Bird thread

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The cat thread is cool but got shifted to birds.

Who has news about cool birds around?

I have a seed block cage that I hang from the gutter with bungee cord, plastic zip tie, and small chain.
It sits underneath a bit but the goddamn greedy squirrels still get at it and eat everything.
I'm gonna try to hang it from fishing line instead.
They might not be able to grab it and get to feeder cage but I'm concerned that they might just chew the line and drop the whole deal onto patio.

Maggie Raptor could easily kill any squirrels near bird feeder but refuses to do so. She's always too busy playing, practicing, or watching volleyball.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bro, I still have no birds. There is two birdhouses, a feeder and and bird bath. It doesn't help that my development is new (5 years or less) so trees are limited, but wtf guys, i built a nice sanctuary. Did I but the wrong feed or something? I mainly have Robins hanging around my fence.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Bro, I still have no birds. There is two birdhouses, a feeder and and bird bath. It doesn't help that my development is new (5 years or less) so trees are limited, but wtf guys, i built a nice sanctuary. Did I but the wrong feed or something? I mainly have Robins hanging around my fence.

I think the weather was weird this year. You should have birds there soon.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A bird bath has always brought in a lot of birds around here. I even used to fill a clear plastic dish that are meant to put under a potted plant. All kinds of critters drank from it, even deer. But the birds were there all the time.
Give it time. Once they find your goods, they'll bring friends.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That sux!
Maybe you could whistle bird calls now and then. Perhaps birds out of sight of your bird oasis would hear you and be curious.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As stated in the car thread, my bird feeder test failed in the face of the insurmountable army of red-winged blackbirds that bully most others away.

However, a few weekends ago, while camping in western Illinois, I was treated to a long observation at relatively close distance, of my favorite of all birds: a Baltimore Oriole...he was sublime.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As stated in the car thread, my bird feeder test failed in the face of the insurmountable army of red-winged blackbirds that bully most others away.

However, a few weekends ago, while camping in western Illinois, I was treated to a long observation at relatively close distance, of my favorite of all birds: a Baltimore Oriole...he was sublime.
I had never seen an oriole. Then one day my friend said she saw one at her bird feeder. The next day I saw one stop for a drink at my hummingbird feeder for a second. Haven't seen another since.
The fishing line hasn't worked. Squirrel was already on seed block. I didn't see how it did but I suspect it jumped from an old patio chair that is too nearby. I put a few buckets of water hoping the next one I chase off or fails its attempt ends up in the drink.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm gonna see how this squirrel thing goes but I might get a tall shepherds hook to hang seed block from. Will likely put it across yard from house near bushes where birds live. Probably get a squirrel baffle too. The hook I'm eyeing comes in 2 pack. So cart will probably include another seed block and cage. I can give extra set to a friend or something.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am big fan of squirrels.

Nice crunch.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My uncle has a feeder for them, and it takes a full jar of Welch's jelly placed in it upside down. The oriole's are constantly eating from it, but he does live adjacent to a state forest. They are beautiful birds.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm gonna see how this squirrel thing goes but I might get a tall shepherds hook to hang seed block from. Will likely put it across yard from house near bushes where birds live. Probably get a squirrel baffle too. The hook I'm eyeing comes in 2 pack. So cart will probably include another seed block and cage. I can give extra set to a friend or something.
We like to spray our shepherd's hook with Pam and watch the squirrels struggle to get up, but inevitably slide back down. Great fun! You could also get one of the spinning bird feeders that whip squirrels off. Youtube is blocked where I am currently or else I would post one, but those videos are hilarious.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That sux!
Maybe you could whistle bird calls now and then. Perhaps birds out of sight of your bird oasis would hear you and be curious.
There are bird feathers in the bird bath! So some must have found it. Still don't have any squatters

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How often do you change the water? We found that we get many more when changed the water frequently. Which is annoying. So we ran a drip irrigation tube from our sprinkler system to the bird bath, so it gets fresh water 3 times a week when the sprinklers turn on. It works really well and doesn't require daily checking.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Better brush up on your bird law!!

4CBE2B69-BB51-41D9-A250-2FE35618157D.jpeg

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So far I've only seen the one squirrel on the seed block. Not since I moved the patio chair. I think I'm getting the 2 hook pack anyway. I'll put one by the bushes and probably get birds that are afraid to go close to the house. I'm gonna give the other one to stoner nerd chick. Asshole landlord tore out her bushes and she misses her birds that moved away.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Morning doves have always loved my place and then the wife started feeding them, so it became an army of doves on my back porch the last few years.

This spring was strangely quiet. No army of birds every morning looking for sunflower seeds. Then we notice a single dove has taken over one of these decorative bird nests my wife put up. She got a great shot of momma and baby.

20210518_130151~2.jpg

Baby flew off on it's own a few days ago and we were all....

tenor.gif

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get alot of birds out here in the Oregon countryside. Quail, 3 kinds of dove, several finch varieties, etc. Probably seen 40-50 different types in the year I've been here. Some day I'll nerd out and write them all down.

I have a huge grey squirrel on the hit list....

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get alot of birds out here in the Oregon countryside. Quail, 3 kinds of dove, several finch varieties, etc. Probably seen 40-50 different types in the year I've been here. Some day I'll nerd out and write them all down.

I have a huge grey squirrel on the hit list....
We could come to an arrangement....