitch pick of course)

You simply can't do BPA when you don't have a franchise QB. AFTER you get a franchise QB then yes it makes sense. But for now the franchise needs to focus on two things and everything else be damned.

1. Find a franchise QB
2. Protect that franchise QB

Everything else can go to hell until that's solved. No more trading up for RB's and WR's when you don't have a QB. No more drafting 3 defenders in round 4 before a guy like Dak. And so on....

I don't care if the defense falls to shit. I don't care it it means they go 2-14 a couple years in row. GET THE FUCKING QB FIXED. Then and ONLY then can you begin to build around him.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
So incredibly wrong.

The draft is already hard enough. The success rate of even first round picks is truly dismal, and the odds of hitting get worse and worse as the selections roll on. It is not unheard of teams to not even get a single starter out of a seven player draft class.

So why would a team further hamper their odds of finding impactful players in the draft by ignoring the best players available? This seems like a recipe for a return to the 2015 Bears when the roster was devoid of any talent whatsoever. Drafting quality players makes thing easier not just on the team on the field but also the salary cap.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pace's BPA strategy doesn't work because he never seems to actually get the BPA.

Correct. But this goes beyond Pace. I've seen too many Bears teams happy to field a great defense and be competitive. I'm tired of merely being competitive every once in a while. I want a franchise wide devotion to fixing the QB. Only then will we see the decade long streak of winning we all want.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Correct. But this goes beyond Pace. I've seen too many Bears teams happy to field a great defense and be competitive. I'm tired of merely being competitive every once in a while. I want a franchise wide devotion to fixing the QB. Only then will we see the decade long streak of winning we all want.
OK but understand this basically comes down to luck of the draw and even then the Bears might wind up finding themselves clinging to a guy like Baker Mayfield for years and years.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
BPA is fine.

Pace just gets severe tunnel vision sometimes when it comes to getting "his guy" and gives up precious draft picks to make it happen. Problem is it's backfired just about everytime.

(Floyd, Trubisky, Miller, Montgomery and to an extent...the Mack Trade)

He's done much better when he let the draft come to him with picks like Roquan, Goldman and Jaylon Johnson. He even did a nice job the one time he was able to trade down to pick up extra picks.

Maybe Ryan Pace learned a big lesson the hard way and it gets better going forward, but the amount of draft picks he gave away for mediocre results is a fireable offense to me.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you're locked in at key positions i think it's a great strategy, we're not and haven't been. I would flip the table and go Tackle first and ride out 2021 with Foles/Henry Burris/Quinn. etc.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Someone else already said it, but BPA doesn't work when you randomly decide when to trade up to pick someone who you think is the BPA mid way through the draft. Because the draft is such a crap shoot you want to maximize the amount of dice rolls you get, not consolidate your picks to move up for a guy you feel pretty good about. When you do move up it needs to be a once in a blue moon thing, not a each and every draft thing, and you sure as hell better be right about who you move up to pick.

greg23

Liked Posts:
BPA is the only strategy that works in the long run....we just don't have the guy who can identify the BPA early in the draft.

If you pick for need; you'll be reaching every year.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears rarely pick the best player available..Thats the problem

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
BPA is fine.

Pace just gets severe tunnel vision sometimes when it comes to getting "his guy" and gives up precious draft picks to make it happen. Problem is it's backfired just about everytime.

(Floyd, Trubisky, Miller, Montgomery and to an extent...the Mack Trade)

He's done much better when he let the draft come to him with picks like Roquan, Goldman and Jaylon Johnson. He even did a nice job the one time he was able to trade down to pick up extra picks.

Maybe Ryan Pace learned a big lesson the hard way and it gets better going forward, but the amount of draft picks he gave away for mediocre results is a fireable offense to me.
This. It becomes only player.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
You can only judge Ryan Pace against his peers, not what appears obvious four years later.
Ryan Pace said that aside from BPA, he also believes in drafting a QB every year. I am more than able to judge him drafting 3 DBs in the 4th round instead of taking Dak. Regardless of what happened four years later.