Bijon Robinson - can't miss prospect?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
He won't be there with a late first round pick.
No doubt, and he's definitely one of the only few true blue chippers in this class, but that begs the question. How big is the gap between him and Gibbs (who could be had later) if one guy projects similar to Barkley and the other Dalvin Cook with probably even more top end speed and a better receiver how much are you really losing out on in terms of NFL production?

Kind of a cost vs a projective production discussion.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
No doubt, and he's definitely one of the only few true blue chippers in this class, but that begs the question. How big is the gap between him and Gibbs (who could be had later) if one guy projects similar to Barkley and the other Dalvin Cook with probably even more top end speed and a better receiver how much are you really losing out on in terms of NFL production?

Well, first, we have to project what the circumstances are at the time you could draft either, which here is a first round pick. If Poles makes good choices in free agency to solidify our DL against the run, add rushers that can actually get to the QB, and quality upgrades on the OL, drafting runninback at any point is a sensible way to maintain the identity and strength of this team. Would you rather take a stud RB that you know you can get at that moment on a cheap 4 year deal (with 5th year option). Or would you rather pick someone else and hope the next best option is available the next time you are up at the podium, and is a 5th year option invaluable enough that you are okay with not having one?

The offense that Getsy is calling is not going to move away from a run-first identity just because passing becomes better with time and talent acquisitions. Any RB that we do draft could feasibly make a case for OROY, so it isnt out of the question to make sure this team has a good one. I take Robinson, should free agency make a luxury pick like a first round RB viable.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Well, first, we have to project what the circumstances are at the time you could draft either, which here is a first round pick. If Poles makes good choices in free agency to solidify our DL against the run, add rushers that can actually get to the QB, and quality upgrades on the OL, drafting runninback at any point is a sensible way to maintain the identity and strength of this team. Would you rather take a stud RB that you know you can get at that moment on a cheap 4 year deal (with 5th year option). Or would you rather pick someone else and hope the next best option is available the next time you are up at the podium, and is a 5th year option invaluable enough that you are okay with not having one?

The offense that Getsy is calling is not going to move away from a run-first identity just because passing becomes better with time and talent acquisitions. Any RB that we do draft could feasibly make a case for OROY, so it isnt out of the question to make sure this team has a good one. I take Robinson, should free agency make a luxury pick like a first round RB viable.

I agree this will continue to be a run first offense moving forward. Some fans obviously don't want to here it. So does Poles play into that and try to build the most dynamic backfield in football with Fields and a stud runner to help with the RPO/option game that really stresses defenses at the mesh point and help open up the play action game.

Personally I feel the they would have to be in a very specific draft slot where Robinson Is far and away the best player available to even entertain the idea. Similarly to how I feel about them drafting a DB. Cam Smith, Ringo etc.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He played like ass against Bama and TCU which were the only times I watched Texas this year.

However, I do want a RB that can house it from anywhere. Herbert has had some nice runs that should have been TDs but he was caught from behind.

A stud RB would make life miserable for edge defenders that have to make a choice on Fields or an explosive back at the mesh point.

A stud RB opens up the pass game too because the safeties have to creep up in run support.

If free agency goes well and the Bears trade back, I would still have a hard time justifying him as their first round selection. Gibbs and Zach Evans will go later and both would be major upgrades to Herbert or Monty.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I agree this will continue to be a run first offense moving forward. Some fans obviously don't want to here it. So does Poles play into that and try to build the most dynamic backfield in football with Fields and a stud runner to help with the RPO/option game that really stresses defenses at the mesh point and help open up the play action game.

Personally I feel the they would have to be in a very specific draft slot where Robinson Is far and away the best player available to even entertain the idea. Similarly to how I feel about them drafting a DB. Cam Smith, Ringo etc.
I saw your post after I submitted mine. We’re in agreement, the mesh defender would be in a quandary every time Fields attacked him with an explosive back as the other option.

There’s no question it would make the Bear offense more dynamic.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

relax

Bears will draft DL in the first unless it's a slight tradeback, then it's OL imo.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
You’re using one of my all time favorite Bears against me. ?

Find me another Forte and we can spend money then!
Best way to do that would be to draft one.

And if we draft one, he will be on a guaranteed cheap contract for years. The best one in the draft is obviously a first round pick and incredibly talented.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Yeah, I think Gibbs is a good player, don't think the Bears would be interested in the late first, two many other comparable players at more important positions.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
relax

Bears will draft DL in the first unless it's a slight tradeback, then it's OL imo.
For sure. In all likelihood, this team is in position to get Anderson or Carter. It would have to take a really big comp package to move me off of Anderson.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He played like ass against Bama and TCU which were the only times I watched Texas this year.

However, I do want a RB that can house it from anywhere. Herbert has had some nice runs that should have been TDs but he was caught from behind.

A stud RB would make life miserable for edge defenders that have to make a choice on Fields or an explosive back at the mesh point.

A stud RB opens up the pass game too because the safeties have to creep up in run support.

If free agency goes well and the Bears trade back, I would still have a hard time justifying him as their first round selection. Gibbs and Zach Evans will go later and both would be major upgrades to Herbert or Monty.
He didn't play like ass against Alabama, he had 130 total yards and a TD. UT OL was pretty meh this year.

They should have used him way more in the passing game all season.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He didn't play like ass against Alabama, he had 130 total yards and a TD. UT OL was pretty meh this year.

They should have used him way more in the passing game all season.
He didn’t look explosive at all against Bama. Against TCU, he did absolutely nothing and they don’t exactly have a dynamic defense. I kept waiting for him to impact the game in some way. The great ones usually do. He was a complete non factor.

I’m sure he’s a stud. His stats are impressive. I haven’t seen it.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The thread was more about wishful thinking. I just watched his tape and I was like damn I haven't seen tape like that since Zeke. Young man looks absolutely electric. Catches the ball very well for a RB away from his body.

I think he is a can't miss prospect, or as close as anyone can be, for whoever drafts him.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Watch some tape on this young man and its hard to imagine him not being highly productive in the NFL. A complete back with speed, agility and vision. Fun to watch and one of the more talented RB prospects I have seen in quite some time.

He is mocked late first round, and I don't see any way the Bears get there. I don't see him slipping into the 2nd nor do I see the Bears even drafting a RB early.. but I can't think of one player that would make the Bears offense better next season than this guy. Him and Fields in the backfield and you have 2 guys that can house you on any play.
I think that people are torn about Bijan Robinson, because of position value. He is a top tier Star level prospect. He is a bigger, nastier Version of CMC and the love child between the great Eric Metcalf, who finished his career at WR, and Marshal Faulk.

I want him in the first. He is a positionless weapon. I watched him play a lot this season. I also watched some 49ers games and saw how they’ve been utilizing CMC, and it clicked why we need him. Rat jr (Shannahan) puts CMC in the wing/slot and keeps a back in the field. He then exploits mismatches or just direct hands off to CMC. He will give handoffs to the back at the tail position, which we’d have with a legitimate threat with Montgomery and Fields in the backfield.

I think he’s the next evolution of offensive weapon. He’s position agnostic between RB and WR, but get the ball in his hand in space and oh shit! Motherfucker’s out. I’d watch him take a handoff, blink, and be like how the fuck did he just score that! The slowmo replay wouldn’t play his moves justice.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think that people are torn about Bijan Robinson, because of position value.
Great observation. They are easy to replace and have a short shelf life. Zeke and Saquan are the last 2 backs to be top 5 (2016 and 2018) and its hard to justify those selections because while they were electric they both did not produce for long periods of time.

Will we ever see a top 5 selection used on RB again? Perhaps but it won't be often. Seeing where Robinson goes will probably be the new upper limit on where we see RBs drafted.