Blackhawks 2022-23 SEASON THREAD

Granada

Liked Posts:
It was no secret that Kane prefered to go to NY to play with his buddy, the Breadman. It's not exactly headline news and it's been that way for months. The Blues moved a lesser player with the near identical scenario as Kane for a better return. Why? The rookie GM in Chicago kept playing up the fact he would do everything in his power to keep Kane happy for what he did here. If he was my GM, he'd be launched the next day. As much as I liked Kaner, it's obvious his days in Chicago were coming to a close.....time for your GM to start improving the team that's paying his salary. Fuck keeping the guy you're moving happy. So while he's jerking around trying to keep old news happy....an experienced GM like Armstrong got a good read on the market place and made his move getting rid of Tarasenko leaving only table scraps left for the Rangers to deal. Leverage had little to do with this. An inexperienced rookie GM ended up getting played....a GM that got the majority of his GM knowledge from fucking Bowman. Hawk fans better just hope and pray this clown can draft. Hiring a GM in house, particularly this house, was a terrible decision.
Whether you want to admit it or not, Davidson's hands were indeed tied here; that is what a NMC does, lol. Kane had all the leverage; anyone dismissive of that refuses to accept reality. Kane dragged his feet, which led to the Rangers signing Tarasenko. It's curious you lay all the blame on Davidson but none on Kane, who only truly expressed his desire for New York to Davidson (and the world) after the Tarasenko trade had already gone through. Then he limits Davidson to only New York after that, on top of it.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Do you not understand Bowmanson had almost a year to trade Kane?

Also, Kane didn’t have a no trade clause, he had a no movement clause. It was also Bowmanson pushing things back every month telling the media he hadn’t even talked to Kane about a trade. That, is the problem.

This paltry return falls on “the new GM” who just so happens to have been with this organization since 2012 in an executive position and has been an assistant GM since 2018.

If the goal is to bottom out, there were ample opportunities to trade Kane at the draft and Toews during the season. He chose not to believing at the deadline their prices would sky rocket.

They obviously didn’t.

Now, you can go on bleating about “leverage” and “at least it’s something” all you want, but I see a organization that held onto two of their greatest players for no other reason then to sell tickets until they had to move them, and it reeks of Wirtz’s being Wirtz’s.

And you can go on about draft picks but unless you actually hit on those draft picks you did nothing but scratch off a losing lottery ticket.

Low first rounders in any draft outside of this year aren’t anything better then a third round pick this year.

Oh wait….once the Hawks started this miserable rebuild i actually started studying the next few drafts until 2026. And I can tell you none of those first round picks will amount to anything better then the lottery picks the Hawks will have. I would rather have the second round pick this year then a first rounder in 24.

You will see when it’s 2027 and this team is still dog piss unless they hit on every single pick this year. Just wait
Um, if all they cared about was selling tickets, why wouldn't the Hawks just re-sign them? I guess you think Toews will be re-signed next year?

This thinking is just off-base. I get you're mad because you were expecting more, but you're completely ignoring Davidson's track record up until this point, where he's shed guys like Hagel and Debrincat the second there was an opportunity to do so. If there was an opportunity to move Kane at the deadline for a worthwhile return, there's zero doubt he would have done it. Throw in the fact that Kane had the power to veto any deal, and it's easy to see why nothing materialized until zero hour, when he finally threw Davidson a bone. And that's not a knock on Kane; it's just fact.

Kane didn't make up his mind until it was too late. Davidson sure as shit was never re-signing him, because the guy has been all about the rebuild since Day 1, as evident by Hagel and Debrincat.

To assume Davidson wasn't itching to trade him or Toews the second he could is just beyond fucking silly.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Um, if all they cared about was selling tickets, why wouldn't the Hawks just re-sign them? I guess you think Toews will be re-signed next year?
Toews is probably calling it a career. Hawks fans will be lucky if he plays one more home game.

This thinking is just off-base. I get you're mad because you were expecting more, but you're completely ignoring Davidson's track record up until this point, where he's shed guys like Hagel and Debrincat the second there was an opportunity to do so. If there was an opportunity to move Kane at the deadline for a worthwhile return, there's zero doubt he would have done it. Throw in the fact that Kane had the power to veto any deal, and it's easy to see why nothing materialized until zero hour, when he finally threw Davidson a bone. And that's not a knock on Kane; it's just fact.
Again, he had a year to trade him. Neither you or I can confirm with certainty there wasn’t a time when teams were calling in on Kane and if there was an opportunity to trade him. We can go on the speculation from the media and if that’s the case, the Av’s were interested at the draft and the Sens were peeking in around November so the leakers say. There’s also the rumor before the Rags traded for Tarasenko the package would have included the first the Blews got.

And if that’s the case, Bowmanson sat on his ass instead of putting pressure on Kane to get the fuck out for the betterment of the team.

Kane didn't make up his mind until it was too late. Davidson sure as shit was never re-signing him, because the guy has been all about the rebuild since Day 1, as evident by Hagel and Debrincat.
He should have gotten rid of Kane and Toews first, then.

To assume Davidson wasn't itching to trade him or Toews the second he could is just beyond fucking silly.
He wasn’t. Or he would have.

Like I said, I like the second round pick this year more then a first rounder next year. These next few drafts outside of 23 are top heavy without a lot of depth and the Hawks will have that covered with their picks alone. I’m not buying into the smoke screen that all these draft picks will equal great players until the picks are made and those players are in the nhl making a difference.

Long story short- they needed to focus on this draft coming up instead of down the road because of the depth of this draft year.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
39-FF6-BE5-12-E3-4-AA0-B3-F9-CC68-D7225-BEA.png
If this is true, then both sides were acting like bitches thru the whole ordeal.

Granada

Liked Posts:
View attachment 26687
If this is true, then both sides were acting like bitches thru the whole ordeal.
Both sides? Not really.

This proves my point: the minute Kane "stopped dithering," Davidson moved him. He would have done it earlier -- and had more leverage -- if Kane made up his mind earlier.

Every single move Davidson has made up to this point has signaled he had zero intentions of ever re-signing Kane or Toews. That's not speculation. You don't trade guys like Debrincat, Hagel, and hell even Lafferty if you're planning on re-signing aging injury-prone veterans.

Davidson has gone on record saying there were multiple teams calling about Kane at the deadline, but his hands were tied with the NMC and with Kane's indecision. The end.

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I ll I can say be happy you got something for Kane. I remember the time the Leafs had Sundin as a ufa the following season and a NMC, he did the same as Kane as in just kept putting it off about a possible move, the media and fans here was all over the Leafs for trying to not move him. In the end Sundin didn't want to move(which is his right since you gave him the NMC) so the Leafs got nothing and media and fans were all over Sundin for not leaving and after seasons end he signed with Vancouver. In the end it really is up to the player so you can try and pressure them but they have the final choice. I truly think Kane wanted to stick out this season and who knows maybe sign again with the Hawks (and be a lifer Hawk)but when you watch piece after piece get dealt and the team truly bottom out and your personal stats go to s*** and they don't look like they really want to resign you. Then he probably thought forget it this ain't worth it and decided to stick it to them in his own way.

Last edited:

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Do you not understand Bowmanson had almost a year to trade Kane?

Also, Kane didn’t have a no trade clause, he had a no movement clause. It was also Bowmanson pushing things back every month telling the media he hadn’t even talked to Kane about a trade. That, is the problem.

This paltry return falls on “the new GM” who just so happens to have been with this organization since 2012 in an executive position and has been an assistant GM since 2018.

If the goal is to bottom out, there were ample opportunities to trade Kane at the draft and Toews during the season. He chose not to believing at the deadline their prices would sky rocket.

They obviously didn’t.

Now, you can go on bleating about “leverage” and “at least it’s something” all you want, but I see a organization that held onto two of their greatest players for no other reason then to sell tickets until they had to move them, and it reeks of Wirtz’s being Wirtz’s.

And you can go on about draft picks but unless you actually hit on those draft picks you did nothing but scratch off a losing lottery ticket.

Low first rounders in any draft outside of this year aren’t anything better then a third round pick this year.

Oh wait….once the Hawks started this miserable rebuild i actually started studying the next few drafts until 2026. And I can tell you none of those first round picks will amount to anything better then the lottery picks the Hawks will have. I would rather have the second round pick this year then a first rounder in 24.

You will see when it’s 2027 and this team is still dog piss unless they hit on every single pick this year. Just wait

View attachment 26687
so first they had over a year to move Kane..

Then you post that it was Kane holding things up

You're all over the place here.. you cant blame the GM when its Kanes "dithering" that held things up.

As I said.. when and where Kane gets traded is on Kane, thats how it works.

The "paltry return" is 100% because Kane only wanted the Rangers, so if the Rangers are not bidding against anyone then your return is going to be "paltry" how are you not understanding this?

It is what it is.. you either keep Kane and get nothing for him.. Increase the chance of winning games (less chance of getting Bedard) or take whatever you can get. The Rangers know this so there is not going to be a huge haul.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
At this point it's moot. The question becomes do we root for them to get to the western conf finals and take the low 24 first or out early and see where our 23 second falls? I assume the first will always be better no matter how strong the draft? But this is a weird one.

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
View attachment 26711
Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli

Hearing Dallas Stars #TexasHockeyView attachment 26708 are working on acquiring Max Domi from #BlackhawksView attachment 26709. There's a few layers to it, so many take a little time to execute, but believe Anton Khudobin's contract involved to make the money work.

Max Domi a scratch for roster management vs Dallas tonight, and recall Reichel. poor Reichel playing with basically no one now great for development. LOL

KBIB

Liked Posts:
At this point it's moot. The question becomes do we root for them to get to the western conf finals and take the low 24 first or out early and see where our 23 second falls? I assume the first will always be better no matter how strong the draft? But this is a weird one.
We take the second rounder unless we are drafting in the top 14 with the Rangers pick.

15 and below in 2024 would be third round picks this year.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Max Domi a scratch for roster management vs Dallas tonight, and recall Reichel. poor Reichel playing with basically no one now great for development. LOL
Well…he’s sort of playing with his Rockford line mates….

That’s a positive I guess….

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stars flew over my house on the way to Midway last night.
I waved at their plane.

Granada

Liked Posts:
View attachment 26711
Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli

Hearing Dallas Stars #TexasHockeyView attachment 26708 are working on acquiring Max Domi from #BlackhawksView attachment 26709. There's a few layers to it, so many take a little time to execute, but believe Anton Khudobin's contract involved to make the money work.
Yeah Khudobin was thrown in to make Domi fit, but it also isn't a bad idea because I highly doubt Mrazek will be re-signed next year; and even on a rebuild, you need a competent goalie.

Ironically, I'm more upset about this return than the Kane return, considering the year Domi was having, his age, the fact he could be a competent top-six center for a team, the fact he didn't have an NMC, etc. Maybe "upset" is too strong a word, I just think it's blah. It would have been nice to get at least a B prospect back instead of Khudobin, who Dallas was probably going to let walk in the off-season anyway.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'd always take the higher pick, although it would be hilarious to see the Rangers go out in the first round after making all these high-profile deadline splashes.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Anyone actually watch the Rangers game last night? Had a free Center Ice preview so I couldn't resist. Kane got a standing ovation when he stepped onto the ice during pre-game and got cheers every time he touched the puck in the first period. He was buzzing at times, but wow, did he pass up some glorious shooting opps, especially on the PP in the 1st -- way too fucking cute, trying to find his BFF Panarin. Even Gallant alluded to it during his post-game presser, saying they were too cute on the PP, no doubt he was talking about Kane there, at least in my view.

He did almost hook up with Panarin for an assist on a goal. He had about 3-4 shots but should have had at least 2-3 more. Was a minus 2. Looked pretty bad on Ottawa's empty netter. It was funny, the crowd was buzzing for Kane, but it was Tarasenko who had a phenomenal game.

I watched more of this game than the Chicago game. I tried flipping back and forth at first, but immediately saw Mrazek give up a juicy rebound for the first goal and said, "fuck this," lol. The Rangers game was much more interesting. Motte got absolutely destroyed on the boards with a dirty hit, really hate saying this, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't have a concussion and/or Watson doesn't get suspended.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Anyone actually watch the Rangers game last night? Had a free Center Ice preview so I couldn't resist. Kane got a standing ovation when he stepped onto the ice during pre-game and got cheers every time he touched the puck in the first period. He was buzzing at times, but wow, did he pass up some glorious shooting opps, especially on the PP in the 1st -- way too fucking cute, trying to find his BFF Panarin. Even Gallant alluded to it during his post-game presser, saying they were too cute on the PP, no doubt he was talking about Kane there, at least in my view.

He did almost hook up with Panarin for an assist on a goal. He had about 3-4 shots but should have had at least 2-3 more. Was a minus 2. Looked pretty bad on Ottawa's empty netter. It was funny, the crowd was buzzing for Kane, but it was Tarasenko who had a phenomenal game.

I watched more of this game than the Chicago game. I tried flipping back and forth at first, but immediately saw Mrazek give up a juicy rebound for the first goal and said, "fuck this," lol. The Rangers game was much more interesting. Motte got absolutely destroyed on the boards with a dirty hit, really hate saying this, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't have a concussion and/or Watson doesn't get suspended.
I missed every game last night...except for the ENG against us.
Whether you want to admit it or not, Davidson's hands were indeed tied here; that is what a NMC does, lol. Kane had all the leverage; anyone dismissive of that refuses to accept reality. Kane dragged his feet, which led to the Rangers signing Tarasenko. It's curious you lay all the blame on Davidson but none on Kane, who only truly expressed his desire for New York to Davidson (and the world) after the Tarasenko trade had already gone through. Then he limits Davidson to only New York after that, on top of it.
Precisely, I don't think people realized the power Kane had here with his NMC. The brass tries to pressure Kane all he has to do is flip them the bird, rescind his offer to waive his NMC, and then sign elsewhere this summer giving the 'hawks nothing for him. Hell, if he really wanted to put the thumbscrews to the brass the could start going on a tear, showcasing his skills to maximize his UFA potential, and kill two stones with one bird by also affecting the tank negatively and trying to win as many games as possible.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The trade: The Blackhawks trade forward Max Domi and goalie prospect Dylan Wells to the Stars for goalie Anton Khudobin and a 2025 second-round pick.

Thoughts?
I'm impressed that KD was able to move without any salary retained, which means we still have 2 RSA slots next season. Plus if we take it as axiom that your roster isn't filled until it is, I think it was a good move. The most picks stockpiled, the more of a chance of a hit, and surplus players can be moved off.

Going into next season, we have 7 FWD slots taken up at $12.25M, 3 defensive slots at 18.4M, and 1 goalie slot at 3.8M, That leave the 'hawks with $43M to spend next season max, and $24M minimum to spend to the cap floor--plus/minus 1M. That's a good chuck of cap space we can weaponize.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Rangers weren’t going to trade for Kane until TDL week. Even at 75 % retained, it’s best to wait until Kane’s daily cap hit was maximized in Chicago. This is why they swung for Tarasenko early because his cap hit is 3 million less.