Blackhawks feel pressure for name change

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They should change the mascot to a Blackhawk helicopter ?
Ya know...even though the only people who actually have any say are the Sauk...if this goes down that would be fitting seeing as how the team was named after the Black Hawk machine gun regiment, and the helicopter is just the natural military progression. Kinda keeps the roots of the team name intact without moving to that ugly logo that keeps resurfacing for some reason.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I can understand the redskins changing, and the Cleveland Indians didnt have the best logo with Chief Wahoo so i kind of get it but thought they ditched the logo anyway? But what the hell is wrong with the Blackhawks name and logo? Is it because its an Indian? Well Chicago is an a Indian word so I guess we are going to have to change that as well? At some point common sense needs to be brought back. People need to ignore the very loud group that is offended by everything, you will never please them so stop trying..

Granada

Liked Posts:
Changing the name is dumb.

At this point, the way I see it is this: if you're passionate about something like this either way (I stress, either way), you're wasting your energy. The world won't end if they don't change the name, and it won't end if they do.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can understand the redskins changing, and the Cleveland Indians didnt have the best logo with Chief Wahoo so i kind of get it but thought they ditched the logo anyway? But what the hell is wrong with the Blackhawks name and logo? Is it because its an Indian? Well Chicago is an a Indian word so I guess we are going to have to change that as well? At some point common sense needs to be brought back. People need to ignore the very loud group that is offended by everything, you will never please them so stop trying..
Having a dead,tortured human being on a jersey should be a relic of the past.....

Some people are offended by everything and some are offended by nothing. What societies find offensive changes....common sense should tell you that. Whole towns used to attend lynching's and Bar-B-Ques where Black men were burned to death for entertainment and not many found THAT offensive back then....some still don't.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Then what is?

would you find it acceptable to have a name

Chicago white trash and mascot be a white guy with a farmers tan? Or Chicago Pakistani and have the mascot be a cab driver? Or Chicago Jews and have the mascot be an Orthodox Jew?

the names redskins and Indians I find legit to be insulting. I really don’t find the braves chiefs and Blackhawks insulting but I’m not a native. I could see cartoon depictions of natives for braves chiefs and Blackhawks could be insulting. I could see slogans like commit to the Indian to be insulting.

I don’t think the intention by these clubs has been to insult. But let’s be real here why even bother with the slippery slope. Actually Blackhawks have it easy name itself is not insulting just change the meaning behind it and dump stupid slogans.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Having a dead,tortured human being on a jersey should be a relic of the past.....
why? If your honoring that person then whats the problem? almost 2.5 billion people dont have a problem with a dead tortured person as a symbol for their religion.

It can be a fine line with honoring vs mocking but I see nothing that is mocking with the Blackhawks.

greg23

Liked Posts:

Chicago white trash and mascot be a white guy with a farmers tan? Or Chicago Pakistani and have the mascot be a cab driver? Or Chicago Jews and have the mascot be an Orthodox Jew?

the names redskins and Indians I find legit to be insulting. I really don’t find the braves chiefs and Blackhawks insulting but I’m not a native. I could see cartoon depictions of natives for braves chiefs and Blackhawks could be insulting. I could see slogans like commit to the Indian to be insulting.

I don’t think the intention by these clubs has been to insult. But let’s be real here why even bother with the slippery slope. Actually Blackhawks have it easy name itself is not insulting just change the meaning behind it and dump stupid slogans.

I wonder if the Irish are gathering to protest...someone get Notre Dame on the horn and warn them they're next.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I wonder if the Irish are gathering to protest...someone get Notre Dame on the horn and warn them they're next.
That's what u take from @BEARZOMBIE and his thoughtful, reasoned post? You're outraged at something that is not even a thing?

greg23

Liked Posts:
That's what u take from @BEARZOMBIE and his thoughtful, reasoned post? You're outraged at something that is not even a thing?

A midget leprechaun in a top hat ready to fight

Seems like a racist imagery.....fking white supremacists.

Can't believe this isn't a thing yet.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

Maybe it is idk I’m not Irish. But the gov didn’t stick the Irish on reservations either. I get it talking about this stuff is annoying. And like I said I’m not a native either maybe they don’t care about the name, mascot, and slogans. But if they did why disrespect them?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the name and logo must be changed...

Chicago Blackhawks simply become the Chicago Hawks.

Use the same color scheme and patterns, but do a logo of a Hawk.

We already fucking call them the Hawks more than the Blackhawks anyways.

Granada

Liked Posts:

You're using a ton of hyperbole here.

I remember when Italians felt the Sopranos was derogatory to all Italians. Some (even those who weren't Italian) wanted the show to end and called for that, because they saw it as stereotypical. I'm Italian, and I didn't give a shit, and never found it at all derogatory. There are Native Americans out there who have and would say the same thing: they really don't find any offense what so ever and feel like being remembered is better than being forgotten or whitewashed.

That said, I don't know why people are always so defensive when it comes to calling it for what it is. Let's not pretend that cancel culture isn't real and that these name changes aren't a byproduct of that -- just call it for what is. It's no coincidence, especially when you look at Chicago itself, with renaming LSD, etc. Whether cancel culture is "good" or effective or not is another argument, but to say it doesn't exist in today's day and age is ignoring reality. It has always existed, but never to the extent that it does today, particularly thanks to social media.

Like I said, I think it's silly to be so worked up about it either way.

Granada

Liked Posts:

Actually, there have been calls for that.

I remember talking with a buddy of mine who's Irish, and he said that the way the wrist is bent in the one logo is also offensive to some, because it illustrates some sort of common Irish ailment (or something like that). Can't remember exactly now, or maybe he was talking out of his ass.

I think eventually, the attention will turn to them, once all the other obvious examples (Chiefs, Blackhawks) are gone. That's the slippery slope.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You're using a ton of hyperbole here.

I remember when Italians felt the Sopranos was derogatory to all Italians. Some (even those who weren't Italian) wanted the show to end and called for that, because they saw it as stereotypical. I'm Italian, and I didn't give a shit, and never found it at all derogatory. There are Native Americans out there who have and would say the same thing: they really don't find any offense what so ever and feel like being remembered is better than being forgotten or whitewashed.

That said, I don't know why people are always so defensive when it comes to calling it for what it is. Let's not pretend that cancel culture isn't real and that these name changes aren't a byproduct of that -- just call it for what is. It's no coincidence, especially when you look at Chicago itself, with renaming LSD, etc. Whether cancel culture is "good" or effective or not is another argument, but to say it doesn't exist in today's day and age is ignoring reality. It has always existed, but never to the extent that it does today, particularly thanks to social media.

Like I said, I think it's silly to be so worked up about it either way.
I think we have a diff definition of cancel culture. Not boycotting the hawks no matter what they do. Didn’t stop watching baseball or football cause of nicknames. When I hear cancel culture I think what happened to Gina carano and not this. And I’m ? against that. Changing names of sports teams cause they are not acceptable isn’t cancel culture to me.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
why? If your honoring that person then whats the problem? almost 2.5 billion people dont have a problem with a dead tortured person as a symbol for their religion.

It can be a fine line with honoring vs mocking but I see nothing that is mocking with the Blackhawks.
Christians themselves propagate the image of the crucified Christ and last I checked nobody has JC on a hockey jersey. What would happen if it was the crucifiers using the image instead? How would that go over?

Chief Black Hawk was considered a 'demon in human form' by the US govt troops who slaughterd his family and people right before his eyes and then paraded him around as a trophy in a cage...........that's how America "honored" him.

Aren't there other religions like Islam that don't allow any images of there main Icon.....since we're talking religion.

Do you believe that modern day Native Americans actually look like the caricatures on sports jerseys? Have you seen or are you familiar with life on the 'res' or the struggles Native Americans face today.

But hey.....I paid $400 for a fucking shirt with a picture of a human being on it and I'm gonna wear it.....offensive or not.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
BULLSHIT!!!!!

It was the Irish THEMSELVES who named their team and mascot.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Who came up with that name and logo?

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe it is idk I’m not Irish. But the gov didn’t stick the Irish on reservations either. I get it talking about this stuff is annoying. And like I said I’m not a native either maybe they don’t care about the name, mascot, and slogans. But if they did why disrespect them?
Today's Native Americans much like the people of Appalachia and other rural communities are battling issues like poverty,alcoholism and drug abuse and the more recent problem of Native women disappearances on the 'res'.....I doubt they have much resources to put into what some hockey team wears on the jersey. That said,I still haven't found a single Native American association in favor of any logo depicting them for commercial use.

Is there a more marginalized and trivialized population in the country than it's original inhabitants?

This is what happened when Native American did take issue with something MUCH more important than what's on some stupid fucking jersey.......

There's no such thing as the 'voiceless'..... only the intentionally unheard.