Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The Bears are going to watch the tape and realize Trevathan was beaten in coverage like a rented mule Sunday. The Lions tried to exploit him as much as possible including the Swift drop.

They have to consider mixing in Bush because he can handle run support and is infinitely better covering on pass plays.

I love Danny and understand he is a leader and a well respected member of the team but he was a major liability yesterday. Pagano needs to shake it up.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Fortunately, the Bears drafted an ILB who could run with TEs & RBs. Unfortunately, he apparently wasn't playing yesterday...

Last edited:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
McManis got run as the 4th DB too yesterday.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Swiss Army knife guys like Derwin James and Isaiah Simmons are so valuable in today’s NFL. They can cover the slot, rush the passer, run support and cover outside if necessary.

Bush could never move outside but he can run support and cover backs and TEs.

The Giants will look at the tape and start scheming to get Engram and Barkley isolated on Danny if the Bears don’t counter.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
So Pagano did institute the Big Nickel quite a bit yesterday and Bush did have a pick. Danny just doesn't have any burst right now. I hope it is more him rounding into condition as opposed to him falling off a cliff athletically.

Also, Chuck has to be more aggressive. He seems comfortable with soft zone looks and trying to get to the QB with only four. He should have been pressuring a QB prone to bad decisions and crucial mistakes instead of letting him scan the field and find the holes in the zones.

If he takes this approach with Matt Ryan, our guys will be in for some trouble. I do think the fast track in Atlanta will help both Mack and Quinn off the edges but he has to look to mix in Skrine or Smith on some blitzes for added pressure. I'm not talking anything crazy like zero coverage, just well timed extra pressure with an additonal defender. A zone blitz now and then could help too.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Biggs wrote that Quinn still isn't in game shape and apparently is not 100% yet. He'll get more snaps this week

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
So Pagano did institute the Big Nickel quite a bit yesterday and Bush did have a pick. Danny just doesn't have any burst right now. I hope it is more him rounding into condition as opposed to him falling off a cliff athletically.

Also, Chuck has to be more aggressive. He seems comfortable with soft zone looks and trying to get to the QB with only four. He should have been pressuring a QB prone to bad decisions and crucial mistakes instead of letting him scan the field and find the holes in the zones.

If he takes this approach with Matt Ryan, our guys will be in for some trouble. I do think the fast track in Atlanta will help both Mack and Quinn off the edges but he has to look to mix in Skrine or Smith on some blitzes for added pressure. I'm not talking anything crazy like zero coverage, just well timed extra pressure with an additonal defender. A zone blitz now and then could help too.
Agreed, Pagano has to increase the pressure. That being said, I've seen Roquan blitz 4 or 5 times now and get absolutely stone walled. He has to be better.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Agreed, Pagano has to increase the pressure. That being said, I've seen Roquan blitz 4 or 5 times now and get absolutely stone walled. He has to be better.

Watch Smith on the 4th & Goal play, he basically took himself out of the play

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears are going to watch the tape and realize Trevathan was beaten in coverage like a rented mule Sunday. The Lions tried to exploit him as much as possible including the Swift drop.

They have to consider mixing in Bush because he can handle run support and is infinitely better covering on pass plays.

I love Danny and understand he is a leader and a well respected member of the team but he was a major liability yesterday. Pagano needs to shake it up.
Not sure what is going on with Trevathan, but yes, he looked slow as a mule running in mud yesterday. In obvious pass situations, something will have to change, In fact, I would have to re-watch film but I thought after the 1/2 he was out on most obvious passing downs.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
He was on a snap count coming off of an injury.

Totally. I guess what I am saying is the performance of the defense may have been erratic because arguably the biggest factor was off the field for the defense. Mack is a titan alone but watching him press the pocket while Quinn came around the end was literally a mathematical formula for success. If Jones goes backwards Quinn blindside crushes Jones. If he steps up into a squeezed pocket Hicks likely maneuvers into him and gets a minimum of a QB hit, with the chance of a batted pass or a sack depending on how Jones decides to act.

Draw a circle. Put a guy in the middle of it. And give that circle a timer before it closes in. For most QBs that timer is 4+ seconds. For Jones on that play he was engulfed in a sea of defenders and his own players in 3 seconds. On plays where Quinn was out there getting pressure fuller also broke on a pass which means he knows the ball is coming out quicker and he can make more plays.

If Quinn stays healthy by mid season the Chicago Bears will be the most dominant defense in football. It's too bad Goldman sat out. They would literally be unstoppable when healthy.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Quinn stays healthy by mid season the Chicago Bears will be the most dominant defense in football. It's too bad Goldman sat out. They would literally be unstoppable when healthy.

Is there any way the opt-out players can return this year? I’ve been thinking the same thing about Goldman and it’s too bad all this nonsense swirled together.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Is there any way the opt-out players can return this year? I’ve been thinking the same thing about Goldman and it’s too bad all this nonsense swirled together.

Perhaps if a vaccine dropped the league would allow for an option to come back. After all the reason for their opting out is health related and could be preventing death.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Perhaps if a vaccine dropped the league would allow for an option to come back. After all the reason for their opting out is health related and could be preventing death.
But it’s not a part of the opt-out rule that there’s a way back? Your scenario sounds like if an extraneous circumstance arises the league would amend the rule

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
But it’s not a part of the opt-out rule that there’s a way back? Your scenario sounds like if an extraneous circumstance arises the league would amend the rule
I would hope for the good of the league.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The defense will get better, I’m not concerned barring injury. The pass rush was on fire in the first half, conditioning is definitely a factor.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Totally. I guess what I am saying is the performance of the defense may have been erratic because arguably the biggest factor was off the field for the defense. Mack is a titan alone but watching him press the pocket while Quinn came around the end was literally a mathematical formula for success. If Jones goes backwards Quinn blindside crushes Jones. If he steps up into a squeezed pocket Hicks likely maneuvers into him and gets a minimum of a QB hit, with the chance of a batted pass or a sack depending on how Jones decides to act.

Draw a circle. Put a guy in the middle of it. And give that circle a timer before it closes in. For most QBs that timer is 4+ seconds. For Jones on that play he was engulfed in a sea of defenders and his own players in 3 seconds. On plays where Quinn was out there getting pressure fuller also broke on a pass which means he knows the ball is coming out quicker and he can make more plays.

"Oldest defense in the NFL"

Window is about to shut