Bill Belichick's draft record

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Luckily for Bellichek, the ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl not the draft. Bellichek has a lot of the latter while Pace has none.

And yes selecting the GOAT QB in the 6th round covers up a lot of fuck ups elsewhere. Precisely why Pace should be fired as he fucked up at the one spot that matters more than anything else.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nah, he drafted the greatest QB of all time. Without brady, he probably doesn't win a ring.

His drafting was pretty damn good his first decade there, since, it's been miserable and a big reason for their decline.

This is like saying without a penis you wouldnt be a man. At the end of the day Bellichek was in fact the GM that found the GOAT in the 6th round. He found him after like 20 QBs were taken and he developed him into the GOAT.

By contrast, Pace had the choice of the first QB in the draft and of the 3 under consideration magically picked the one fuck up.

That is why Bellichek is in the convo as the GOAT while Pace is in the convo of getting fired. Pace had a 66.67% chance of not fucking up and still managed to do so.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Luckily for Bellichek, the ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl not the draft. Bellichek has a lot of the latter while Pace has none.

And yes selecting the GOAT QB in the 6th round covers up a lot of fuck ups elsewhere. Precisely why Pace should be fired as he fucked up at the one spot that matters more than anything else.
So fire everyone that past on brady 5-6+ times ?!?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The stats are misleading largely because the Pats, being a really unique dynasty, are typically picking outside of the top 20 every draft.

Looking back at it you gotta hand it to Bill. He's accumulated a lot of picks via trade knowing his best chance of draft success is quantity over quality.

Anyway fuck them. I'm jealous and I'm tired of pretending I'm not.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
This is like saying without a penis you wouldnt be a man. At the end of the day Bellichek was in fact the GM that found the GOAT in the 6th round. He found him after like 20 QBs were taken and he developed him into the GOAT.

By contrast, Pace had the choice of the first QB in the draft and of the 3 under consideration magically picked the one fuck up.

That is why Bellichek is in the convo as the GOAT while Pace is in the convo of getting fired. Pace had a 66.67% chance of not fucking up and still managed to do so.
33.34% by your math

mecha

Liked Posts:
it's Belichick. like a chick.

also the New England Patriots didn't draft Brady with the intention of winning a Super Bowl. he wasn't even anointed the guy in his 2nd year, it took the #1 guy going down for that plan to be executed. I already stated he was the #4 quarterback when he was drafted, he demonstrated he was worthy of #2 himself. Brady did that, he wasn't chosen to do that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So fire everyone that past on brady 5-6+ times ?!?

If those guys never managed to find a QB or have multiple playoff appearences in 5 years then yes. A lot of them have in fact already been fired as few teams have a GM or coach that has been around for 20 years.

Fuck ups have consequences.

33.34% by your math

No 66.67% chance of not fucking up. He had two out of 3 chances to not fuck up if he took Watson or Mahomes.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
The stats are misleading largely because the Pats, being a really unique dynasty, are typically picking outside of the top 20 every draft.

Looking back at it you gotta hand it to Bill. He's accumulated a lot of picks via trade knowing his best chance of draft success is quantity over quality.

Anyway fuck them. I'm jealous and I'm tired of pretending I'm not.
No they're not you have a higher chance of getting a pro bowler/all pro or starter with quantity over higher draft choice in just the first round because you still gain high draft order choices in later rounds. Especially if you're good at evaluating talent.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
If those guys never managed to find a QB or have multiple playoff appearences in 5 years then yes. A lot of them have in fact already been fired as few teams have a GM or coach that has been around for 20 years.

Fuck ups have consequences.
Ofc they have because most gms and coaches don't last

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
it's Belichick. like a chick.

also the New England Patriots didn't draft Brady with the intention of winning a Super Bowl. he wasn't even anointed the guy in his 2nd year, it took the #1 guy going down for that plan to be executed. I already stated he was the #4 quarterback when he was drafted, he demonstrated he was worthy of #2 himself. Brady did that, he wasn't chosen to do that.

It doesnt matter why he was drafted. It matters that he was wildly successful and credit goes to who drafted him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ofc they have because most gms and coaches don't last

They dont last because unlike BB they dont have 20 years of sustained success. Precisely the point.

Robert Kraft doesnt give a shit whether that sustained success was due to one lucky 6th round pick, smart moves in FA or good draft picks. He just cares about the fact BB was successful in bringing titles to New England.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank you.

And, once again, without Tom Brady keeping that team afloat the last decade they would not have been as good as they were. They got a TON of FA signings due to him. Yea, BB lucked into drafting him with a 6th round pick, but he hasn't done shit since drafting gronk in 2010.

Imagine if the bears had a draft record that bad for the last decade. People on here would be livid.
Who picked Tom Brady? Was it BB? And being a GM is more than just drafting.. you've seen first hand all of the horrible free agent contracts Pace is handing out. I don't want to waste my day looking up his draft picks, but you're saying he's terrible yet in the 2016 draft 7 of his 9 picks are still in the NFL. 2017 (4) they're all still in the NFL. 2018 (9) all still in the NFL. If anything his drafting has gotten better.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
They dont last because unlike BB they dont have 20 years of sustained success. Precisely the point.

Robert Kraft doesnt give a shit whether that sustained success was due to one lucky 6th round pick, smart moves in FA or good draft picks. He just cares about the fact BB was successful in bringing titles to New England.
I don't think anyone disputes this. You've only got 32 teams 1 Superbowl 1 winner each year. A collection of almost 1000 athletes each year.

But I guarantee you no one will bring up BB time on the browns.Nooooo that would kill the true narrative from the trolls and retards on this board.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Who picked Tom Brady? Was it BB? And being a GM is more than just drafting.. you've seen first hand all of the horrible free agent contracts Pace is handing out. I don't want to waste my day looking up his draft picks, but you're saying he's terrible yet in the 2016 draft 7 of his 9 picks are still in the NFL. 2017 (4) they're all still in the NFL. 2018 (9) all still in the NFL. If anything his drafting has gotten better.
He doesn't draft bad but I think it's the whole quantity over quality or value of a draft pick. Especially because they typically sit in the 20s and 30s each year. I'd only say this years FA signings/resigning were horrible and skrine signing even though i think he was the best available at the time...

mecha

Liked Posts:
*Orlando
You should know where the important game of the year is played according to OP.
:ROFLMAO: :what::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think they meant... the Pro Bowl. I thought we all decided the Pro Bowl doesn't matter?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The OP's perspective on draft hits cannot be ignored.

I'd like to see an apples to apples comparison of FREE AGENTS brought in who were successful vs. flops.
If there was a way to counterweight those FA hits/misses based on $$$ spent +/- (above or below) market average, THEN we'd have something to really talk about.

I'm in a rare camp who thinks Pace drafts > average (first round sucks overall yes). His contracts have NOT been great however. He seems to overspend on his CONVICTION guys, while dilly dallying around with extensions sometimes. ARob is just the latest. Note that he overspends on re-signing his draft hits too (Jackson the latest). Leno & Massie were some of the worst, although nobody could've seen their dropoff coming this harshly. Overspent on Glennon, J Graham, Patterson, Mike Davis even. Conviction is great & all, but damn - it is hurting the cap & flexibility.

mecha

Liked Posts:
another thing of note about the Patriots, they seem to know when to punt on guys when they have the most value. if I recall they typically amass a lot of compensatory picks each year. that's how they survive despite picking much later in the rounds due to their records.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone disputes this. You've only got 32 teams 1 Superbowl 1 winner each year. A collection of almost 1000 athletes each year.

But I guarantee you no one will bring up BB time on the browns.Nooooo that would kill the true narrative from the trolls and retards on this board.

He sucked with the Browns but what is your point? Let's include the Browns. That means he has 6 Super Bowls in like 25 years instead of 6 Super Bowls in 20 years. Ok, so which coach has down better than him in the NFL over a 25 year period?