Biggest Steals in the 2023 NFL Draft - Call It Now - No Credit Will be Given Later

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boy Id like to have traded up instead of down in the fourth and walked away with Adebawore, and Dawan Jones.

A couple freaks to add to the beef we already had.

That said, Sewell looks the be the closest thing Bears got to a steal. I like that pick.

Dawan Jones is my steal of the draft.
QB Hall could be something.

Wypler in the 6th seems about right actually. He has alot to overcome with technique and had no focus on him and lots of help in college.

I think RB Johnson is a average back who won't be trucking anyone once he gets welcomed to the league by a couple DE's. He isn't that big or fast.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I am differing from #myguy Anytime23 but Noah Sewell is my steal for the Bears. I think he's going to do things rushing the passer and devleop into quite the little defensive weapon. Might take a little bit, but I'm excited.

Ji'Ayir Brown is going to outperform a lot of players who went ahead of him.

Jay Ward also. Just a hunch, he was great for the Tigers.
Never thought I would ever agree with you on anything but Sewell is the man.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
100 ?! I think he will lead rookies in sacks and i don’t think it’ll even be close as he grabs 10-13 this year.

I wanted to take Carter oersonally as i though the risk was worth it and the locker room talk is bullshit, it just means the team sucks and no faith in the coaching staff to keep him in line.

The eagles showed why they’re the most talented team in the nfl. Mahomes is the best qb therefore the greatest equalizer bc player per player- the two teams aren’t really even close to talent wise. Mahomes would make eagles unbeatable! They were already practically unbeatable and just got Carter and Nolan smith.

Id rather have Carter and Tyler steen than Wright and Gervon dexter!!!

Nolan smith transcends team philosophy and that’s the problem with defenses like ours- they’re predictable- which hurts them in the draft bc teams know the type of defensive players they want.

How did we not address pass rusher all draft? I think our team is being built correctly- through the draft- not over spending in FA as it’s too early.

As bad as things still are, poles tore it down to the studs and had to get legit at least 15 new starters and he wants his own team so I fear that Poles wants to build HIS team and that means eventually getting rid of Fields and getting his own QB. Ego is a huge factor with GM’s and if they keep fields and let’s say they become a good team after this year in 2024 which is likely- he might not get as much credit bc he’s not the guy who drafted the stud QB.

If I were the bears owners and they knew apace was up against the wall and knew we weren’t planning on playing Fields his first year- why let them spend all the draft capital or let them draft a qb at all?????????

Poles is on the right track even though I don’t like this years second round picks at all. I think they both become average at best players in a rotational system????

Poles might have something up his sleeve in regards to either trading or finding a cut edge help at least for this year or it means next year it will be addressed.

I hope fields is the guy and next year we will then have a huge advantage for getting Marvin Harrison as he will likely go from 1-3 depending how good the tio
Qb’s are.
I disagree with the comment that Poles won't get enough credit if JF becomes a star, he had the 1st pick and traded it because he believed in
JF, to think you only get credit for the original idea is crazy in my mind.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I disagree with the comment that Poles won't get enough credit if JF becomes a star, he had the 1st pick and traded it because he believed in
JF, to think you only get credit for the original idea is crazy in my mind.

Agreed, Poles is tied to Fields now whether he likes it or not. If Young, Stroud, or Richardson turn out to be superior to Fields he has to own that decision. Of course he has also setup an out next year if he needs to, and who could really blame him for sticking with Fields this year? It was the smart and correct move.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Boy Id like to have traded up instead of down in the fourth and walked away with Adebawore, and Dawan Jones.

A couple freaks to add to the beef we already had.

That said, Sewell looks the be the closest thing Bears got to a steal. I like that pick.

Dawan Jones is my steal of the draft.
QB Hall could be something.

Wypler in the 6th seems about right actually. He has alot to overcome with technique and had no focus on him and lots of help in college.

I think RB Johnson is a average back who won't be trucking anyone once he gets welcomed to the league by a couple DE's. He isn't that big or fast.

Dawan Jones is an anomaly; he has all the physical tools but man, he needs some work in the mental arena. He very well could be a 10+ year starter, borderline All-Pro at RT or he could easily be out of the league in 3 years.

That's one of the issues in college football, everyone gets so into the underwear Olympics (combine) and measurables that they overlook the context and nuances of that player, scheme and competition.

We see these physical specimens (I call them the Underwear Champions) but that doesn't always translate to on the field success. In college, you can be the best athlete on the field and dominate due to how water downed the competition is with over 125 D1 teams. Whereas in the NFL, we have only 32 teams, so you are getting the best of the best every single week, so you cannot just dominate on pure athleticism.

Ill pick on Jalen Carter for example...For all the hype around him (and maybe rightfully so but lets see him in the NFL for a season or two) the numbers just don't back him up that much. I mean, for all the hype around a guy that people say is the best player in the draft, the guy only has 83 career tackles in 35 games. Mazi Smith, the other 1st round DT had 88 tackles in 30 games (5 less than Carter).

My point is not that Carter isn't good (and we just don't know yet if he is or isn't) BUT for all the hype surrounding him, the numbers on the field don't add up.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have to start with New England here cause the genius of BB was in evidence in the very first round while getting a high value player and blocking a division rival from doing the same. With Broderick Jones still on the board and Jets, obviously looking to add protection for their elite QB, BB swaps picks with Steelers who then take Jones. The move causes the Jets to go into a mental tailspin and just pick whoever. Then with the #17 pick, the Patriots still make out as well as could possibly be expected as they grab, believed by many to be the top CB in the draft, Christian Gonzales. They would also go on to get a late round steal by picking WR Kayshon Boutte in the 6th. He had been projected to go in the 3rd.

And, as it turned out, that pick the Steelers got for trading their second rate WR worked out extremely well for them as they also got a projected first round CB as they drafted Joey Porter with that pick. Steelers also had another pick that could be considered a steal as they drafted Darnell Washington late in the 3rd.

The lowly Browns got a couple of steals for their o-line, Dawand Jones in the 4th and Luke Wypler in the 6th.

Colts took Adetomiwa Adebawore in the 4th.

The Eagles had a strong draft and got excellent value with steals in the 4th and 7th with Kelee Ringo and Moro Ojomo.

With the top rated Safety, Brian Branch, still out there in the middle of the second round, not even the Lions could miss on that steal.

Antonio Johnson is another DB who slid much further down than expected. Jags stole him in the 5th.

The Bears did manage a few mini steals in the draft. Different GM, same shit style drafting whereas early picks are messed up and some promising value found in mid to later rounds. While the great Bijan Robinson's sidekick went about where expected, both Tyler Scott and Noah Sewell were made available to the Bears about a round later than either was projected. Noah can make a big impact if used correctly. And Tyler adds depth and hope to a suddenly spectacular Bears' WR corps.

spectacular? that's a bit out there

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carter
Dawan Jones is an anomaly; he has all the physical tools but man, he needs some work in the mental arena. He very well could be a 10+ year starter, borderline All-Pro at RT or he could easily be out of the league in 3 years.

That's one of the issues in college football, everyone gets so into the underwear Olympics (combine) and measurables that they overlook the context and nuances of that player, scheme and competition.

We see these physical specimens (I call them the Underwear Champions) but that doesn't always translate to on the field success. In college, you can be the best athlete on the field and dominate due to how water downed the competition is with over 125 D1 teams. Whereas in the NFL, we have only 32 teams, so you are getting the best of the best every single week, so you cannot just dominate on pure athleticism.

Ill pick on Jalen Carter for example...For all the hype around him (and maybe rightfully so but lets see him in the NFL for a season or two) the numbers just don't back him up that much. I mean, for all the hype around a guy that people say is the best player in the draft, the guy only has 83 career tackles in 35 games. Mazi Smith, the other 1st round DT had 88 tackles in 30 games (5 less than Carter).

My point is not that Carter isn't good (and we just don't know yet if he is or isn't) BUT for all the hype surrounding him, the numbers on the field don't add up.

Carter isnt the best target for your good argument. His tape pops but at Georgia it was a race to the ball among a dozen NFLers.

I wouldn't have drafted him either. But more for cancerous qualities. And longevity concerns, injury concerns if he can't take care of himself.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Carter

Carter isnt the best target for your good argument. His tape pops but at Georgia it was a race to the ball among a dozen NFLers.

I wouldn't have drafted him either. But more for cancerous qualities. And longevity concerns, injury concerns if he can't take care of himself.

And that is a fair point (your first sentence). But after watching the Ohio State Game and both Bama games this year (which is the type of talent he will go up against every weekend now) the tape didn't really pop for me. To each their own.

Now as for your second point, 100% with you there, I wouldn't have taken him either because of the character concerns.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah so NFL.com had Shea McClellin as a 5th rounder and our GM Phil Emery had him as a first rounder. The GMs don't always get them right my friend.
Shea had a ridiculous late surge in hype leading up to the draft to where it was reported the Patriots were going to take him in the first. Many places had him as a fringe first round pick.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The idea of this thread is stupid.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Arizona stole Houston 2024 #1 in their draft day trade down......

Expect that pick to be top 5 or better and az able to use that and their own pick on a top qb/wr/te next year

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
OK thx. Thought he was just banned. Anyone know how old? Did not know the guy but read his crap for 10 years now.
There was a thread about this in the last month. Just search for it