Bijon Robinson - can't miss prospect?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We should draft Robinson. He'll look great standing next to Jimmy G in the Bears' backfield.

:bearstroll:

Last edited:

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get better pass protection and better receivers and the run game will look a like better. What the Bears have now are serviceable RBs. They do not have serviceable WRs, OL, DL……. Pick up a FA as they can afford it but (as said above) I’m not moving off of Will. So much depends on FA.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Great observation. They are easy to replace and have a short shelf life. Zeke and Saquan are the last 2 backs to be top 5 (2016 and 2018) and its hard to justify those selections because while they were electric they both did not produce for long periods of time.

Will we ever see a top 5 selection used on RB again? Perhaps but it won't be often. Seeing where Robinson goes will probably be the new upper limit on where we see RBs drafted.
I think we are going to see a new value added onto position this year: dimensionality. I think that the more an OC has to account for the player, the more value they have. So, Fields dropping back causes particular stress due to a D must account for the run.

Bijan’s dimensionality is off the charts. He runs a full route tree and has great hands. He’s a better WR than a lot of the WR in this draft! With him being able to line up in the wing and Monty in the tail, with Fields in the backfield, the dimensionality is off the charts. He ruins a D’s first read. When a DC makes the read for subs and sees Bijan and Monty on the field, he has a decision to make: read it as a two rb set and go base or as a single back and go nickel. It’d be nice to see Monty lead block a bit, but I don’t think there’s any tape of him doing it. Anyway, I see Bijan as having a new form of value.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
This makes about as much sense as them signing Barkley.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Bijan receiving ability would be the only reason I'd consider him. He's a not quite as good LT(which is not an insult). Love him as a prospect but, no, not taking a back in the 1st.

2nd round? Maybe. But I'd expect the Bears will look in the round 3-5 range for a running back.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bijan receiving ability would be the only reason I'd consider him. He's a not quite as good LT(which is not an insult). Love him as a prospect but, no, not taking a back in the 1st.

2nd round? Maybe. But I'd expect the Bears will look in the round 3-5 range for a running back.
Chase Brown please. @TL1961

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Well, first, we have to project what the circumstances are at the time you could draft either, which here is a first round pick. If Poles makes good choices in free agency to solidify our DL against the run, add rushers that can actually get to the QB, and quality upgrades on the OL, drafting runninback at any point is a sensible way to maintain the identity and strength of this team. Would you rather take a stud RB that you know you can get at that moment on a cheap 4 year deal (with 5th year option). Or would you rather pick someone else and hope the next best option is available the next time you are up at the podium, and is a 5th year option invaluable enough that you are okay with not having one?

The offense that Getsy is calling is not going to move away from a run-first identity just because passing becomes better with time and talent acquisitions. Any RB that we do draft could feasibly make a case for OROY, so it isnt out of the question to make sure this team has a good one. I take Robinson, should free agency make a luxury pick like a first round RB viable.

Flus/Gets seem to love the RBBC approach. It would be difficult for any RB here to get OPOY

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He is basically the same size as Deebo. will probably test about the same, and is probably a better route runner coming of college, if that puts him in a different light.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Flus/Gets seem to love the RBBC approach. It would be difficult for any RB here to get OPOY

Do they? Montgomery gets like 75% of the snaps, even when his back-up is better than him. I feel like if they had a true #1 back they'd be getting 80% of the snaps easy.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Do they? Montgomery gets like 75% of the snaps, even when his back-up is better than him. I feel like if they had a true #1 back they'd be getting 80% of the snaps easy.
His backup is a better runner than him but Monty is a much better receiver and blocker. If Herbert was even a decent blocker/receiver, it would be different

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
His backup is a better runner than him but Monty is a much better receiver and blocker. If Herbert was even a decent blocker/receiver, it would be different

I just don't know what you're basing your "Flus/Getsy love RBBC" conclusion on. The starter is getting 75% of the snaps and he's not particularly good.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I just don't know what you're basing your "Flus/Getsy love RBBC" conclusion on. The starter is getting 75% of the snaps and he's not particularly good.

Carries for Herbert week 7-10:

12, 16, 7, 10

Carries for Monty:

15, 15, 14, 9

Flus/Gets was really starting to come close to an even carries split as the season went on before Herbert got hurt

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Carries for Herbert week 7-10:

12, 16, 7, 10

Carries for Monty:

15, 15, 14, 9

Flus/Gets was really starting to come close to an even carries split as the season went on before Herbert got hurt

Because the back-up was clearly a better runner and earned more carries. And Montgomery still had 70% of the snaps in two of those games. So basically it took the back-up to out play the starter and earn carries to force Getsy away from what is clearly his preference of having one back play 75% of the time.

Just saying, there is zero evidence that the staff prefers RBBC. Just a mediocre starter and a one dimensional back-up so far. I guess we'll find out this off-season.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Because the back-up was clearly a better runner and earned more carries. And Montgomery still had 70% of the snaps in two of those games. So basically it took the back-up to out play the starter and earn carries to force Getsy away from what is clearly his preference of having one back play 75% of the time.

Just saying, there is zero evidence that the staff prefers RBBC. Just a mediocre starter and a one dimensional back-up so far. I guess we'll find out this off-season.
Yeah I don’t know. Flus made his philosophy known when he was hired and said that he likes committees and complimentary backs and likes to be 3 deep. I believe he even made a thunder and lightning reference talking about it.

Monty played more snaps mostly because Herbert is a really bad blocker and receiver. He came on as a runner and the staff to their credit made sure he got carries. Either way, as long as they have continued success on the ground, I couldn’t care less if it’s by committee or not. Hell, Fields will probably be good for 500+ yards easy on the ground every year. I expect his passing numbers to go up.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
A few hours later, and I still think @mattb78 is an idiot.
Did you even read the thread? I never said the bears should or would draft him. I don't think they will or that it even makes sense. I was just saying I watched the tape and he looks like an awesome prospect. Would love to have him.

Maybe try actually reading the thread.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I think he's a good prospect but unless he's the next Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson, I'll pass on every RB in the 1st round. Only way that changes is if I'm legitimately a good RB away from competing for a title which seems unlikely if I've got every other piece that I couldn't find a quality to good RB somewhere. I don't like taking a RB prior to the 4th round since it seems like every year, there's two or three guys that come out of nowhere that were drafted late or UDFA and do well.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
He’s a great prospect. Someone had said he’s a bigger Dalvin Cook. Can do it all-run, pass block and is a great receiving back.

All depends on FA obviously. If Monty walks Robinson seems like he would be more valuable to the team than a WR who is a reach.

But wouldn’t like a top 5 pick used on him. Late 1st pick after a trade down? Would actually think that would be a good pick. Elite talent at RB are very valuable, especially for a run-first team like the Bears.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
This makes about as much sense as them signing Barkley.

Barkley makes more sense if he hits the market. No draft picks required. Just DA money in an offseason when DUH Bears gotz plenty.