Blackhawks 2022-23 SEASON THREAD

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I’m just gonna say watching the Sabres Dahlin and Power is a fucking video game glitch. These two are unfair.

It’s not gonna happen, but if Kane were to go there they would be a Cup contender. I said it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
@Tater

Let’s go Hawks. Go as far as you can. The rebuild can wait.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They may have already gone as far as they can.

It appears Mazrek or Stallock may be hard to tank with.

I liked Stalock in minny and he carried them at times while they rebuilt a juggaurnaut.

He might be the real deal, and IMO, when healthy, Mazrek is much like Kuemper in that when he is healthy he is capable of very hot streaks.

A hot streak capable goalie in a hot streak is the biggest metric there is in hockey.

I assume he will be back soon. Soderblum probably makes the playoffs a dark horse, as a low tier G2, but if Stalock plays 35 games proper tanking may be difficult?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Anyone watching this? Just read an article in trib about it but haven't started yet.

Edit: I guess it doesn't start till tonight?

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have a few games to still watch to get all caught up. Hawks always seem to be on when the boys have a game or practice.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Anyone watching this? Just read an article in trib about it but haven't started yet.

Bit of puff here but still really worth watching and I encourage everyone to do so. Aboot 10 minutes.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
This is good. Which is bad. Which is good? Or is this bad. Damn rollercoaster of emotions this year.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure about Murphy, but I'll say this about the players: they don't give a shit about the rebuild, and I can't necessarily blame them. If anything, that's only fueled them to prove the critics wrong and that is why they are exceeding expectations right now. Just because the GM wants to tank -- which he certainly does -- doesn't mean the players and the coaches will oblige, even if we the fans want them to.

The good thing -- for those who want a rebuild -- is that, if this trend continues, Davidson will surely start shipping guys out the minute he has the slightest justification (i.e. a 3-game losing streak, etc.). He's shown to be ruthless in that respect. Davidson still can control the fate of this team, regardless of if the players/coaches are on board with him or not.
As I said elsewhere, other teams just need to make book on the 'hawks and the losses should come. Back in 2010 Colorado started off 9-1-2 after their first 12 and then plummeted to 28th out of 30 teams. We have been getting decent goaltending, but ultimately we just don't have the core of talent. Who are the gamebreakers--as in night-in/night/out guys who could carry the other 19 players' carcasses? Kane? Sure. Toews? I wouldn't put it past him. Jones? Maybe. Who else? No one. Some guys might be overextending themselves but chances are most guys will regress to their mean.

I don't think the coaches or players would ever actively tank and throw games, but as-constructed the critical mass of talent just isn't there. On any of the cup-winning teams, where would these players as they are now slot? Not high at all--outside of K/T/SJ.

Plus, as you mention, yes, Davidson can start shipping out guys who look to be too good, but looking at it: The 'hawks are 31st out of 32 right now in SF/G (25.4), 24th in GF/G (2.83), 26th in SA/G (34.3), and 16th in GA/G (3.17). Plus, we add in the fact that Toews is shooting at over 30% right now (which *will* come back down), everything indicates that the 'hawks should normalize to at least bottom-third of the league, if not bottom-5.

The net positive though is that LR has a good system in place. We might not have the critical mass to execute, but it's *a* system and it's not 19 players plus a goalie playing individually like JC's regime. This is something for guys like Reichel, Korch, and Nazar to build towards.

Granada

Liked Posts:

I haven't seen one of these in a while, but one thing I found curious: I don't remember ever seeing one of these videos where, after the coach speaks, there is zero reaction from the room. Now, before someone bites my head off -- I'm not saying this is indicative that the team doesn't respect Richardson, I'm a big fan of his -- I'm simply saying, that did kind of surprised me. Even after they won and he spoke, they cut away pretty quick afterward, but it was crickets. Not an indictment, just an observation.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Absolutely no way the Cubs should not have lost 100 games with the roster they had.....didn't lose 100, didn't even lose 90 thanks to a masterful job done by David Ross.

What does this have to do with the Blackhawks?

I'm worried Richardson does the same good job as Ross.....big important talent laden draft coming....don't need all the meaningless points they are gathering. The damn Blues have lost 8 straight, why can't the Hawks do this?

Granada

Liked Posts:
Absolutely no way the Cubs should not have lost 100 games with the roster they had.....didn't lose 100, didn't even lose 90 thanks to a masterful job done by David Ross.

What does this have to do with the Blackhawks?

I'm worried Richardson does the same good job as Ross.....big important talent laden draft coming....don't need all the meaningless points they are gathering. The damn Blues have lost 8 straight, why can't the Hawks do this?

I am absolutely loving the Blues' woes this year. I think O'Reilly only has one point all year, lol.

It's still early. I still believe this team can go on a prolonged losing streak. It isn't out of the ordinary for underwhelming teams to come out of the gate hot, but when teams around the league start finding their groove, that's when the wheels fall off and teams are revealed for who they are.

You'll probably get upset with me for saying this, but I'm just being honest. I am on board with a rebuild. But I must say, it's hard to root against the Hawks for me; I thought it would be easy this year, but it isn't. I'm at the point now where I'm just going to see where the chips happen to fall. I'll be moderately disappointed if they don't tank, but it won't be the absolute end of the world for me. I like to think we have a competent GM now, so even if they overachieve this year, Davidson will still complete the rebuild in a timely manner, even if it isn't as soon as we would like.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'm sure you all have seen the Bruins fuckup going around with Michael Mitchell, just wanted to put this out there that I saw. It's pretty heartbreaking that any kid has to take any of this kind of crap.

Separately though... holy shit Akim Aliu is the HDA Chair?
That's disgusting.

They were talking about this on Spittin Chiclets the other day. Whitney (I think, or maybe it was Bissonette) implied that there may be more to the story. Such as, the urinal cake wasn't specifically meant for this kid; it was meant for a random person and it just so happened to be given to him somehow -- which sounds like bull shit.

Either way, I don't feel sorry for Mitchell. The guys on the podcast did have some sympathy for him, with the rationale that a mistake he made when he was 14 years old has essentially ruined his life forever.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
That's disgusting.

They were talking about this on Spittin Chiclets the other day. Whitney (I think, or maybe it was Bissonette) implied that there may be more to the story. Such as, the urinal cake wasn't specifically meant for this kid; it was meant for a random person and it just so happened to be given to him somehow -- which sounds like bull shit.

Either way, I don't feel sorry for Mitchell. The guys on the podcast did have some sympathy for him, with the rationale that a mistake he made when he was 14 years old has essentially ruined his life forever.
I do not in anyway want to make it seem like I condone anything or feel bad for him at all. However typically I agree with not holding things over a kid for the rest of his life, BUT that's if something happens intervention wise to correct the issue and set him straight at that time. There is zero proof he was ever held accountable or stopped being a complete douche untill he was called out and dropped. Then all of a sudden it was I was young and have changed? Bullshit, those are psychological issues that don't go away without counseling. Or something happening to give them a come to Jesus. I'm surprised that people haven't come out of the woodwork with more stories and expect them too before this is said and done.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I do not in anyway want to make it seem like I condone anything or feel bad for him at all. However typically I agree with not holding things over a kid for the rest of his life, BUT that's if something happens intervention wise to correct the issue and set him straight at that time. There is zero proof he was ever held accountable or stopped being a complete douche untill he was called out and dropped. Then all of a sudden it was I was young and have changed? Bullshit, those are psychological issues that don't go away without counseling. Or something happening to give them a come to Jesus. I'm surprised that people haven't come out of the woodwork with more stories and expect them too before this is said and done.
Agreed, plus Mitchell only apologized to the kid in court. That doesn't really show true remorse.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Late late late hockey tonight!
Silly west coast people don't even know what time it is.