Biggs this morning...

Brownie

Liked Posts:
The more I think about it, not going OL in Round 1 or 2 might end up being the 2nd biggest Pace mistake he has ever made after Trubisky. This team is not winning with Andy Dalton slinging the ball all over the field. The way the team is currently structured, they need to run first with Monty, control the clock and limit turnovers. The Bears need maulers up front.

I agree man. But even beyond personnel, I always consider the Nagy factor. Meaning this staff has to actually WANT to run the ball and put in a proper blocking scheme.

Our OL, for all its warts, is put in a position to fail schematically as well.

Not cleaning out Pace and Nagy is going to cost one way (personnel wise) or the other (schematically).

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
FA is to sign top players (if you have the cap), to add vets at lower cost to fill in for a year or two, and to maybe pick up a guy who busted somewhere else but you hope he can turn it around for you. In other words, FA is mostly for NOW, with some benefit down the road as well.

The draft, no matter if the GM is on the hot seat or not, is for the FUTURE. Sure, you might get lucky and draft someone who plays well from the start. But that is not the goal, nor is it be expected.

Again...FA is mostly to benefit NOW, and the draft is mostly for the FUTURE. Comprende?

Gross oversimplification.

you draft your first rounder to start right away and to be really good right away. They may not be perfect because they are a rookie but you are counting on their natural talent to make an immediate impact.

in the second round you want someone who will be a solid football player and a starter right away.

The third round on is about the future as you say.

No GM worth a damn drafts a first round pick to hope they contribute sometime in the future. They pick them in the first round to contribute right now.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Gross oversimplification.

you draft your first rounder to start right away and to be really good right away. They may not be perfect because they are a rookie but you are counting on their natural talent to make an immediate impact.

in the second round you want someone who will be a solid football player and a starter right away.

The third round on is about the future as you say.

No GM worth a damn drafts a first round pick to hope they contribute sometime in the future. They pick them in the first round to contribute right now.
1st round picks can contribute ( sometimes). But not a one is drafted expecting them to know everything or be everything. They just have enough natural talent to produce while learning on the job.

But NO TEAM (well, no good team) drafts a player solely for their immediate impact. They draft for the future. It’s not oversimplification. It is fact.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
What would any of you think about signing Richard Sherman to fill the spot left by Fuller? He's obviously lost a step and was never the fastest CB anyway but played with very good coverage skills. He's probably looking to get on a team that's more of a contender but not sure how the contenders see him at this point in his career.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I will be highly disappointed if they draft a CB at 20. You had Kyle Fuller there.

Understandable. Fuller made room for Dalton. So the question really is: Rookie CB + Dalton > Fuller + Foles?

Answer is probably yes. It was a horrible cap casualty and I agree with you.

DB is probably the position where Pace feels most comfortable and has had the best success. He may even wait until 53 for CB. Fuller hurt, I completely agree, but if it did upgrade the QB position then it was the right move.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Walterfootball Mock has QB Jones, WR Waddle and OT Darrisaw available at 20 and Bears taking OT Leatherwood. Don't know how you pass on WR Waddle at 20. Him and Mooney would make a great tandem going forward.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What would any of you think about signing Richard Sherman to fill the spot left by Fuller? He's obviously lost a step and was never the fastest CB anyway but played with very good coverage skills. He's probably looking to get on a team that's more of a contender but not sure how the contenders see him at this point in his career.
Most of Sherman's success came playing Cover 3. That said the 9ers play a fair amount of Cover 4. He was pretty good in 2019. If he can play at that level absolutely.

46plank

Liked Posts:
Understandable. Fuller made room for Dalton. So the question really is: Rookie CB + Dalton > Fuller + Foles?

Answer is probably yes. It was a horrible cap casualty and I agree with you.

DB is probably the position where Pace feels most comfortable and has had the best success. He may even wait until 53 for CB. Fuller hurt, I completely agree, but if it did upgrade the QB position then it was the right move. But did it upgrade the QB position? Time will tell

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Walterfootball Mock has QB Jones, WR Waddle and OT Darrisaw available at 20 and Bears taking OT Leatherwood. Don't know how you pass on WR Waddle at 20. Him and Mooney would make a great tandem going forward.
Walter generally only knows anything because he pesters people at the combine, and that wasn't available this year, so I wouldn't pay much attention. Dude does not have any actual scouting acumen.

Almost no way Waddle is there at 20.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I don't think they'll go cornerback with the first two picks. Kyle Fuller was let go because Jaylon Johnson and Kindle Vildor both showed big promise in 2020
Still think the most likely path is quarterback, and that the Bears are trying to put teams off the scent.

Agreed on Johnson, but is Vildor a starting #2 CB? I saw him as a slot guy, development or depth selection. PFF rating was 48.9 FWIW. Would love to see a 5th rounder be a starting CB, but I feel they will take a shot at CB in the early rounds.

100% agreed on QB, but feel Pace will be opportunistic.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Walter generally only knows anything because he pesters people at the combine, and that wasn't available this year, so I wouldn't pay much attention. Dude does not have any actual scouting acumen.

Almost no way Waddle is there at 20.
Dam that is a shame. I really like Waddle.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Agreed on Johnson, but is Vildor a starting #2 CB? I saw him as a slot guy, development or depth selection. PFF rating was 48.9 FWIW. Would love to see a 5th rounder be a starting CB, but I feel they will take a shot at CB in the early rounds.

100% agreed on QB, but feel Pace will be opportunistic.
I really like Kindle Vildor. He was always in the right place and his physicality stood out, which is pretty novel for a rookie defensive back. He might wash out, but I saw enough to be content with him getting a shot to start the season.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Lines up with what I'm thinking. You're not signing Dalton at $10mil to join Foles at $7 mil just to draft a QB to play over both those guys.

Going WR is fine in Rd. 1 but we need to address the tackle spot in a meaningful way. If not the 1st then definitely the second. Considering how strong the WR field is, it makes sense to grab a tackle in Rd. 1 and then maybe a WR in the 2nd or beyond. Might make more sense to trade down a little bit even.

Speed

Liked Posts:
IDK how muchy Biggy could really know, but it makes sense these bums will be doing everything possible to save their jobs even at the expense of passing on QBs.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
IDK how muchy Biggy could really know, but it makes sense these bums will be doing everything possible to save their jobs even at the expense of passing on QBs.

It honestly is a bad year to draft a qb though

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Honestly I'd put more faith in a @WindyCity mock than Walter. (not a shot a Windy)