Big Buff becomes UFA

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow! I thought he was just going to retire. I wonder what happened for him to want to get out of Winnipeg so much.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Wow! I thought he was just going to retire. I wonder what happened for him to want to get out of Winnipeg so much.
Buff would be the Only player I would welcome back. I was never a fan of any of the others being brought back, Buff was honestly that one player I was pissed of about when he was dealt. Obviously 2 more championships help erase those memories but I always felt he was a huge loss for years. He was one of the players that couldn’t be replaced. Even though the Hawks went on for continued success, he was the type of player Bowman continuesly looked for every year at the trade deadline.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Buff would be the Only player I would welcome back. I was never a fan of any of the others being brought back, Buff was honestly that one player I was pissed of about when he was dealt. Obviously 2 more championships help erase those memories but I always felt he was a huge loss for years. He was one of the players that couldn’t be replaced. Even though the Hawks went on for continued success, he was the type of player Bowman continuesly looked for every year at the trade deadline.

I think our bigger loss was Hammer. but they thought they would have to pay him 7 million like Seabroke to keep him. They have never been able to fill the skates of Big Buff. Bickel did ok for a while, then disappeared for games, probably due to his medical condition, but its also how Buff went too. At the time he left they had expected Jimmy Hayes and Andrew Shaw to get his ice time anyway.

Big Buff getting in Luongo's head was a key to getting past the twins.

Would be interesting to have see what might have happened if Buff stayed at Forward.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I doubt he wants to play again, as supposed in the following article; and even if he did, I doubt he'd be able to come back. He's 35, coming off of ankle surgery, and sat out the entire year -- it's not easy for an older player to return after such a long layoff. Has he even skated or worked out in all this time? I'm under the impression he hasn't, which makes it all the more impossible for him to come back.

Buff was awesome, but I said this at the time and I stand by it: it was either Sharp or Buff, and I'm glad we kept Sharp. There was no way to keep both at the time due to the cap, and Bowman made the right choice (for a change).

Now, would I want Buff back? It's a little tempting, but I would say no. Retreads never work, and if he isn't already done, I can't see him playing beyond next year. If there's anything worse than a retread, it's a retread that's performing his swan song.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
There have been a bunch of articles. That he was suspended by Winnepeg because their doctors said he was fit to return but Buff knew his body was not. The problem with the drunken boating, even though he passed the breathalizer, refused the urine test which is a guilty verdict, 3000 fine or one year in jail. The bigger problem was that they weighed him in at 286 when he was arrested, nothing really to do with the drunken and disorderly deal, it was that he was 46 pounds over his chicago playing weight, ended up skating at 260.

Yeah, the 5/26 deal with Atlanta was too rich for the hawks, but then they also signed him to the 5/38 after that which ended up a million more than Broke was getting.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Man, seeing Big Buff's name brings up great memories from 2010.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Man, seeing Big Buff's name brings up great memories from 2010.

It takes me straight to Luongo and getting past the Twins two years in a row.

Watching him over the last few years, Toews and him really went at it. So no love lost there, no way he makes it back to the indian sweater.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
He was the only skillset they couldn't replace but as a player he got lazy and was immature. He became more worried about his purple Lamborghini payments than hitting someone. Wish it could have worked out longer but it worked out best for both parties. I think I read afterwards it was a wake-up call for him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I doubt he wants to play again, as supposed in the following article; and even if he did, I doubt he'd be able to come back. He's 35, coming off of ankle surgery, and sat out the entire year -- it's not easy for an older player to return after such a long layoff. Has he even skated or worked out in all this time? I'm under the impression he hasn't, which makes it all the more impossible for him to come back.

Buff was awesome, but I said this at the time and I stand by it: it was either Sharp or Buff, and I'm glad we kept Sharp. There was no way to keep both at the time due to the cap, and Bowman made the right choice (for a change).

Now, would I want Buff back? It's a little tempting, but I would say no. Retreads never work, and if he isn't already done, I can't see him playing beyond next year. If there's anything worse than a retread, it's a retread that's performing his swan song.

Especially overweight retreads with bad legs. Don't get me wrong here, I loved him driving the Canucks crazy but then again I also loved it when I heard that the Hawks were going to sign Bobby Orr back in the day.....that quickly turned to disappointment when I saw him on skates with two torched knees. Bottomline....if you needed one player to get you over the top, ok maybe Buff would be worth a shot. The Hawks need far more than the addition of one aging defenseman and besides, that is not the type of move you make when rebuilding.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
You just know StanBo wants to sign him. He's the Ken Williams of the NHL.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Back in the day the Atlanta Thrashers/Winnepeg Jets got 25 year old Big Buff, 25 year old Andrew Ladd, 27 year old Ben Eager and 34 year old Sopel for pennies on the dollar due to the cap issues of the Blackhawks. This was back in 2010-2011.

I remember their GM Kevin Cheveldayoff (ex Blackhawks front office guy) was giddy over this trade and rightly so. Yet only made the playoffs 3 times and got knocked off in the 1st round twice to show for it. lol.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
With Mitchell, Boqvist and Carlson in the mix, Keith and Murphy, for a league minimum it wouldn’t hurt to have Buff play third line mins while the kids get better. Even after missing a full season I would take Buff over Seabs. Get rid of Matta, who knows what DeHaan has left, Buff wouldn’t be that bad, only if Matta and DeHaan are sent packing of course.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Buff is done.

I'm sure he's ballooned while away and one camp isn't gonna get him in game shape.

If he was committed to playing and getting back in shape there's no way the Hawks shouldn't be interested, tho.

But that ships sailed