Biggest Steals in the 2023 NFL Draft - Call It Now - No Credit Will be Given Later

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
The term "steal" has been used with the NFL Draft forever so not sure why it would sound foreign to any. You select him whilst others are either too stupid to, don't need that position player, are scared off for any reason or hoped they could get him with their next pick. You could also "steal" a great value pick when teams make an otherwise odd selection and select much lower rated players for whatever reason. The teams behind them then have opportunities at better picks that otherwise wouldn't be there for them.

Could have something like what happened to Carter, that will cause teams to shy away and open the way for others with later picks. Even if you're a team that needs that player at that position badly, you may puss out and let a real championship caliber team have the opportunity to take that much higher value player.

Another example given in OP. A player is taken that a team is intent on signing and then a trade happens and he's gone and they make a crazy pick leaving the much higher value player for the next team. Also injury concerns and what not as with Darnell Washington. Got out that he was having knee troubles. Even with zero knowledge as to the extent or even the truth of that knee problem, he's such a big man that it causes concerns which will cause a team to skip over him and move on to the next guy on their draft board who is still available.

Players with higher ceilings may give way to safer picks as happened when Chiefs traded up for Mahomes while the Bears settled for safe Mitch at pick #2. Many many ways teams can get players of higher value than one would have thought they could with a later pick.

its nice to look like a genius by drafting players later than their general ranking but doesnt always work out that way
higgins - stud
lamb - stud
diggs - stud
jeudy - broncos are praying payton can get him to play better
mims - lol, j-e-t-s
delpit - another waste

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Houston Texans grabbed their hometown hero in Nathaniel "Tank" Dell out of Houston. They also traded into pick#3 and stole the fuck out of Willy Anderson.

Speaking of midgets, the Dallas Cowboys stole Duece Vaughn from the rest of the league.

Staying on the midget theme, @Spartan is the biggest mental midget CCS has ever seen. When ? ? died, he stole that title.
He died?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
So we're just going to list guys that the so called draft experts had rated higher than the guys who are actually paid to make the picks thought they should be picked?
Yeah so NFL.com had Shea McClellin as a 5th rounder and our GM Phil Emery had him as a first rounder. The GMs don't always get them right my friend.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Mooney had 1 decent year in 3 so still not much of a steal. Gibbs taken in first cause Lions HC sees Alvin Kamara in him and it could work out that way but right now, consensus would say Lions blew both their 1st round picks and just opened the door for other teams to get better value in 1st.

Can only live in the now and see what is there now. Elite players can come from any round really but more often than not, the experts see them coming.
Mooney's production and run blocking as a 5th rounder is a steal you're absolutely out of your mind if you think otherwise.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Yeah so NFL.com had Shea McClellin as a 5th rounder and our GM Phil Emery had him as a first rounder. The GMs don't always get them right my friend.
No doubt. There's certainly some GMs who think they've outsmarted the league and get egg on their face as a result (or lose their job).

Washington

Liked Posts:
To me it is Jalen Carter, rated #1 in the draft by many, going #9 to Philly. I think Philly might have the steal of the draft there. The rich get richer. It is going to be a while before Philly falls from their perch. I do have to admit though that I am happier with Philly getting Carter than Detroit. I was very afraid Detroit would take him. I think Detroit is gunna wish they had a do-over when it is all said and done.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
IMO it would be Nolan Smith.

Might be my pick for DROTY at 22/1
100 ?! I think he will lead rookies in sacks and i don’t think it’ll even be close as he grabs 10-13 this year.

I wanted to take Carter oersonally as i though the risk was worth it and the locker room talk is bullshit, it just means the team sucks and no faith in the coaching staff to keep him in line.

The eagles showed why they’re the most talented team in the nfl. Mahomes is the best qb therefore the greatest equalizer bc player per player- the two teams aren’t really even close to talent wise. Mahomes would make eagles unbeatable! They were already practically unbeatable and just got Carter and Nolan smith.

Id rather have Carter and Tyler steen than Wright and Gervon dexter!!!

Nolan smith transcends team philosophy and that’s the problem with defenses like ours- they’re predictable- which hurts them in the draft bc teams know the type of defensive players they want.

How did we not address pass rusher all draft? I think our team is being built correctly- through the draft- not over spending in FA as it’s too early.

As bad as things still are, poles tore it down to the studs and had to get legit at least 15 new starters and he wants his own team so I fear that Poles wants to build HIS team and that means eventually getting rid of Fields and getting his own QB. Ego is a huge factor with GM’s and if they keep fields and let’s say they become a good team after this year in 2024 which is likely- he might not get as much credit bc he’s not the guy who drafted the stud QB.

If I were the bears owners and they knew apace was up against the wall and knew we weren’t planning on playing Fields his first year- why let them spend all the draft capital or let them draft a qb at all?????????

Poles is on the right track even though I don’t like this years second round picks at all. I think they both become average at best players in a rotational system????

Poles might have something up his sleeve in regards to either trading or finding a cut edge help at least for this year or it means next year it will be addressed.

I hope fields is the guy and next year we will then have a huge advantage for getting Marvin Harrison as he will likely go from 1-3 depending how good the tio
Qb’s are.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I’m going to say Zach Kuntz has 5-6 td’s this year and that’s pretty damn good for that late in the draft.

I also don’t agree with not drafting a qb late in the draft. This is stupid. Worked out pretty well for the niners!!

Why pay backup qb’s money- the odds of losing your stud qb and winning the Super Bowl even if you’re the eagles or 49ers and definitely the Chiefs is close to 0.

So, why not have guys that are young and cheap that may surprise everyone and be good?? Long time back ups or guys that have been in the league that everyone knows won’t win shit with have such lush jobs making 7-10 mill a year for no good reason!

Rise

Liked Posts:
Jalen Carter
Christian Gonzalez
JSN
Dalton Kincaid

I think these are the 4 that will immediately stand out. Porter Jr probably will as well because it’s the Steelers and that’s how it works for them.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Have to start with New England here cause the genius of BB was in evidence in the very first round while getting a high value player and blocking a division rival from doing the same. With Broderick Jones still on the board and Jets, obviously looking to add protection for their elite QB, BB swaps picks with Steelers who then take Jones. The move causes the Jets to go into a mental tailspin and just pick whoever. Then with the #17 pick, the Patriots still make out as well as could possibly be expected as they grab, believed by many to be the top CB in the draft, Christian Gonzales. They would also go on to get a late round steal by picking WR Kayshon Boutte in the 6th. He had been projected to go in the 3rd.

And, as it turned out, that pick the Steelers got for trading their second rate WR worked out extremely well for them as they also got a projected first round CB as they drafted Joey Porter with that pick. Steelers also had another pick that could be considered a steal as they drafted Darnell Washington late in the 3rd.

The lowly Browns got a couple of steals for their o-line, Dawand Jones in the 4th and Luke Wypler in the 6th.

Colts took Adetomiwa Adebawore in the 4th.

The Eagles had a strong draft and got excellent value with steals in the 4th and 7th with Kelee Ringo and Moro Ojomo.

With the top rated Safety, Brian Branch, still out there in the middle of the second round, not even the Lions could miss on that steal.

Antonio Johnson is another DB who slid much further down than expected. Jags stole him in the 5th.

The Bears did manage a few mini steals in the draft. Different GM, same shit style drafting whereas early picks are messed up and some promising value found in mid to later rounds. While the great Bijan Robinson's sidekick went about where expected, both Tyler Scott and Noah Sewell were made available to the Bears about a round later than either was projected. Noah can make a big impact if used correctly. And Tyler adds depth and hope to a suddenly spectacular Bears' WR corps.
These are two from former mock drafts that I did, so I'll stick with them. I've linked them to my Mock drafts in which they were mocked.

1683053642781.png

2/61.) Tyrique Stevenson, CB, Miami – Unfortunately, Miami’s D was not good this year. I remember having conversations about Stevenson during the CF season where I was like, Stevenson is a gamer, but the fact that the same tape that will show him picking off passes and recovering fumbles will also show knucklehead plays is why he falls to the end of the 2nd. He’s all traits and upside, long, fast, and plays with thunder. He is very good at jamming and pressing, which will help a lot against the quick receivers coming in. He is a Bears player, but may not do more than ST at first, which will get some people complaining about using a 2nd rounder on him when there were big DTs available. He will eventually be a very good boundary corner.
Mock Draft IV: First day of FA edition

Mock Draft IV: First day of FA edition

1683053680615.png
133.) Roschon Johnson, Texas, RB – Bootleg Bijan. There were many times when I was watching Bijan, I’d think it was him running, but it was Roschon. He is also a former QB, so there’s that as well. We get the big back that can take a cut and go and truck a motherfucker.
Mock Draft IV: Doomsday Scenario with no Bijan, Anderson, or Carter!

Mock Draft V: First day of FA edition

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Jalen Carter
Christian Gonzalez
JSN
Dalton Kincaid

I think these are the 4 that will immediately stand out. Porter Jr probably will as well because it’s the Steelers and that’s how it works for them.
Kinda like Pickett last year…