Biggs says Daniels is looking for around 10m/yr

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Is he as good as Flowers who makes 10 mill?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What do you do in that situation?

Would not be shocked if those reports are true. He's 24 and has shown some solid play on tape.

He was 100% in my "bring back" list but it seems like paying both our interior guards(who aren't ethat good) 10m+/yr is not wise.

I was telling everyone who would listen that Daniels was going to command top money, but no one believed it.

He's too expensive to bring back, and too inconsistent to make a permanent part of your O-Line.

Poles' specialty is offensive line. Lets put him to the test and see what he can get - the way he's been talking in some of his radio interviews and such, it makes it sound like the only guy he may keep is Jenkins, lol....

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
That's his projection from a couple sites (PFF, Spotrac). I'm torn. He could certainly be worth that money at just 24 and with a good OL coach that takes him to the next level. But can get similar play right now for cheaper, but you also get older and likely don't have the upside that Daniels still gives you.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'd just like to go on record saying that letting Daniels walk is a mistake.

Also, Poles is a big fat phony if he does. He sat up there and said OL is important, build in the trenches, yada yada

And his first action as a GM on the OL will be to let the best guard on the team walk? He was dealt a shit hand with some of these backloaded deals of Pace's but he's gotta figure it out.

:grimmace:

lol Bears gonna bear

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
well-bye.gif

Daniels is barely worth 5M much less 10... hard pass.

Plays too soft and lacks the vocal leadership to play C which is the only position he has any value...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
In all seriousness, do you pay another guard fairly premium money when you've already invested in Whitehair? Seems to me like smart cap management would be allocating big money to one spot and then filling in around that. I.e. have one big money guard, one decent starter. One big money tackle, one decent starter. Or do you pay Daniels and hack it at center justifying spending bigger money on 2 of the 3 interior line spots?
Put Borom at G, T.Jenkins at RT and sign a legit LT.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I'd just like to go on record saying that letting Daniels walk is a mistake.

Also, Poles is a big fat phony if he does. He sat up there and said OL is important, build in the trenches, yada yada

And his first action as a GM on the OL will be to let the best guard on the team walk? He was dealt a shit hand with some of these backloaded deals of Pace's but he's gotta figure it out.

its one thing when your the best guard out of a talented group of OL, now when your the best out of a shitty group, that doesnt necessary mean your good, your just better than the dogshit around you.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I was telling everyone who would listen that Daniels was going to command top money, but no one believed it.

He's too expensive to bring back, and too inconsistent to make a permanent part of your O-Line.

Poles' specialty is offensive line. Lets put him to the test and see what he can get - the way he's been talking in some of his radio interviews and such, it makes it sound like the only guy he may keep is Jenkins, lol....

Don't have pff edge so maybe remy can fill us in on what they expect.

He's going to get paid, I'm sure. Dunno about 10m but it wouldn't shock me when you compare him to every other guard on the market.

You just don't find starting caliber guards in FA very often who are under 25 years old. It's why I wanted to keep him.

If it were me I'd still pay him, backload it a bit, and then cut whitehair after this year.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles is on record saying they'll play the best 5 at OL IIRC. Daniels is for sure a part of that. He'll move some chips around, dump some contracts, and find a way to keep him. Esp. based on fits with the new scheme coming. Just my guess.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles is on record saying they'll play the best 5 at OL IIRC. Daniels is for sure a part of that. He'll move some chips around, dump some contracts, and find a way to keep him. Esp. based on fits with the new scheme coming. Just my guess.

Just to back up your first sentence. Here is a good article discussing Ryan Poles assessment of the Oline. Poles didn’t hold back

brundleflyguy

Liked Posts:
Put Borom at G, T.Jenkins at RT and sign a legit LT.
Everytime I read "sign a legit LT" I think, "That's brilliant! And so easy - why haven't the Bears done that? Oh wait, because finding a legit LT isn't as easy as typing 'sign a legit LT'".

So while I agree with the plan, it's not going to be simple to pull that off.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Daniels is young, a ton of experience and he’s good. Hes had to help cover up absolute shit C and RT play, QBs who never were taught the recognition for blitz, and a Playcaller who had zero comprehension of in game rhythm and used tons of useless pre snap movement.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Daniels is young, a ton of experience and he’s good. Hes had to help cover up absolute shit C and RT play, QBs who never were taught the recognition for blitz, and a Playcaller who had zero comprehension of in game rhythm and used tons of useless pre snap movement.

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to back up your first sentence. Here is a good article discussing Ryan Poles assessment of the Oline. Poles didn’t hold back

Read this yesterday, and thought it was probably worthy of it’s own thread. Lot of discussion on here about the Jenkins penalty after the Vikings game. It’s interesting because Poles sounds pretty meathead and willing to accept penalties to stand up for the quarterback; whereas everything I read about Flus preaches no penalties.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Read this yesterday, and thought it was probably worthy of it’s own thread. Lot of discussion on here about the Jenkins penalty after the Vikings game. It’s interesting because Poles sounds pretty meathead and willing to accept penalties to stand up for the quarterback; whereas everything I read about Flus preaches no penalties.
I believe type of penalties matter and also that Jenkins can do what he did without the last throw back and be exactly what you want in the OL.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Learn how to play Center if you want the big bucks.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Speak for yourself mate. I have been saying this since May of 2021. Although I would say he certainly had a much better year this year but you could probably get a more consistent and better player for cheaper but they will just be older.

There is no way I sign Daniels to 11m a year. He is not that much better than guys making league minimum for us. Just draft more OL next year and sign an actual impact G or T in FA depending on needs. Bears fans get giddy because he is young but young and mediocre is still mediocre in the end.

And yet his grades were still not all that great. Look if he improves then fine but again don't want to pay 7-10 million for a middling G. I think Daniels rep is a lot better on here than the metrics would suggest.

baredown

Liked Posts:

That article is pretty much a nothing-burger wrt Poles actual assessment of the Bears OL personnel. Wow, Poles wants to see his OL getting into shoving contests or helping the QB back up after he hits the ground. OK, fine. Nice sound bite. Feeds the meatballs. However, that’s a team attitude type of thing, not an individual‘s athletic talent or ability-to-play type of thing. But in the NFL, it comes down to talent and playing ability, not helping the QB get off his ass. Poles decision on Daniels will come down to HIS assessment of how good Daniels can become and how that fits with what he & Eberflus want to do with the OL. If he thinks Daniels fits, he’ll pay the guy the market rate. Poles isn’t going to leave himself with another hole to fill just to save $$$.