Bills Player tonight

Da Bears Oregon

Liked Posts:
Not good. Unfortunately this is the 2nd time in my life that I’ve witnessed this watching the NFL. Bears-Lions back when I watched games with my father. So sad.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nine minutes of CPR apparently. If this is true then this is a horribly bad thing. It means he was in cardiac arrest and nine minutes is quite a while. I sure hope the CPR was of good quality and was started quickly.

It sounds like they got ROSC (Return of Spontaneous Circulation) which is a good thing. What I fear is that the length of CPR was long enough that there could be secondary brain damage from anoxia. If the CPR was good then this is minimalized. My concern is what caused the cardiac event in the first place. I saw he stood up and then just dropped. If I had to guess this was the moment he went into Cardiac arrest. I give the paramedics and medical pros some credit. They recognized it immediately.

Lets hope this is an event that he comes out of and then gets evaluated for the cause.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The game needs to be called off.
Agreed. I don't know how they do it though with this being MNF and it will throw off the Week 18 schedule. Going to be really interesting to see what they do but they need to call off this game.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They’re still playing massMutual and vrbo commercials, tells you all you need to know

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed. I don't know how they do it though with this being MNF and it will throw off the Week 18 schedule. Going to be really interesting to see what they do but they need to call off this game.
It would be rough for sure but they probably could figure something out. The Bills players are not going to be in the right mind to play football and if it comes down to it I suspect the Bills would just forfeit the game. It would be horrible and probably would cost them possibly home field through the playoffs but even if they went back out there it is likely they would lose anyway.

I can't imagine them actually focusing on the game after something like this.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It would be rough for sure but they probably could figure something out. The Bills players are not going to be in the right mind to play football and if it comes down to it I suspect the Bills would just forfeit the game. It would be horrible and probably would cost them possibly home field through the playoffs but even if they went back out there it is likely they would lose anyway.

The last time someone died during a sports (entertainment)event was Owen Hart back in 99. And Vince kept the PPV going. Asshat

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

I think they do something mid week and then move everything back a day or two in week 18.

LetsGo34

Liked Posts:
Nine minutes of CPR apparently. If this is true then this is a horribly bad thing. It means he was in cardiac arrest and nine minutes is quite a while. I sure hope the CPR was of good quality and was started quickly.

It sounds like they got ROSC (Return of Spontaneous Circulation) which is a good thing. What I fear is that the length of CPR was long enough that there could be secondary brain damage from anoxia. If the CPR was good then this is minimalized. My concern is what caused the cardiac event in the first place. I saw he stood up and then just dropped. If I had to guess this was the moment he went into Cardiac arrest. I give the paramedics and medical pros some credit. They recognized it immediately.

Lets hope this is an event that he comes out of and then gets evaluated for the cause.
Looked like commotio cordis

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just saw that he went by ambulance to the hospital....hopefully, a sign that's he's still alive.

Good Lord....send everyone home. It's just a fucking game....this kid's life may be hanging by a thread.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He has been intubated and is now in critical care

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Looked like commotio cordis
Possible. I'd have to see the review and where he got hit. For those that don't know what this is, think of those times when a pitcher takes a line drive to the chest and goes into cardiac arrest.

I didn't really see what was happening on the field. Did they defibrillate him? If he got stunned into something like Ventricular Fibrillation or Ventricular Tachycardia the first thing they should have done, after starting CPR, was hooking up a defibrillator or an AED and shocked him. You give some medications too, like Epinephrine and Amiodarone (or Lidocaine if you're old school) but the shock should be the first if he is in a lethal arrythmia.

Just completely postulating here but if they did CPR and didn't defibrillate it could be because the CPR did knock him back into a perfusing rhythm.

There are about a half a dozen different scenarios that could lead to this, to include aortic rupture, high level spinal transection causing a massive drop in blood pressure causing circulatory arrest (AKA Pulseless Electrical Activity) which would result in CPR until medications could be given to bring his bp back. Some kind of Vagus Nerve response causing his heartrate to drop down to next to nothing.

I really don't know at this point. Being a Cardiac and Cardiothoracic Nurse for over 20 years I have seen scenarios like this and there have been multiple reasons. Lets hope they keep him stable enough to get to a hospital where the experts can diagnose and I pray correct what happened to this young man.

And I am glad they suspended the game for now. No one wants to play after something like this.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He has been intubated and is now in critical care
Oh yeah. This is pretty much standard. If he wasn't spontaneously breathing then they were going to tube him. A bag valve mask ventilation method is fine for very short term but he needs intubated and ventilated until they are able to (I pray) get him to the point where he is breathing on his own and then they can pull the Oral Endotracheal Tube.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The game will not be resumed tonight

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not good. Unfortunately this is the 2nd time in my life that I’ve witnessed this watching the NFL. Bears-Lions back when I watched games with my father. So sad.
I remember that Bear's game. I remember Dick Butkus pointing to the Lion's receiver down on the field and motioning to the Lion's sideline that he needed help.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That wasn’t the same

mecha

Liked Posts:
my dad was out for 10 minutes after a stroke/cardiac episode. it nuked his vision and motor skills. he was intubated and wanted to tell me something and there was no way to do so.

I was at work, no football there, so I missed this whole thing. hope Hamlin recovers. :(

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
my dad was out for 10 minutes after a stroke/cardiac episode. it nuked his vision and motor skills. he was intubated and wanted to tell me something and there was no way to do so.

I was at work, no football there, so I missed this whole thing. hope Hamlin recovers. :(
Sorry for your loss man