Bill Belichick's draft record

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
85 draft picks since 2010.

3 pro bowlers

17 players who started 2 seasons or more.

Without brady, he'd be a dumpster fire. Guaranteed.

He makes pace look like a genius.

Damn…

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If belichick came here he would be even less interested than john fox in winning but just as interested in coasting for a paycheck. The Bears are stapler guy for coaches as much as over-the-hill free agents and trades

Last edited:

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey, guys, the HC with the 3rd most wins in NFL history, the most SB wins, most divisional championships and 3 time, 3 time, 3 time NFL coach of the year doesn't have a single clue what he's doing, don't ya know?

What is WRONG with YOU People?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That is your key stat.

Belichick spent most of the last two decades playing this sort of "plug & play" style to building his roster. Other than sticking with Tom Brady, he treats the Pats like a house of cards to be blown apart every season.

It was surprisingly effective. Probably due to having unparalleled consistency at QB combined with a weak division and/or, arguably, a weak conference.

Take away Brady and add in surging young teams like the Chiefs & the Bills and Belichick's strategy did not work so well with the declining Newton & a laundry list of players that opted out of the season before it started.

Herein lies the question - is BB still relevant as a coach if he is agrees to have a GM who can get him good players?

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
If belichick came here he would be even less interested than john fox in winning but just as interested in coasting for a paycheck. The Bears are stapler guy for coaches as much as over-the-hill free agents and trades
I can see your position, but not sure if I agree with it. Belichick's (sp) grandpa and Halas knew each other and I think it went so far as being friends. Belichick is and has always been a student and 'historian' of the game. I believe his heart & soul would be there, IF ever coaching da Bears. I see him wanting to be part of da Bears history. Even to the point of WANTING to bring the 'pride & glory' of da Bears back into prominence. Imo, Belichick would be interested in winning and........honestly.....do you think he needs the paycheck?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
idk call it a john fox hangover

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Hey, guys, the HC with the 3rd most wins in NFL history, the most SB wins, most divisional championships and 3 time, 3 time, 3 time NFL coach of the year doesn't have a single clue what he's doing, don't ya know?

What is WRONG with YOU People?
So his past performance is more important than his current and future performance?

The game is passing him up. Coaches get old. Players get old. That's life.

But go '85 Bears, amirite!?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
So his past performance is more important than his current and future performance?

The game is passing him up. Coaches get old. Players get old. That's life.

But go '85 Bears, amirite!?
Game ain’t passing him up. Every football dynasty eventually falls. His lasted longer than any. Imagine thinking he sucks cause of a few mediocre seasons after dominating the NFL, like no other, for decades.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Brady went down in 2008, Cassel stepped in, they went 11-5 and missed the playoffs on a fluke. yeah, real metric for failure there. what did Cassel do after he left the Patriots? for only the 2nd time in 20 years Belichick is using a quarterback that isn't Brady and hitched to Cam Newton, who even everyone here at CCS has been saying was finished like 4 years ago, gets sick earlier in the season, and hasn't been the same since, and now suddenly Belichick doesn't know what he's doing. GOT IT

FA QBs are as much of a crapshoot as drafting a guy in the 1st round. I thought Newton looked pretty decent pre-plague.

Belichick is probably hanging it up soon anyway. he got his 8 rings. he's the winningest coach ever. so what if his draft record hasn't been that good? also wasn't Brady supposed to be some overrated system quarterback?
He hasn't passed Shula yet and can't remember for sure about Halas.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Oh look, responding to the ignored person again.

doesn’t matter. It happened with Brady. The guy he developed. The guy he put the pieces in place to thrive with. You build that team around Brady. This ain’t that hard.
I doubt it was BB that "developed TB12".

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe the greatest

#calledit

of CCS history ?!?!?

This was also when I was drinking jack for breakfast!
I have you beat by like 7 years

Round And Round: Belichick’s Draft History

That is Bellichek's draft history. And this is from a Boston Globe guy. There are a lot of busts and few Pro Bowlers in there. He has definitely done well in the first round but sorry a 1st Round TE Daniel Graham needs to have a better career than he did, Lawrence Marooney was pretty terrible and is still looking for a job, and Brandon Merriweather had 2 good years and then fell off the face of the earth.

In any event, where are the great offensive skill position players. Until Bellichek hit recently with Gronk, Hernandez and Ridley, his offensive skill position players drafting sucked ass. No really, it did

So yeah I will let you in on a little secret. The dude really is not some genius at the draft. Even the Boston Globe guys don't think so. Bellichek is better at Free Agency than he is at the draft beyond the 1st Round. So yeah people like to think that because the guy is a great coach overall that it means he must be great at everything. Brady covers for a lot of piss poor drafting.

Had an epic 80 page thread debate regarding this back on 2013 with the likes of Spartan, Rory, FirstTimer, etc.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
The point still remains: he WAS great. He IS not great.

He was great with Brady. He has a losing record without. All you can say definitively is that he was great with Brady.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
it isn't an accident he has all those accolades. Drafting is one thing, player development, in game coaching, seemingly ALWAYS having a top-notch staff, a top 10 defense, plug and play skill players (yes Brady helps that A LOT BUT, HE drafted him).

His better days are long gone but he is one of the greats, it isn't even debatable.