Blackhawks 2022-23 SEASON THREAD

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Holy shit. A low for me. Was so focused on other games I just turned on the post game and realized there was a game tonight

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
I wish Kane still had Strome and Dabrincat to work with... But they barely got to play all together anyway. It's going to be sad if Kane only ends up with like 12 goals this year. He is due for a hot streak though with a lot of pretty good chances.

He will probably score like crazy if he gets traded.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Meh, another zero point effort. Taking care of the tankin' biz, I love it!

Also, FFS, have some dignity #19 and #88, GOAT legend status has been permanently attained, just GTFO and leave for a competitor.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:

It's embarrassing.

I'm not in the camp that two legends who carried this franchise on their back and won three cups need to go thru this garbage. If Blowman wasn't an idiot, I know, that is hard to comprehend, this team could have retooled every year until TnK contracts were up. This is a disgrace.

And no, Michkov isn't a guy who comes around every five years. The kid has been compared to Ovechkin and his floor is Bure. Those types of players don't come around once every five fucking years, my god.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I’m not sold on this regime. Outside of Korchinski, the other 1st round picks seemed like reaches.
Rinzel most definitely was. He would have been there in the second round.
I'm not too keen on taking a draft and stash in the first round, and even on draft day they were saying that's what this kid was. That's not a good look when last draft was around 40 players deep in future NHL'ers.

It's still too early to judge tho. Since time is all fans have, here's hoping they progress in development.

Now, if you look at KD's moves, the Hagel trade is turning into a bust considering Hagel has been playing on three different lines on the Bolts and has stepped in on the first line. Raydish or whatever the fuck his name is is producing at a 25 goals pace. That's not bad, but he's not the type of player KD has preached on wanting to aquire. He's not fast, he isn't overly physical for a guy his size when the other guy the Hawks got in that trade almost has as many hits in half the amount of games, and that draft pick is slowly dropping into the later 20's, which is still a good pick in the draft coming up but it remains to be seen what they do with it.

KD traded an ultimate grinder type in Hagel, who is 24, and an elite wing in Cat who's...24, and they're rebuilding?

The Hawks have three great defensive prospects in Korchinski, Del Mastro, and Allan. The announcers we're gushing over them in the world's and saying this is the future of the Hawks defense. Del Mastro is the best defensive defenseman prospect in some time and Korch and Allan are a pair in Seattle.

I just don't think this rebuild had to break this team of two solid, young players when the goalies in this organization blow

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Not sure the Hagel trade is a bust just yet. Hawks still need to make first round picks in 23 and 24. You can already see Tampa is slowly declining. Right now the 23 pick is around 20, but they are only a few points from being out of the playoffs. The 24 pick could be a lottery pick.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Trade Toews and Kane for draft picks.
2. Tank and draft Bedard
3. Trade Bedard for Toews and Kane back!
4. Raaawwwrrr!!!

Kidding y'all.
Let's just say Toews and Kane are gone.
Who the fuck is the captain on this "team"?
Is Daze's back healed up yet?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm still hoping that we can get something somehow worked out to get us another first this year to bundle up and have 2 lottery picks

I also go through this silly exercise, of hope…

We need two in the top 4 damnit. I want Bedard AND Fantilli and sign Cat in free agency. And trade for Panarin. Lol.

But…alas.

The one thought I had about this that makes small sense, is trading Kane plus the late first to move up…

But we would likely need a contender who holds someone else’s higher pick to get this wish.

Seattle would have been interesting, to make Kane their franchise player.

Maybe the Buffalo situation is still the best hope to make Kane a franchise figure and turn around their attendance just as they start to compete. They need his stick and his face and will have a small percentage ticket at years end.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Scary thought.

Can you imagine Jones and Big Johnson as our captains?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Is there more value to grab a late first from a contender now or play the long game and ask for the contenders 2024/2025 first and hope they have fallen off? Regardless, the Hawks have to make hay with their own picks which will be lottery picks for the foreseeable future. What they get for Kane or Toews is nice, but those assets will take a few years to develop unlike the Hawks’ pick which will likely end up on the NHL roster from day 1.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Not sure the Hagel trade is a bust just yet. Hawks still need to make first round picks in 23 and 24. You can already see Tampa is slowly declining. Right now the 23 pick is around 20, but they are only a few points from being out of the playoffs. The 24 pick could be a lottery pick.
If the 24 pick is a lottery pick the Hawks don't get it.

Both picks were lottery protected. Granted, a 24 lottery pick that rolls over to a 25 unprotected pick when the next generational talent comes out isn't a bad thing.

The point is, KD might be able to ace a top ten pick, but After that, he's sus. Accumulating draft capital in the right person's hands is a good thing. The jury is still out if KD and Maciver even know how to evaluate the talent they have put on a premium.

You look at Lafferty and here's the type of player they are trying to get. Fast and hits everything. Then they draft a lanky kid who's slow but a great skater in Rinzel, and trade the type of player they are looking for in Hagel and get two guys who lumber down the ice, one knocks the shit out of people and does nothing more while the other one has a decent(read average) set of hands while playing mostly with top end (for the Hawks) players.

I see alot of confusion so far with the bodies they acquired. That means they have to hit on the draft picks, and after one draft, I'm not sure they're on the same page even then.

Mike Smith, no matter what anybody says, was the architect for those Cup winning teams. He transitioned the Hawks from a dump and chase team into a puck possession team. When Tallon took over he tried making them a dump and chase team then gave up and followed Smiths blueprint while hitting home runs with Toews and Kane.

Who knows, maybe they're waiting to see what the lottery brings before they create an identity for this team...

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Rinzel most definitely was. He would have been there in the second round.
I'm not too keen on taking a draft and stash in the first round, and even on draft day they were saying that's what this kid was. That's not a good look when last draft was around 40 players deep in future NHL'ers.

It's still too early to judge tho. Since time is all fans have, here's hoping they progress in development.

Now, if you look at KD's moves, the Hagel trade is turning into a bust considering Hagel has been playing on three different lines on the Bolts and has stepped in on the first line. Raydish or whatever the fuck his name is is producing at a 25 goals pace. That's not bad, but he's not the type of player KD has preached on wanting to aquire. He's not fast, he isn't overly physical for a guy his size when the other guy the Hawks got in that trade almost has as many hits in half the amount of games, and that draft pick is slowly dropping into the later 20's, which is still a good pick in the draft coming up but it remains to be seen what they do with it.

KD traded an ultimate grinder type in Hagel, who is 24, and an elite wing in Cat who's...24, and they're rebuilding?

The Hawks have three great defensive prospects in Korchinski, Del Mastro, and Allan. The announcers we're gushing over them in the world's and saying this is the future of the Hawks defense. Del Mastro is the best defensive defenseman prospect in some time and Korch and Allan are a pair in Seattle.

I just don't think this rebuild had to break this team of two solid, young players when the goalies in this organization blow
I was not a fan of trading Cat or Dach. Hagel I understood, but you don’t trade 40 goal scoring 24 yr olds. With Dach think they gave up on him way too early, and didn’t like the Nazar pick. Agree with Rinzel

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Is there more value to grab a late first from a contender now or play the long game and ask for the contenders 2024/2025 first and hope they have fallen off? Regardless, the Hawks have to make hay with their own picks which will be lottery picks for the foreseeable future. What they get for Kane or Toews is nice, but those assets will take a few years to develop unlike the Hawks’ pick which will likely end up on the NHL roster from day 1.
There's more value in late first this year. This draft is 50 players deep in borderline good/great future NHL talent compared to the next two drafts which are top heavy in the top five.

No team is going to trade the Hawks draft picks that aren't lottery protected. So trying to accumulate lottery picks without giving up value isn't going to happen. If Cat, a 40 goal NHL scorer, returns a lottery pick and only one at that when many fans were saying the Hawks could bilk out multiple first rounders for the guy, that alone tells you just how much value a lottery pick has in this day.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If the 24 pick is a lottery pick the Hawks don't get it.

Both picks were lottery protected. Granted, a 24 lottery pick that rolls over to a 25 unprotected pick when the next generational talent comes out isn't a bad thing.

The point is, KD might be able to ace a top ten pick, but After that, he's sus. Accumulating draft capital in the right person's hands is a good thing. The jury is still out if KD and Maciver even know how to evaluate the talent they have put on a premium.

You look at Lafferty and here's the type of player they are trying to get. Fast and hits everything. Then they draft a lanky kid who's slow but a great skater in Rinzel, and trade the type of player they are looking for in Hagel and get two guys who lumber down the ice, one knocks the shit out of people and does nothing more while the other one has a decent(read average) set of hands while playing mostly with top end (for the Hawks) players.

I see alot of confusion so far with the bodies they acquired. That means they have to hit on the draft picks, and after one draft, I'm not sure they're on the same page even then.

Mike Smith, no matter what anybody says, was the architect for those Cup winning teams. He transitioned the Hawks from a dump and chase team into a puck possession team. When Tallon took over he tried making them a dump and chase team then gave up and followed Smiths blueprint while hitting home runs with Toews and Kane.

Who knows, maybe they're waiting to see what the lottery brings before they create an identity for this team...
Solid post. I’m not sure what this team identity is currently.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I was not a fan of trading Cat or Dach. Hagel I understood, but you don’t trade 40 goal scoring 24 yr olds. With Dach think they gave up on him way too early, and didn’t like the Nazar pick. Agree with Rinzel
Nah, Dach was a wasted draft pick and deserved to go. There were two defenseman who should have been taken ahead of him and if Dach was the pick he never should have been playing in the NHL right out the draft.

There were times when Dach looked like a stud, and then times when he looked like the worst player on the ice. That's development. That's rushing a 18 year old to play against men.

He has 70% o-zone starts and is still producing at Dachian levels with Caufield on his wing. He is what he is because of poor development

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Exactly. Hagel is a support-tier player, not a cornerstone-tier player. Right guy, wrong time. With the shambles we call a defense (and paying the Bowman premium cap hit for it), he is the type of player who would make us good enough to be stuck in the doldrums of 17-24th place and being consistently not good enough to make the playoffs (or one and done), and not bad enough to draft real talent. Without the ability to acquire defensive talent and actually develop it, the only hope would be defensive talent through the FA/trade market, and that's expensive. Plus, we saw how much that hurt with Seabrook, and how it's hurting with Jones. Jones might not be a bad defenseman, but he's way overpaid.

The Hagels come later.

Same with Debrincat--except he's much better talent. By the time the 'hawks would have the backend talent to compete, he'd be in his 30's. Same with Hagel. He's good enough that he might keep us out of the cellar.

Dach? He was floundering here; he needed the change of scenery. The previous management ruined him for us.

In my opinion the win/loss of the Hagel trade is how those picks turn out. If KD gets a much-needed piece for them, then we win (irrespective of Tampa's situation).
Scary thought.

Can you imagine Jones and Big Johnson as our captains?
We've had worse, but it would be a bad situation. Somehow I don't think Johnson gets a letter. I would think it would be Jones/Murphy/probably Tyler Johnson/Domi/HappyToSeeYou. The only leadership that Johnson has is teaching the young guys that parents are never to be trusted.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. Hagel is a support-tier player, not a cornerstone-tier player. Right guy, wrong time. With the shambles we call a defense (and paying the Bowman premium cap hit for it), he is the type of player who would make us good enough to be stuck in the doldrums of 17-24th place and being consistently not good enough to make the playoffs (or one and done), and not bad enough to draft real talent. Without the ability to acquire defensive talent and actually develop it, the only hope would be defensive talent through the FA/trade market, and that's expensive. Plus, we saw how much that hurt with Seabrook, and how it's hurting with Jones. Jones might not be a bad defenseman, but he's way overpaid.

The Hagels come later.

Same with Debrincat--except he's much better talent. By the time the 'hawks would have the backend talent to compete, he'd be in his 30's. Same with Hagel. He's good enough that he might keep us out of the cellar.

Dach? He was floundering here; he needed the change of scenery. The previous management ruined him for us.

In my opinion the win/loss of the Hagel trade is how those picks turn out. If KD gets a much-needed piece for them, then we win (irrespective of Tampa's situation).

We've had worse, but it would be a bad situation. Somehow I don't think Johnson gets a letter. I would think it would be Jones/Murphy/probably Tyler Johnson/Domi/HappyToSeeYou. The only leadership that Johnson has is teaching the young guys that parents are never to be trusted.

I don’t foresee the defense or the rebuild will take that long with Jones and Korchinski.

That alters my calculus on Dach and Cat, but my issue with Dach is he was not strong. He was big but jelly. Vets loved to knock him about and it prevented him from asserting his skills.

He will likely become strong and be better than what we got for him. A winning style player and extremely valuable to somebodies forecheck line, certainly has potential to be a great pairing guy who is synergistic with lesser guys who have certain skills and attributes.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tampa got their ass handed to em in Detroit last night(it happens)and they're coming off back -back road losses too but they're still 3rd in a tough division with a 6pt hold on the spot at the moment @20-11-1,7-3-0 in their last ten.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd like to know why team "identity" is even a topic when you are talking about a team where probably close to 90% of the current roster won't even be here in the next 2 years.

FYI, for those of you who are wondering if this current regime is competent or not.....consider this.....while KD's been with the organization for quite awhile, he's only worked and learned from one GM over that time.

Stan Bowman

I've questioned hiring "in house" for a total rebuild from day 1. That hasn't changed.