Bijon Robinson - can't miss prospect?

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
But why would they want him if he is not good? And why would the Bears want an old WR for $20mil per year?

I just don't get any of it.
Keenan Allen is a #1 WR. He’s worth a shot. He’s been out this year. If he can perform for us, even on only 20 or so plays a game, he would add a lot.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I sign Montgomey to a two year deal. He is exactly the back that they need with Fields next year. If anyone should be replaced, It should be Herbert.

Is it his supposed great blocking? Or his average receiving? Or mediocre running that is exactly what the Bears need?

I covered this in a thread a few weeks ago but after watching ever single Fields throw and focusing on the running backs I found that the Bears rarely use their backs in pass pro and Montgomery's supposed pass blocking superiority is a myth. He is better than Herbert, but he missed a bunch of blocks. He's an exceedingly mediocre running back in all facets.

Herbert is a vastly superior runner. It's not even close. That alone should earn him a roster spot on his rookie deal. Montgomery is a better receiver but Herbert catches outlet passes too. Which is mostly what the Bears do with their backs, probably because neither one is a mismatch in the passing game.

Bottom line Montgomery does absolutely nothing that isn't replaceable with a mid round pick.

This is way to much talk about running backs. Running back is an irrelevant position.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I don't get the infatuation with Herbert either. Decent back and good value where he was drafted but thats it. Numbers are inflated because all the tough 3rd and short carries go to Monty because Herbert is not great after contact.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I bring up Deebo because Bijan is at least as good a route runner as Deebo was coming out, probably better. Same build. He project to be able to do what Deebo does.

There are several scouts who differ with your opinion on his vis a vie Faulk. Also doesn't matter the point is there are some RBs who are worth a top 10 pick.

Did I say the Bears should take him?

RBs are usually bad investments for a second deal. Drafting an elite one at 8 or 10 is fine.
Drafting a running back at eight or 10 to a team that has holes all over the roster and has a good running game already is a bad investment. That’s nothing against the individual. He is a good prospect. But the Bears are not in a position to be taking that position on the field at that position in the draft. That would be malpractice. For the same reason I don’t want to draft CJ Stroud or Bryce Young at number two. Not that they might not be good players it’s just not what we need.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Why would they let Herbert walk when he is on his rookie deal? Monty, absolutely. But you can replace Montgomery with a mid round pick. Which is most likely what the Bears will do. This is a real solid HB class, lots of guys in rounds 3-5 will contribute, like always.
Everybody is very quick to get rid of Monty, but with nearly every team in the league having a free agent running back, I don’t think it’s gonna be that costly to re-sign him and that way you save a draft pick. You can let them walk and use a draft pick on a running back and save dollars but they have dollars. They need to use the picks wisely.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't get the infatuation with Herbert either. Decent back and good value where he was drafted but thats it. Numbers are inflated because all the tough 3rd and short carries go to Monty because Herbert is not great after contact.
Don’t think anyone is infatuated with him. But he’s a solid back in a rotation.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Everybody is very quick to get rid of Monty, but with nearly every team in the league having a free agent running back, I don’t think it’s gonna be that costly to re-sign him and that way you save a draft pick. You can let them walk and use a draft pick on a running back and save dollars but they have dollars. They need to use the picks wisely.

I just want a better running back personally. I've never understood Bears fans love of Montgomery. He is an average running back at best. Great effort, great heart, very little talent.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Nonsense. Herbert breaks a ton of tackles.

He's the most efficient and highest average yards over expected. You can criticize Herbert's hands or pass blocking but he is light years better running the ball.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Don’t think anyone is infatuated with him. But he’s a solid back in a rotation.

Yeah no one is infatuated with him. I wouldn't give him a second deal either. The point is he's got two years left on his rookie deal and is a great guy to have around. Let Montgomery go, upgrade the position. Let a mid round back handle the duties with Herbert. This is the easiest position to address. Use HBs on rookie deals. There's nothing complicated here.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I just want a better running back personally. I've never understood Bears fans love of Montgomery. He is an average running back at best. Great effort, great heart, very little talent.
I am not in love with our RBs. I just feel we have a dozen more pressing needs.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Is it his supposed great blocking? Or his average receiving? Or mediocre running that is exactly what the Bears need?

I covered this in a thread a few weeks ago but after watching ever single Fields throw and focusing on the running backs I found that the Bears rarely use their backs in pass pro and Montgomery's supposed pass blocking superiority is a myth. He is better than Herbert, but he missed a bunch of blocks. He's an exceedingly mediocre running back in all facets.

Herbert is a vastly superior runner. It's not even close. That alone should earn him a roster spot on his rookie deal. Montgomery is a better receiver but Herbert catches outlet passes too. Which is mostly what the Bears do with their backs, probably because neither one is a mismatch in the passing game.

Bottom line Montgomery does absolutely nothing that isn't replaceable with a mid round pick.

This is way to much talk about running backs. Running back is an irrelevant position.
Running back is an irrelevant position? That’s nonsense. I don’t want them to draft him top 10 either, but end of 1st would be ok.

Fields is a great runner, but durability to your franchise qb is more important than durability to your rb, even an elite one.

Arguing for a serviceable rb in the mid rounds is a legitimate argument. Saying the position isn’t relevant simply isn’t true.

Barring injury-he’s going to have a helluva lot more total yards from scrimmage than any of the 1st round wr prospects, and probably more than a lot of the WRs already in the league.

Or maybe not. Who knows. Jalen Carter is my guy so I agree if they drafted Robinson over Carter or someone like Anderson I would lose my mind.

But Robinson is not just another rb, imo. He has the traits to be very special.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Keenan Allen is a #1 WR. He’s worth a shot. He’s been out this year. If he can perform for us, even on only 20 or so plays a game, he would add a lot.msy
He may have been a couple years ago, but no evidence of that now. Certainly not worth $23mil in 2024, when hopefully the real championship ,window opens, and almost certainly to decline past that.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Running back is an irrelevant position? That’s nonsense. I don’t want them to draft him top 10 either, but end of 1st would be ok.

Fields is a great runner, but durability to your franchise qb is more important than durability to your rb, even an elite one.

Arguing for a serviceable rb in the mid rounds is a legitimate argument. Saying the position isn’t relevant simply isn’t true.

Barring injury-he’s going to have a helluva lot more total yards from scrimmage than any of the 1st round wr prospects, and probably more than a lot of the WRs already in the league.

Or maybe not. Who knows. Jalen Carter is my guy so I agree if they drafted Robinson over Carter or someone like Anderson I would lose my mind.

But Robinson is not just another rb, imo. He has the traits to be very special.
I don't believe in spending a high 1st, or a 1st at all, on a RB. the people that keep clamoring for how "it's a passing league!!111" like the RB position is obsolete and not used or needed anymore is preposterous. there's many teams this year with highly proficient passers that are handing the ball off to RBs a lot and doing it with success. I'm not a proponent for extending a RB, but you would a receiver wouldn't you? the fact Montgomery can catch passes too should probably give him more value and purpose to possibly offer another contract I would think. I'm not trying to incite a firestorm over this, I made my views clear, but anyone willing to debate that? lol

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
He may have been a couple years ago, but no evidence of that now. Certainly not worth $23mil in 2024, when hopefully the real championship ,window opens, and almost certainly to decline past that.
It could be a 1 year deal. The contract he’s on has an out for 2024. We could exercise it or keep him under contract if he could perform.

A healthy Keenan Allen is worth a gamble. We can afford it. Roll them bones on him.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Oh bullshit. Just because he doesnt have home run speed doesnt mean he is of very little talent. How many times do you have to see him gain an extra four to six yards by working through contact to see why fans love him?

For the record, I want to repay Montgomery by giving him a 3 year contract to stay in Chicago. But who knows; the guys calling the shots may want to take the opportunity to get a different set of skills in the backfield as this team continues to grow.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He’s obviously referring to the financial hole they just climbed out of.
Reading comprehension is key. Amazing people are suggesting that drafting Dijon Mustard Robinson in the 1st to get a difference maker

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Reading comprehension is key. Amazing people are suggesting that drafting Dijon Mustard Robinson in the 1st to get a difference maker
Yes. Drafting the best offensive weapon in the first to win games. That would be a difference maker. The issue is mathematical position value group think. Harry Seldon has taken over.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yes. Drafting the best offensive weapon in the first to win games. That would be a difference maker. The issue is mathematical position value group think. Harry Seldon has taken over.
Lmao. More pressing issues than just another overhyped Texas RB.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I mean if he’s the next Marshall Faulk then sure. But not too many of those. ?