Bilal Nichols will go to the Pro Bowl this year

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We'll absolutely miss Goldman. He is a monster with an anchor; he is the man that keeps our ILBs able to run freely to the football. If Nichols and crew can't fill in adequately, roquon and trevathan are going to have a bad year.

This could really shine a light on Roquan's ability to avoid/shed blocks and still get to the ball carrier. He could end up having an average year because of Goldman's absence.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
This could really shine a light on Roquan's ability to avoid/shed blocks and still get to the ball carrier. He could end up having an average year because of Goldman's absence.
If Nichols can anchor relatively well, Smith and Co will be able to play up to his athletic ability. But really, Goldman is not an easy talent to replace. NTs like him aren't exactly a dime a dozen

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Nichols - 313lbs 6'3"... He's gotten bigger!

some guys don’t realize the major negative impact this front line, LBs, and defense are going to feel with the loss of Goldman.

Reminds me of losing of losing Hicks. This defense has little depth.
Yeah, losing Hicks sunk the Bears last year. He was the tipping point to 8-8 rather than 10-6.

I wouldn't say the Bears have little depth. Bears had excellent depth before Goldman opted out. Now, I would say Bears have at least avg depth.

NT
NT - John Jenkins - 327lbs 6'3" is a decent vet, although getting older (31). Last year he was rotational, 16 games, about 2 Tackles a game, 1 Sack, 1 PD. I expect the Bears would love if he can take the loins share of 1st/2nd downs.
Nichols - 313lbs 6'3" Has the strength to be an effective NT, but not the 320 size you want for a 3-4 NT.
Urban - 300lbs 6'7". He's a solid DE, and can likely hold his ground, but I wouldn't expect a playmaker.
Anderson - 297lbs 6'3". Anderson has continued to improve, hasn't been a liability. I could see him taking another step and hold his own.

DL Depth, we also have Roy Robinson-Harris.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doesn't look like he has the weight to be a NT.... More like a 3 technique...

Wow, he's that heavy? 313? Just saw the post above... Bigger than he looks.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Doesn't look like he has the weight to be a NT.... More like a 3 technique...

Wow, he's that heavy? 313? Just saw the post above... Bigger than he looks.
He's gained 7lbs from his draft weight. Looks like all muscle. More like Melton lbs, than fat.

Goldman was 318, with more fat weight.