Bill Lazor Interview - Wed. Sept. 8th

dignan

Liked Posts:
Lazor is legit as OC. I still can't believe Nagy prioritized his pride over the team when he took back play-calling duties late last year.

I guess he's staying true to his 'Be You' mantra but it's too bad he's a stubborn egomaniac.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Some quotes:

The starting offense was not on the field during the preseason, what is your biggest curiosity going into game 1?

"There is a lot I need to see for sure. I think when you look at some of the things we committed to improving from last year -- I'll put 3rd downs at the top of the list -- and I'd say after the preseason, on game field, we can't say that we've improved that yet. I think we feel better at what we've done on the practice field, but we're gonna have to make it count now. So that's probably at the top of the list."

When you look at last year what do you say was the deficiency that was preventing 3rd downs, what did you work on or what needs to be done?

"Well I think when you ranked as low as we were there are multiple things...from protection to people to scheme..all of it really. It's hard to be ranked 31st and have a lot of highlights."

-----------------

Someone then asked another follow up on the subject asking Lazor about needing to do better on 1st and 2nd downs specifically, and BL mentioned [paraphrasing] that many of the 3rd downs were manageable yardage wise, but they still couldn't excel in those areas. "We've spent HOURS on it (laughing). I really don't wanna revisit it.. I'm looking fwd to next week, we'll have some new stuff to talk about.."

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wish he’d just call plays from the both like an oc should.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Matt Nagy needs Bill "Major" Lazor to Lean On

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we see legit play action passing we know who is in charge...if not, same old same old....

I recall seeing Lazor calling plays when Fields was putting up a steady diet of play action passes in preseason

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I was really impressed with Lazor last year when he took the shortcomings of Trubisky and a page out of the Sean McVey's book and went to a hard playaction bootleg scheme. It was night and day seeing the Bears run and playaction out of a 2 TE tight set and roll out the QB versus trying to throw the ball in a shotgun spread scheme.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was really impressed with Lazor last year when he took the shortcomings of Trubisky and a page out of the Sean McVey's book and went to a hard playaction bootleg scheme. It was night and day seeing the Bears run and playaction out of a 2 TE tight set and roll out the QB versus trying to throw the ball in a shotgun spread scheme.
he was able to take away the overthinking it process......Neither Foles nor Trubisky fit into whatever Nagy was doing.....Lazor simplified it and just put the athletics back into the game. It was nice to see a coach call a game based on the strengths of his players.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Lazor simplified it and just put the athletics back into the game. It was nice to see a coach call a game based on the strengths of his players.
Agreed 100%. And then people are like "his system failed when we playged good teams". The guy basically had one week to install a system and the offense improved. Imagine if he had an entire offseason.

The playaction bootleg was something I never saw when Nagy called plays and it worked very well for Trubisky, cutting the field in half and giving him an easy run option.

There is alot of hate on the offensive talent (mostly the line) but I think with a real head coach the offense would be significantly improved.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Agreed 100%. And then people are like "his system failed when we playged good teams". The guy basically had one week to install a system and the offense improved. Imagine if he had an entire offseason.

The playaction bootleg was something I never saw when Nagy called plays and it worked very well for Trubisky, cutting the field in half and giving him an easy run option.

There is alot of hate on the offensive talent (mostly the line) but I think with a real head coach the offense would be significantly improved.
He didn’t install a new system. He did simplify things so Trubisky could run it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He didn’t install a new system. He did simplify things so Trubisky could run it.
You may not call it a different system, the play calling was significantly different

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

But it did fail when we played good teams. The Lazor offense was pretty much the Dowell Loggains offense. It was football for dummies. He just was running it with better weapons than Loggains had in 2017. We still sucked against better teams because better teams are going to take the Fisher Price offense away from a Mental Midget like Trubisky.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But it did fail when we played good teams. The Lazor offense was pretty much the Dowell Loggains offense. It was football for dummies. He just was running it with better weapons than Loggains had in 2017. We still sucked against better teams because better teams are going to take the Fisher Price offense away from a Mental Midget like Trubisky.
Oh yeah, it was a major crayon offense but as you mentioned it was the only thing Mitch could muster. I think Fields needs more than that but not the non flowing offense Nagy calls